PDA

View Full Version : My IV Oval-Hole kit in action.

Matt DeBlass
Sep-16-2010, 8:44pm
Here's a couple videos of the International Violin kit I built up a few months ago. I used the uncut top kit to make an oval-hole with x-bracing.
I'm neither a great player nor a great builder (yet :grin:), but for less than $200 I think it came out pretty well, it's got good volume, and, while it'll never be mistaken for a $4,000 instrument, I like it better than any $200 mando I was going to find!
I think if anyone wants to try their hand at building a kit, it's hard to go wrong with the IV models. Fantastic quality for the price and just enough of the work done so if you're fairly handy you can make a decent axe for yourself.
It's set up with Gibson Sam Bush strings and I'm using a Golden Gate pick this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HiCRIrxkdI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wErnzSAXcQo

bmac
Sep-20-2010, 6:23pm
I too did a International violin kit oval hole and was more than pleased with the tone and volume from such an inexpensive kit. Certainly ends up being equal to or better than some non-kit mandos costing in the $600 range. It all depends on how much time and care you want to put into your do-it-yourself kit. I am now working on my third IV kit mando, an f hole. i want to see if I can get more tone out of this one than my first build, an f hole which looks fine but doesn't quite have the volume that I think it should have. I probably didn't graduate the plates carefully enough... we'll see.

whyner
Sep-20-2010, 8:17pm
bmac:

Ordered an f hole kit too. How are going to brace yours? Tone bars, x-brace, what do ya know or think?

Steve
Oregon

Mandobart
Sep-20-2010, 8:41pm
Nice job,Matt! Sounds good!

bmac
Sep-26-2010, 7:51am
Steve said:
"Ordered an f hole kit too. How are going to brace yours? Tone bars, x-brace, what do ya know or think?"

Steve: I am just getting starting my next f hole kit. and since my first used standard tone bars as mentioned in the Seminoff book I might just do something different this time... Maybe X bracing. On the oval hole I used the most basic of transverse brace just below the oval hole as in Gibson ovals.. I wonder if that system would work on an f hole... Don't know what I'll do just yet but it might be fun to try something a little different. I am enjoying my unscientific experimentation... On my oval hole I used a clear finish and I think I might use it on this f hole as well. The advantage of clear is that I can remove the back after construction if I want to change the tone bars or make any interior adjustments without having to worry about matching a custom color on the mando. And by the way; in my opinion clear looks quite nice, even with a small blemish in the wood on mine.

I would also suggest you look into getting some better veneer than comes on the kit. It is so thin it is almost impossible to work on the peghead with without damaging the veneer. There are some really unusual and beautiful veneers available on ebay at reasonable cost.

I don't feel qualified to offer any real advice on tone bar choices. I would however suggest you pay particular attention to graduation of the top and back as I think that is where the tone can be enhanced from OK to exceptional.

I think you'll enjoy the build.

Bart

Ed Goist
Sep-26-2010, 5:58pm
Really nice Matt! Impressive.