PDA

View Full Version : Old Time Cumberland Gap

Chuck Naill
Sep-19-2010, 6:44am
This is a version I got from old time fiddler, Clyde Davenport.
http://www.box.net/shared/94la8ui508

Denman John
Sep-19-2010, 11:57am
Wow, great tune and even better playing!

Do you by any chance have the tab for this?

Thanks for sharing
John

Chuck Naill
Sep-19-2010, 2:48pm
John,

I am sorry that I am not able to provide tabulator for this tune.

chuck

Brent Hutto
Sep-22-2010, 6:25am
I love this one, Chuck. The tune is quite simple but what makes it is the dum-diddy-dum-dum lilt and the sprightly tempo. It almost has a banjo-like feel with a mandolin tone.

And here I thought you just played nice waltzes on the fiddle... :)

wildpikr
Sep-22-2010, 7:00am
That's a catchy tune...good stuff, Chuck!

Chuck Naill
Sep-22-2010, 3:39pm
You'uns are way to generous. LOL!!! Seriously, thank you for listening and sharing your thoughts. I am just glad Garageband is working most of the time.

Bernie Daniel
Sep-23-2010, 9:41am
Chuck as usual your work is great I'm working on learning it the way you presented it.

But what CD or project specifically did you pick this off from?

I think it is a great version of CG but it seems you are playing AA BB CC the first time through but then you never play the A-part again but do three repeats of BB CC (where the "C" part contains the most familiar melody associate with the tune? I expect if you sang the words you would do it on this third part.

Its an interesting pattern that's all -- just saying.

Chuck Naill
Sep-23-2010, 7:22pm
Chuck as usual your work is great I'm working on learning it the way you presented it.

But what CD or project specifically did you pick this off from?

I think it is a great version of CG but it seems you are playing AA BB CC the first time through but then you never play the A-part again but do three repeats of BB CC (where the "C" part contains the most familiar melody associate with the tune? I expect if you sang the words you would do it on this third part.

Its an interesting pattern that's all -- just saying.

I am just playing a version that I remember from a Clyde Davenport recording. This version is suppose to be AABB, so I am sorry it does not appear so. Here is a three part version I learned from a banjo player.http://www.box.net/shared/exs0bzpzmc

Bernie Daniel
Sep-23-2010, 7:41pm
Well that's a fine version too. In fact, I might like it equally well. Its really lively. Cumberland Gap is another of those songs like Grey Eagle with many only slightly related versions I guess. Nice clean mandolin work the strings really ring out. Thanks.

Kate D.
Sep-23-2010, 8:06pm
I like your three part version, Chuck. Thanks for sharing it. I think I can learn it from looping it into my practice.
Kate

Kate D.
Sep-23-2010, 8:08pm
My Cumberland Gap must be either a different Gap or a different Cumberland, because it doesn't sound anything like this. Those rascally old fiddle tunes, they just confound you that way.

Tom Haywood
Sep-24-2010, 6:40am
Thanks Chuck for this one. I started playing it about two months ago when a banjo player tried to remember it at a jam. I hadn't heard it in close to 35 years, and haven't been able to find a good recorded version anywhere. Your version sounded different until I played the chords with it, then it was right on the money. Yes, those rascally old fiddle tunes - how often do you play the Bm chord in it?