PDA

View Full Version : Trumpet range

rmartinez
Sep-27-2010, 4:16pm
I'm inclined to believe, based on my fledgling experience with jazz, that the trumpet and the mandolin have an awfully similar range. Is this true or completely incorrect? What's the lowest note on a trumpet? This would explain (perhaps) why a few trumpet players have been recommended to me by other jazz listeners/instructors.
rm

Tom Wright
Sep-27-2010, 4:39pm
More like 5-string or mandola. Low b flat on trumpet is one step below the C string. Alto saxophone has same low note.

Pretty much all melody and song happens in this range, even on instruments with lower ranges.

Jordan Ramsey
Sep-27-2010, 5:10pm
Lowest written note for the standard Bb trumpet is an F# (concert E) below middle C. The low C on a mandola would be an octave below middle C. You would have to have a mandola to reach the actual concert range of the Bb trumpet, but notation wise, the mandolin and trumpet are very similar. As a former college trumpet major, my collection of music served me well in learning to read on the mandolin. I just had to skip any low F#'s on the page, or play that phrase up an octave. Just make sure you learn standards, or any music that you will play with others, on concert pitched material, i.e. no "Bb" fake books.

Tom Wright
Sep-27-2010, 7:53pm
Oops, right you are.

Pete Martin
Sep-28-2010, 7:51am
I have transcribed and learned a number of solos by Clifford Brown. Very rarely do I have to tranpose any notes up into the mandolin range.

John Morton
Oct-01-2010, 9:58pm
This is what I use, it's got 'em all: http://www.contrabass.com/pages/frequency.html