PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Skinner Auction is OUTSTANDING!

Mandoist
Oct-03-2010, 5:43am
WOW! Luthiers take note -- loads of ca. 1950 wood lots in this auction!! I've never seen anything like it = Gabon Ebony logs, Pernambuco logs & blanks of all sizes/shapes, various fiddle top/back blanks and blocks...and much more.

Also a few lots of guitar forms/stencils, etc.

Music photo collectors will be frothing at the mouth = Vintage musician photos (including an autographed Dave Apollon photo) and various related paper goods, all nicely divided into separate lots; famous & obscure classical violinists, New England musicians (known and unknown), an Elvis ca. 1950 black & white ...and so much more.

Of course, some very cool instruments...rather interesting and some estimated at fairly low figures. The Brescian Mandolin (Rinaldi ca. 1890) is a keeper!

Well worth perusing the catalog -- if just for the education!
Auction is in Boston, MA -- Sun., October 10 at noon.
I sure miss those Skinner gatherings.

Skinner's Inc. (http://www.skinnerinc.com/asp/cataloguesearch.asp)

Jim Garber
Oct-03-2010, 10:57am
The Brescian Mandolin (Rinaldi ca. 1890) is a keeper!

Skinner's Inc. (http://www.skinnerinc.com/asp/cataloguesearch.asp)

Kevin: did you see or play these in person... I assume you are still in Europe, right? I can't tell whether that Rinaldi is a flatback or not, tho I assume so from the shape.

Auctions often have low estimates to get people drooling. As I always say, you just need tow equally insane people to drive up the price to standard retail or more. For instance, a Lyon & Healy A for $1400-1800? Aw, c'mon!!

Well, I miss those Skinner auctions, too. Oh well.

delsbrother
Oct-03-2010, 9:47pm
I find the Gibson jigs/forms (http://www.skinnerinc.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=2520B+++++16A&refno=++873817) quite interesting..

Also, what make is the mandocello in the picture in this group (http://www.skinnerinc.com/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=2520B++++468+&refno=++868853)?

Mandoist
Oct-04-2010, 4:55am
Kevin: did you see or play these in person... I assume you are still in Europe, right? I can't tell whether that Rinaldi is a flatback or not, tho I assume so from the shape.

Auctions often have low estimates to get people drooling. As I always say, you just need tow equally insane people to drive up the price to standard retail or more. For instance, a Lyon & Healy A for $1400-1800? Aw, c'mon!!

Yes, in Europe...and wishing I could dive into those boxes of photos this week.

Don't know about the Rinaldi, but it's a cool item. I was told at a shop in Amsterdam that, in VG-EX condition, they're almost as rare as the Loar A5 these days?

I'm aware of the low-balling guess-timates at auction houses...but the last few Skinner events have indeed seen some low prices paid.

Hoping to make the Spring auction in Boston. Can't wait to smell that room full of goodies!

JeffD
Oct-04-2010, 2:53pm
Take a look at the bowlback mandolin ensembles pictured. Great stuff.

2520B - Lot 466

Jennifer
Oct-04-2010, 8:08pm
Oh my gosh, the headstock on that Brescian mandolin!

JeffD
Oct-05-2010, 9:22am
Would you luthiers buy wood at such an auction? How do you know how aged it is? Would you bid from the pictures or would you have to put your hands on it, so to speak?

CES
Oct-05-2010, 9:56am
The Alvarez F4 copy looks pretty sweet, though I can imagine seeing some fret wear even in the photos...

Jim Garber
Oct-05-2010, 11:19am
I was just looking at an older thread about Skinner's auctions. For all those intending to bid, be aware of this:

Buyer's Premium
Bidders should keep in mind that a buyer's premium is added to the final hammer price. At Skinner, the buyer's premium is 18.5% for each item purchased up to and including $200,000. A final bid over $200,000 has a 10% buyer's premium. The buyers premium on property purchased via on-line auctions will be the amount equal to 22.5% of the final bid price up to and including $200,000, plus 15% of the final bid price over $200,000.

Massachusetts Sales Tax
Massachusetts 6.25% sales tax is due on all purchases picked up from the gallery or shipped via an agent. Buyers holding a valid U.S.-issued resale certificate are exempt from tax provided all the necessary paperwork is current and on file with Skinner, Inc.

Skinner's How to Buy page (http://www.skinnerinc.com/buy-sell/howtobuy.php)

That's a hefty chunk of change that the auction house gets. It used to be 10% as I recall.

I figured it out: if I won something for $2000 it would cost me another $575 on top of that for buyer's premium and taxes. Phew!

On top of that, Skinner's takes commissions from sellers as well:

Skinner's standard commission rates for a seller are:
--10% for items selling for $7,500 or more;
--15% for items selling between $2,000 and $7,500; and
--20% for items selling for less than $2,000, with a minimum commission rate of $30 per lot.

Mandoist
Oct-05-2010, 2:21pm
Yes, Skinner's gets their % but are in the same ballpark as Mandolin Brothers. Both have worldy connections and the finest of reputations.

re: the wood. I believe much of it (do not remember which lots?) is ca. 1950.

Jim Garber
Oct-05-2010, 2:56pm
Yes, Skinner's gets their % but are in the same ballpark as Mandolin Brothers. Both have worldy connections and the finest of reputations.

I didn't mean to disparage Skinner's -- I have dealt with them and I am sure that they are competitive with other auction houses these days. In the old days, tho, I recall Sotheby's and Christie's and others were charging 10% to buyers. My intent was to make sure that those of us who were unaware of auction practices were cognizant of the fact that buyer's as well as sellers have tom pay for the privilege of winning a bid.

Imagine buying a $2000 instrument and then being informed that you will have to pay an additional fee of $450 plus the tax. just a caveat, lest we become too excited about this auction and scoring a super deal. Besides, it is an auction and has bidders live, over the telephones and over the Internet. Lots of competition. I will be curious about the results.

Mandolin Brothers, as well as any of the vintage dealers does charge the seller for consignment fees but never AFAIK charges the buyers.

JeffD
Oct-07-2010, 9:52am
I have a luthier buddy who is making me a fiddle even as I write this. I see how carefully he picks out a piece of wood. I don't know all that he is looking, feeling for, or listening for as he inspects and prods and thumps. He looks at wood more closely than I look at a finished instrument.

But I guess luthiers buy wood over the internet all the time, and buy wood sight unseen from reputable dealers, so I suppose buying wood from an auction is no different.

nickster60
Oct-07-2010, 12:30pm
That auction also has some very fine violins and bows but they usually do. It seems those prices have also come down a bit. I agree some very nice wood it the auction. Raw and finished

Jim Garber
Oct-07-2010, 3:49pm
It seems those prices have also come down a bit.

Estimates mean nothing and IMHO they seem all over the place. Usually they are low so that the auctioneers can feel they did well in the sale and potential bidders can be attracted thinking they might make a killing. The results are really what the selling price is, not the estimate.

Jim Garber
Oct-11-2010, 3:53pm
If you look at the catalog for that sale online now they have the seelling prices. Overall on the instruments I looked at they are pretty much within the estimates, surprisingly enough. Someone got a good deal on the Lyon & Healy A for $1800 unless, of course, it has some problems. I have to look at the prices further this evening.

bones12
Oct-11-2010, 5:21pm
For those of you who feel that paying more than several dollars for a pick is difficult, be glad you do not need Lot # 87 and the $20,145 fiddle bow. I do think it must have a beautiful balance and feel in your hand however. Doug in Vermont

Charles E.
Oct-11-2010, 9:20pm
Some one did alright on the A-3 too. The Gibson gold top Les Paul..... $ 80,000.oo!

Jennifer
Oct-11-2010, 10:34pm
I was surprised that the Martin uke went for $1,400.

Jim Garber
Oct-11-2010, 10:40pm
I was surprised that the Martin uke went for $1,400.

Surprised that it went for so much or so little?

Jennifer
Oct-11-2010, 11:12pm
So much, especially given the "possible overspray".

f5loar
Oct-13-2010, 4:34pm
whomever got the 40's Dave Apollon signed photo of him playing his '37 F5 sure got a good deal on it. Very nice pro photo of Dave.