PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Conversion

Blind_Cowboy
Feb-13-2004, 4:48pm
Hello... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

I'm one of those guitar player's that has decided to branch out. I've been primarily a rhythm player, and have always been interested in the mandolin. So, I bought one and wondered if ya'll would mind taking a look at it:

Ebay Mandolin (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3702148728&category=10179&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1)

Any information ya'll may have on this would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what is a good set of strings for mandolin? I've lived with D'Addario's Phosphor Bronze on my acoustics for years. Didn't know if there was a recommendation I could start with.

And any "hey, try this for a first go" kind of info. would be welcome information..

Thanks Again,

Blind Cowboy...

mandofiddle
Feb-13-2004, 4:53pm
Can't beat that for $35. You may very well need to take it to a luthier to get it set up properly, as I'm sure thats the last thing on the sellers mind...

John Flynn
Feb-13-2004, 5:39pm
I agree with the set up recommendation. There is info on that on frets.com, but it is better to get a good mando luthier to do it, even if it costs more than the instrument did. But if it doesn't have any defects and is set up right, it will be fine to learn on. I learned on one very similar to that after having played guitar for 20 years.

I am also a big D'Addario Phosphor Bronze fan for both guitar and mando. Probably the most popular set is the J74s. If you think your mando sounds too tinny or brassy with them, though, you might want to go with nickel/steel wound instead of bronze and look for a different brand. I don't havea favorite nickel steel brand, but I have tried the D'Addario J67s and didn't care for them. Just my two cents.

Staramouche
Feb-13-2004, 5:57pm
I picked up my Johnson MA-100on E-Bay last October and I have to have someone knock it from my grip to sleep at night! I LOVE it, and it does hold a tune purty well---at least to my untrained ear---the only prob I had was the pick guard rattling, but taking it off solved that prob! When I'm ready to trade up I may figure out the difference but for now....Happy Trails

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Joe

doanepoole
Feb-13-2004, 8:38pm
Welcome aboard....mandolins are like a box of chocolates, you never know.

But considering 3 trips to the gas station cost easily more than $35 bucks, and that mandolin could give you great joy for the rest of your days (well, until MAS, but you don't need to know about that yet), I'd say it was a good buy! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

By the way, Gibson Sam Bush's seem to be the consensus nickel-string-favorite amongst the community. I like them.

I'd echo Johnny above and say start out with some D'Addario J-74s...maybe buy a pack of Gibson Sam Bush's too, and see what you like better. JustStrings is a great resource for mandolin strings as they carry a wide variety at reasonable prices.

WHITEBIRD
Feb-14-2004, 11:16am
I purchased my second mandolin from Bestler, an inexpensive electric, and I love it. I was told to change the strings because the ones on it are for demonstration only. I too put some J74's on and it came to life. Their shipping was pretty fast too. What a looker. I was very impressed when I opened it for what I paid.

-Tom

archjjg
Feb-14-2004, 11:11pm
hey, I bought one of these mandos about 5 months ago and love it!! I figured for this price I couldn't beat it. it looks good and sounds great. its a good one to learn on and who knows, maybe someday I'll upgrade.

Blind_Cowboy
Feb-16-2004, 1:24am
Thanks!

I really appreciate all of the advice, and the good critiques on the mando purchase. I figured for 55 bucks w/ shipping, I can't beat that deal on a starter.

Thanks again,

Blind Cowboy...