PDA

View Full Version : History of Bluegrass in Baltimore

yoshka
Sep-14-2010, 2:19am
Here (http://www.meetup.com/Baltimore-Bluegrass/pages/Baltimore_Bluegrass_Paper_by_Blaze_Pappas_%28page_ 1%29) is a link to a research paper entitled:

Baltimore Bluegrass, The First Twenty Years: From the Hills to New Grass, 1955-1975

that is on the Baltimore Bluegrass Group's site. I thought that the members might find it interesting.

Enjoy! :)

Yossi

Matteo
Sep-14-2010, 12:57pm
I did a quick CTRL+F search and noticed the paper mentions such names as Buzz Busby, Earl Taylor, Walter Hensley...It's gonna be a great read!
Thanks very much for sharing this find with us.
Matt.

Willie Poole
Sep-15-2010, 12:26pm
I grew up in this area and the article just isn`t as true as it would like you to believe....I guess they can`t say a lot of things in the paper for fear of a law suit, mainly reasons why pickers changed bands so often and left this area and then returned after short periods of time to get themselves "TOGETHER" so to speak...Also I have been around pickers that were with the Country Gentlemen since they first started and I can`t recall Walter Hensley playing banjo with them for a year or so, that don`t mean he didn`t but I do question the info that was given to the writer of that story....I`ll google Walter and see what it says.....Willie

Matteo
Sep-15-2010, 12:51pm
Also I have been around pickers that were with the Country Gentlemen since they first started and I can`t recall Walter Hensley playing banjo with them for a year or so, that don`t mean he didn`t but I do question the info that was given to the writer of that story....I`ll google Walter and see what it says..
Actually, Walter Hensley did play for a short while with the Country Gentlemen in 1961. I have a recording of a live show from December of that year that has Walt on it.
Matt.

Willie Poole
Sep-15-2010, 6:21pm
Matt...I did some research of the Gents and you are correct, Walt played one month in `61 (Sept), Adcock was listed as their banjo player for that time period so I guess Walt filled in for Eddie when he might have been ill or something like that....Amazing what info is on the interent isn`t it?.....Willie