PDA

View Full Version : On A Budget

Wilbur Tabacsko
Sep-24-2010, 8:12pm
Here is my second creation built for approximately $250.00. What a joy!

F-2 Dave
Sep-24-2010, 8:19pm
Looks good. Especially for .25K. How does she sound?

jim simpson
Sep-24-2010, 8:30pm
It's a beauty! Great budget for such a nice build.

Wilbur Tabacsko
Sep-24-2010, 8:31pm
Amazing! When I first strung 'er up white I was really impressed. Couldn't keep my hands off it.

JEStanek
Sep-24-2010, 8:51pm
Very nice. Especially considering almost 36% of your budget is the tailpiece! Well done.

Jamie

Paul Statman
Sep-24-2010, 9:56pm
Great job! Beautiful. I wish we could hear it (if only technology could keep up with our insatiable hunger for more mando notes)..
Is that a natural dark streak in the top wood? What woods did you use?

Wilbur Tabacsko
Sep-25-2010, 10:33am
Thanks! Yep, it is natural. I actually glued four pieces together. To get the grain in the correct direction I had to glue it with the dark side there. Top is made from a scrap of western red cedar I had left over from the construction of my loghouse back in '93. Back is from a big ole hollow maple I drug in for firewood. Glad I saved a few chunks of it. Neck is black cherry and walnut that I had laying around. I also used the walnut for peghead veneer. Sides are Stew-Mac.
The tailpiece isn't included in the price. It is from my #1 mando. I was replacing the fretboard on it when I was finishing #2 so I put it on. I had a cheap Stew-Mac tailpiece for #2.

Ron McMillan
Sep-26-2010, 2:37am
I love the appearance of the two-point shape of mandolin, and wish more mainstream manufacturers would include the shape in their ranges. Lovely work, Wilburlin, though I wonder if the F-scroll headstock is 'right' for the two-point body shape? I suspect not, but that's only one guy's opinion. Nice job on the construction, and thanks for reminding us that spending thousands on objects of desire is not always required in order to get a fine, well-playing mandolin.

br