PDA

View Full Version : This beginner's observations on playing two different mandolins

like2fiddle
Sep-28-2010, 9:37am
Hello, I'm fairly new around here. I've recently taken-up the mandolin and in the hunt for an instrument have ended up with two. (This I justified by using the excuse that I was sending three children off to college and would not have discretionary income available for any personal purchases for the next several years - so I had to move quickly over the summer before tuition was due:grin:)

I have a Rigel A-Natural and transition period (1988) Flatiron 1CH. I like both mandolins, but they are definitely different creatures, and it goes beyond carved top vs. pancake. I find the Rigel is significantly easier to play. I don't know whether it is the radius of the fret board or the lower action, but compared to the Flatiron, the Rigel practically plays itself. I find it much more difficult to get a clean sound out of the Flatiron - it seems I have to place my fingers perfectly on the fretboard in order to get a clear tone, which by the way is beautiful when I can get it. The action is clearly higher on the Flatiron, but it appears to be about normal for this instrument from what information I can find online.

I really don't know enough about mandolins to know whether these two should play so much differently. Am I noticing such a big difference because it's all so new to me? Would I be right to expect that it will become easier to adapt from one instrument to another as I gain playing experience? Or, is there truly such a big difference in playability?

Brent Hutto
Sep-28-2010, 9:53am
Almost certainly the Flatiron you played need some setup work. Sounds like the Rigel does not.

The difference that two or three thousandths at the nut or a slight tweak of the truss rod or even a few frets that aren't level or crowned/seated properly makes on a mandolin is unbelievable compared to guitars, for instance. You're describing exactly what a poorly setup mandolin plays and feels like even if "poorly" is not that far from good.

Tim2723
Sep-28-2010, 9:55am
If we failed to say it earlier, welcome to the Cafe!

It's great to hear a report like that from a relative newcomer. It just gives credence to what the old timers always say:

Set up, set up, set up, and No two mandolins are the same and you have to find the one that fits you no matter the style or who's name is on the headstock. It doesn't matter how good a mandolin sounds in someone else's hands.

As you gain experience you may find yourself moving more easily from mandolin to mandolin. But if the Rigel fits better for now, stick with it. You can lower the action on the flat-top and put it back again if need be, so go ahead and try that.

Laird
Sep-28-2010, 10:04am
Howdy, like2fiddle! Those are a couple nice instruments, and I suspect the difference is quite real. If you're in the neighborhood of Poultney some Tuesday evening, bring 'em by to the bluegrass jam at Back to Vermont. (By the way, there's a Green Mountain Mandos social group on here, though it's not too active.)

like2fiddle
Sep-28-2010, 10:27am
Thanks for the welcome and the replies. Yes, the set-up. And I did not mention that I took the Rigel up to Pete Langdell's place so he could see how it had fared over the past seven years - he did some minor tweaking while the instrument was there, so I know it's set-up properly. I'm really glad to hear that the Flatiron should play as easily. I'm going to have to find someone in my area to check the set-up. The nut seems ok, but the bridge could come down. I've done fiddle set-ups over the years, but never sanded down a mandolin bridge.

Laird, thanks for the invite, might take you up on that some time if I have a Wednesday off - it's a long drive across the state between Poultney and Brownsville, where I live, so I don't imagine I'd be getting home very early Tuesday night! Joined the Green Mountain Mandos last week.

JEStanek
Sep-28-2010, 10:35am
Welcome to the Cafe. A set up should have that Flatiron playing very easily for you.

Jamie