PDA

View Full Version : Serial number on Baldassari's unsigned Loar

John Kinn
Sep-19-2010, 10:22am
I have been searching for the late great Baldassari's 1925 unsigned Loar in the Mandolin Archive. Is there anyone who knows the serial number? From records I gather it'a a great mando ( in the hands of a great player). As far as I remember it's lacquer, flowerpot.
Thanks!
John

jartop
Sep-19-2010, 10:52am
http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?51787-Butch-Baldassari-Loar

John Kinn
Sep-19-2010, 12:13pm
Thanks for the link! I think I've read that one before,though...But I still can't find the serial number. Something I've missed?

MikeEdgerton
Sep-19-2010, 1:19pm
I've been looking for that serial number since you posted the message. For whatever reason it's not identified anyplace that I've found.

John Kinn
Sep-19-2010, 3:55pm
I've been looking for that serial number since you posted the message. For whatever reason it's not identified anyplace that I've found.

Does that mean it's not registered in the Mandolin Archive? (and thanks for looking!)

MikeEdgerton
Sep-19-2010, 5:08pm
No, not really, it just means that there isn't anything that identifies it as belonging to Butch.

f5loar
Sep-19-2010, 7:53pm
Butch's falls in the 812XX batch of unsigned Loars that has a flowerpot and no virzi. I would give the whole serial no. but I don't know who has it now and would not give out such confidential information. It is in the archives with photos.

MikeEdgerton
Sep-19-2010, 8:48pm
I assumed it was listed but not identified. Sinclair has the mandolin. Thanks Tom.

AlanN
Sep-19-2010, 9:05pm
Too much scrutiny and probing of something very personal, rather uncomfortable (seems to me anyway).

MikeEdgerton
Sep-19-2010, 9:14pm
Other Loars in the archive have their owners identified, for whatever reason this one isn't. I'm assuming that Dan was asked by Butch not to identify it.

John Kinn
Sep-20-2010, 12:06pm
Thank you all. I had no intention of any kind of scrutiny or probing, I just wanted to find out what was in the Mandolin Archive about the instrument.No bad intentions whatsoever.

carleshicks
Sep-20-2010, 12:51pm
I'll give you a clue, the finger board has been modified. That should narrow down the available options in the Archives.

f5loar
Sep-20-2010, 5:12pm
Most of the Loars/Ferns that do have names attached to them are either dead or very famous artists that it's obvious it is theirs.
Most owners do not want their names being made public. Many are listed as the original owner for historical purpose and current owner not identified. I don't think Butch falls into the category as either a very famous artist or original owner.

MikeEdgerton
Sep-20-2010, 5:17pm
I'll give you a clue, the finger board has been modified. That should narrow down the available options in the Archives.

That and knowing the year and the model and it is pretty easy to determine.

John Kinn
Sep-20-2010, 5:42pm
Yes, I,ve found it now, thank you. And I'm sorry if I've made the impression of probing. That was in no way intended. I was just trying to find some facts about a great instrument, in addition to what I learned from an earlier thread submittet a year and a half ago.
Thanks!
John

Darryl Wolfe
Sep-22-2010, 2:15pm
There was no intent to hide the identity on this one. I'm not sure Thile's or McCoury's are denoted either. It just happens that way. Most performing artists do not care about publishing the number and linking it to them. Private owners are a different story. It might pay to go back through and denote a few that are "safe"

f5loar
Sep-22-2010, 9:02pm
There shouldn't be a problem with naming those "desceased" owners names especially when they were so famous. Many are named like the Earl Taylor, Dave Apollon, Monroe, Griffith, Place, etc. Butch should be listed on his since he really like that one.
And when I'm dead and gone feel free to place my name by mine.