PDA

View Full Version : A treat for all you...

Al Bergstein
Sep-23-2010, 12:55am
I happened to be a fly on the floor at Wintergrass last winter, when, at the end of Mike Marshall's workshop, in walked Darrell Anger, and the two of them demonstrated a little choro for folks. Luis Americano Na Pre 3.

Mike playing a specially built Sullivan 10 string mandola. I hit the record button, and didn't worry if I was framed just right. This is in HD, so you can raise the bar from 360 to 720p and take it full screen if you need to study what Mike's fingers are doing...

Sorry I missed the very start, but I picked it up about 5 seconds in...the ending is particularly fun...

enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRG1kB6_KXw

journeybear
Sep-23-2010, 1:16am
A pretty neat treat, aw reet! Just a couple of guys fooling around ... :mandosmiley: :mandosmiley:

:whistling:

Tracy Fleck
Sep-23-2010, 2:52am
I noticed how their feet are tapping but are hardly ever in sync.

grassrootphilosopher
Sep-23-2010, 4:01am
Quite a nice sound on the video too. What did you film with?

Bertram Henze
Sep-23-2010, 4:17am
...if you need to study what Mike's fingers are doing...

I find it much more interesting what his feet are doing - suddenly I don't feel so bad that mine won't tap in time either :)

Bigtuna
Sep-23-2010, 6:56am
Very nice! That's the first time I've heard Mike play his 10 string Smart.

Dan Hoover
Sep-23-2010, 7:10am
study what his fingers are doing?? ouch..mike,doesn't that hurt?? :grin:very cool...

fAtHanD
Sep-23-2010, 10:14am
I love how neither of them can sit still. Its like the music is emanating from their entire bodies.

JeffD
Sep-23-2010, 10:24am
I think it was something Niles said, (perhaps not, my apologies if I am wrong in either the facts or the attribution), but the more of your body you can get into the music, the better it all comes out.

Al Bergstein
Sep-23-2010, 11:00am
Sorry, did you say that Mike was playing a Smart? I thought he said it was a Sullivan? Isn't that a Sullivan headstock? Oh well, I stand corrected.

I recorded 'wild' off my Panasonic HMC 150 using a separate shotgun mic made by audiotechnica. A very nice mic indeed for about $150. Rode also makes a great shotgun, the standard for many indie video people. But I like the AT.

Dick Hutchings
Sep-23-2010, 11:11am
Where's the video?

I happened to be a fly on the floor at Wintergrass last winter, when, at the end of Mike Marshall's workshop, in walked Darrell Anger, and the two of them demonstrated a little choro for folks. Luis Americano Na Pre 3.

Mike playing a specially built Sullivan 10 string mandola. I hit the record button, and didn't worry if I was framed just right. This is in HD, so you can raise the bar from 360 to 720p and take it full screen if you need to study what Mike's fingers are doing...

Sorry I missed the very start, but I picked it up about 5 seconds in...the ending is particularly fun...

enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRG1kB6_KXw

Tim C.
Sep-23-2010, 2:05pm
Thanks for posting, Al - I must've been sitting right next to you that day, but didn't notice the camera. What a treat!

grassrootphilosopher
Sep-24-2010, 3:50am
I recorded 'wild' off my Panasonic HMC 150 using a separate shotgun mic made by audiotechnica. A very nice mic indeed for about $150. Rode also makes a great shotgun, the standard for many indie video people. But I like the AT.

I kind of thought that there must have been an aditional mic. Thanks for the information. Many youtube concert videos are not really good which is mostly due to the substandard mic-situation. Yours sounds very nice.

Jesse Appelman
Sep-24-2010, 6:48am
[deleted - sorry folks, posted this on the wrong thread...]