PDA

View Full Version : New extra extra long mandolin from Newell

Rvl
Sep-30-2010, 9:49am
Well I have a short scale(13") , regular scale(13.75) and now have a extra long (15.5")being built

I was looking for a fuller sound, with more definition on bass
I researched all of the available mandolins and decided to order a Newell mandolin

Thanks

Robert VanLane

Mike Black
Sep-30-2010, 10:04am
This looks very cool. Is it going to be a Mandola? Not sure if you will be able to keep an E string on that without breaking. I built a 5 string electric with that scale once and never could find an E that wouldn't break. That's when another luthier friend told me about the 30" rule. (something along the lines of "a guitar E string will always break if over 30 inches, same thing goes when you cut the length in half.)

Mandocarver
Sep-30-2010, 10:06am
Looks great - I like the idea too, I just had no idea you could stretch to 15.5 incjhes without breaking the E string. What strings will you use?
Cheers,
Dean

Markkunkel
Sep-30-2010, 10:23am
Great selection of builder, Robert, and a nice build picture. I have one of Keith's longer-scale mandos (mine's 14.8") and I LOVE it... it holds up to standard strings very nicely, and has exactly that sort of rich and full (without being boomy) sound you're after. Enjoy, and keep us posted on the outcome, please!

MK

Rvl
Sep-30-2010, 10:51am
If you run 10 15 22 34 or 36 thru a string calculator you will see that it is very plausible
I might try a little lighter, like maybe a 9.5 or even a 9
Higher tension will give me more definition
With a 15.5" scale I could even experiment with mandola tuning , but I since I already have 2 short scale mandola's
I am ordering a Newell mandola with an extra extra long scale too

Thanks

Robert VanLane

Rvl
Sep-30-2010, 10:53am
I ordered the Newell mandolin with 2 graphite bars to counteract twisting and keep the neck as strong and straight as possible

Thanks

Robert VanLane

Rvl
Oct-18-2010, 6:20pm
Nearing completion

Thanks

Robert

trevor
Oct-19-2010, 4:32am
I have had several 16" scale mandola/mandolins. On most of them the top E was fine with a 0.009.

DerTiefster
Oct-19-2010, 10:46am
Does any of the titanium string sets have a titanium E? I'd think it would take (significantly) less tension than a steel string, but I don't know about tonal issues. Seems like titanium would solve the materials problem, though.

Fliss
Oct-21-2010, 3:50pm
Beautiful looking mandolin, Robert - I hope you will post some soundclips when you have it?

Fliss

Paul Statman
Oct-21-2010, 11:01pm
Well I have a short scale(13") , regular scale(13.75) and now have a extra long (15.5")being built

I was looking for a fuller sound, with more definition on bass
I researched all of the available mandolins and decided to order a Newell mandolin

Thanks

Robert VanLane
Nice-looking mando, there, Robert. Did you check out Mike Vanden's take on this? He builds an F5.5 - rather like an F5 on steroids.

Potosimando
Oct-21-2010, 11:23pm
Sorry to ask a dumb question, but is that maple on the back and sides? I haven't seen maple that straight- and evenly-grained...but that might just be me. I love my normal-scaled Newell flat-top--mine sounds amazingly good for any mandolin, carved or not...and LOUD, even with TI's. You might try Thomastiks in your string experiments (TI's sound terrific on mine), but maybe mandola TI's--that's starting to sound expensive.

Thanks for the photos. That's cool.

Rvl
Oct-22-2010, 8:53am
Big Leaf Maple on the back and sides
I originally ordered it with Ti strings but decided to use the strings he designed this mandolin for
Later on I will try out new strings
I trust that the builder has an idea or sound he feels is right and we should respect that(later on I can explore new avenues and sounds)

Thanks

Robert VanLane

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but is that maple on the back and sides? I haven't seen maple that straight- and evenly-grained...but that might just be me. I love my normal-scaled Newell flat-top--mine sounds amazingly good for any mandolin, carved or not...and LOUD, even with TI's. You might try Thomastiks in your string experiments (TI's sound terrific on mine), but maybe mandola TI's--that's starting to sound expensive.

Thanks for the photos. That's cool.

DerTiefster
Oct-27-2010, 8:24pm
Robert,

How's it doing for you with that Newell? I saw your mention of string gauges up a bit in post #5, and thought I'd chime in with how nice my 15" Vega 8-string mandola sounds with GHS A240 Mandolin UltraLights in (9 13 20w 32w) strings tuned to mandolin GDAE. Pretty not OK at mandola CGDA, though. One may need thicker strings for mandola tuning at 15" scale.

Jim MacDaniel
Oct-27-2010, 9:28pm
Oooh, nice -- a black-top. Do please keep posting pics as it nears completion.

Rvl
Oct-28-2010, 9:29am
Didnt get it yet
But a 32-09 might be in the future

Thanks

Robert

Robert,

How's it doing for you with that Newell? I saw your mention of string gauges up a bit in post #5, and thought I'd chime in with how nice my 15" Vega 8-string mandola sounds with GHS A240 Mandolin UltraLights in (9 13 20w 32w) strings tuned to mandolin GDAE. Pretty not OK at mandola CGDA, though. One may need thicker strings for mandola tuning at 15" scale.

Rvl
Oct-28-2010, 9:32am
Do you think the GHS will fit a 15.5" scale? (ie are they long enough)

Thanks

Robert VanLane

Robert,

Rvl
Oct-28-2010, 9:35am
Yes I I like black tops, I have one

Oooh, nice -- a black-top. Do please keep posting pics as it nears completion.

DerTiefster
Oct-28-2010, 9:39am
The GHS A240s fit quite well on the 15" Vega mandola and sound lovely. I am really, really happy with this and it may be (quite) a while before I swap out to the mandola strings that would be required to go to CGDA. The A240s do -not- work well at CGDA on this instrument. Certainly other options exist, but the A240s are inexpensive and are so far just what I need.

I did acquire a set of the FW74s to try out, but they'll go on the Breedlove KO this weekend and not the Vega. And someday maybe I'll actually be able to play an instrument after I quit fooling with details and get down to development.

Using the string calculator on Graham McDonald's website, I get 142 lb tension for the 15" mandola at mandolin GDAE, and 152 lb for your 15.5" Newell's scale. J74s calculate out to 228 lb at 15.5" vs. 180 lb at the more Gibsonish 13-7/8" scale. The A240s will be on the gentle side, so you have some larger gauges you could use if the UltraLights aren't enough for you. The J62 80/20 set gives me 190 lb at your scale. The new FW74s calculate to 217 lb. These are just quoted from the calculator as suggestions for you to start your own investigations.

Rvl
Nov-11-2010, 12:14am
I got it last night!!!!!!!!
Very very very nice mandolin
If someone told me this Newell was $2000 , I would believe them
But it only cost $670 !!!!!!!!!
WOW talk about bang for the buck !!!!!!!!!!
Took it to work and playing the heck out of it
Ordering another Newell and putting down a deposit this weekend

Thanks

Robert VanLane
Will take a photo tonight when I get home from work

Ed Goist
Nov-11-2010, 12:20am
Congratulations! Robert, please post pics of the finished mandolin!
I love blacktops, and the pics you posted on 10/18 looked great.
I'm sure we'd all love to see the finished product!

DerTiefster
Nov-11-2010, 12:47am
woo-hoo! And -now- I guess you'll want to play "who can get his clip up first?" among all of the long-scale mandolins out there. Unfortunately, I can't play that game, having no recording knowledge and precious little playing skill. But I'd love to listen to your mandolin, and I'll try to get up to speed on both playing and recording so everyone can hear what a 15" scale Vega mandola sounds like at GDAE.

Robert: I realized on re-reading tonight that I only obliquely answered your question about 15-1/2" scale fitting the GHS-A240s. I'd said they fit on my 15" Vega, which isn't -exactly- the same thing, but is close to an answer. I had to cut some of the wire off even the longest D and A strings, so I'd think a 15-1/2" scale would be no problem.