PDA

View Full Version : Got a new great Blueridge tenor, now help me on how to play it !

gerardo1000
Sep-21-2010, 7:53am
After many years playing only six strings acoustic guitars, I felt the need to add something different to my arsenal and in the past year I have tried, purchased, often re-sold, many different instruments : octave mandolin, mandolin, mandola.
Among these, my favorite is the mandolin. Then, a few days ago, I stopped at Elderly in Lansing, MI, and discovered some tenor guitars in the showroom. A GoldTone, a Martin LXM tenor, and a Blueridge T 40. Wow ! What a great surprise ! I just LOVED the sound, and on an impulse I bought the one I liked better: a Blueridge T 40.
Now I am at home, and am trying to learn some basic tenor guitar chords with the help of some chord charts that I downloaded from Internet (some chords are very similar to mandolin/mandola chords).
But I could not find any Instruction manual, or CD, or on-line lessons.
Does it mean that I have to learn the instrument by myself ?
Can you suggest some tutorial that will help me to progress, if there is one ? Thanks!

Charles E.
Sep-21-2010, 8:03pm
If you are going to keep it in the traditional tuning, i.e. C-G-D-A you will find a lot more information if you look for tenor banjo tutorials. They are the same. Some people use heavier guage strings ( see previous posts in this forum ) and tune it an octave below the mandolin.

mandroid
Sep-21-2010, 8:20pm
There is the Chicago Tuning , as I heard it called, too .. DGBE , don't need retraining then .. It's a bigger Baritone uke then.

But, yea, Tenor banjo, Viola and Cello, are all CGDA instruments so you have all that literature
going for you ..

Drop by Banjo hangout, they have threads for the 4 string banjo folks too..