PDA

View Full Version : New 5 string Morici

thistle3585
Sep-23-2010, 7:35pm
I received my five string acoustic from Tom Morici last week and have been having an absolute blast with it. Thought I'd take a break and show it off. The top is sitka, the back and sides are flamed claro walnut and the neck is maple. It has a 14.5" scale. The neck is a bolt on and you can adjust the neck angle without having to remove the neck through a pocket on the back. It came ready to play out of the box but I thought I'd give it a couple weeks to acclimate then see if I needed to do any adjustments. It is very well balanced across all the strings and has a nice oval hole tone but with a bit more sustain. I had no idea what I was going to be getting but it is a real blast to play.

Andrew

Jim Garber
Sep-23-2010, 8:43pm
Very interesting. Is it entirely acoustic or does it have some sort of pickup?

mando.player
Sep-23-2010, 9:21pm
I've often wondered about such a beast. My vision was a Mann 2 point archtop with a floating humbucker. Any chance of some sound clips? Your "playing a 5-string" thread now has some context :) Enjoy.

John Hill
Sep-23-2010, 9:42pm
The action looks way high or is that a trick of the camera?

Jim MacDaniel
Sep-23-2010, 9:42pm
Very cool concept, and what a great body shape and nice looking walnut.

thistle3585
Sep-24-2010, 7:12am
My one regret was that I didn't have Tom install a pickup during the building process.

No, the action is good, so it is just the camera shot. The fretboard has a 12" radius so that might account for the appearance in the photo.

Tom Wright
Sep-24-2010, 8:31am
I might need one eventually, but will have to wait to enjoy my 10-string first. Steel strings? Scale length?

Chip Booth
Sep-24-2010, 1:02pm
Really nice looking instrument! I play a four string archtop that is a bit like that (14.5" scale and walnut back and sides) and I really enjoy it. Now that I am a ten string guy a five string jazz box like that would be fantastic.

62958 62960

Tom Wright, what 10 string are you waiting on?

Tom Wright
Sep-24-2010, 1:10pm
Ordered a 10 from Thomas Buchanan.

http://www.folkmandolin.co.uk/instruments/10mandolin.htm

Is your 4-string CGDA with that longer scale?

djweiss
Sep-24-2010, 3:22pm
Looks great Andrew...I have an acoustic 5 string (Jazzbo) from Paul Lestock, and I really like it. I tend to play swing and blues almost exclusively on it, but occasionally I get caught playing a fiddle tune! The photo below is outdated as Paul installed a Kent Armstrong floating humbucker prior to sending it to me...highly recommended!

Chip Booth
Sep-24-2010, 7:07pm
Really nice dj!