PDA

View Full Version : new to the mandolin

music123
Sep-15-2010, 11:44am
My husband would like a mandolin for his birthday, but I have no idea what kind to get him. He also plays the guitar so he isn't a beginning musician. I would like to get a decent one but not over the top. Any suggestions?

Randi Gormley
Sep-15-2010, 2:23pm
The usual question about what to get is countered by 'what kind of music does he like to play' and 'what are you thinking of spending?'

I'm not a great believer in mind-reading (married 27 years does that to you), so i'd ask him what he had in mind. If this is going to be a surprise, you may have to do some research, though. Has he been reading this forum? has he talked about brand names or artists whose instruments he admires? has he dragged you to music stores and played instruments in front of you? Has he been looking at craigs list, ebay or the Cafe classifieds? you can probably see what he's been looking at if you use the same computer. Has he subscribed to a magazine and circled instruments he likes? Does his CD collection (or whatever) lean heavily on mandolin music so there's a particular sound he likes? Did he see a musician who blew him away on the mandolin? you get the drift ... if it's a straight-up request -- "Honey, I'd love to have a mandolin for my 21st birthday" -- then I'd go ask him what he'd like, or say you'll take him shopping, let him pick something out, and then pay for it as the gift. just my 2 cents worth.