PDA

View Full Version : 9-String Ozark Mandocello and friends

Tristram
Sep-13-2010, 11:50am
Been playing guitar and bass for about twenty years now, but have finally made a journey in the mandolin and recently the mandocello! Awesome instruments, surprised I didn't get involved with them sooner.

They were all made in Korea, which is where I'm currently living.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=62507&d=1284396468

My first purchase, about a month ago, was a 'Popman' mandolin - good luck finding any mention of that make online! Please post a link if you do. It's the black a-style in the picture. It did not feel comfortable at all with regular mandolin tuning, so it remains tuned to E-A-D-G. With no dead frets and such a soft fingerboard, feel really happy with it. It seems to be from the budget end, it's so light.

Because the popman wasn't happy tuned so high, I decided to get another tuned to regular, and maybe get something a little more fancy.

Instead I found a semi-acoustic mandocello! Serendipidous really, as only a couple of days before I'd really wanted to try one. The only one in all of the stores it seemed (there's a guitar mecha in seoul which some of you may have heard of - awesome place, and not at all filled with #### as might be some, including my own initial, expectations). So I was buzzed, and at around the equivalent of a little under $400, thought it was well worth it.

That this mandocello had 9 strings struck me as odd in the store. But didn't think much of it as I wasn't that familiar with the mando family or it's cohorts. The instrument sounded so beautiful, and had a pickup which said "Little Giant Mandolin Co", encouraging me to belive that whoever made it new what they were doing.

Having such rotten luck finding any mention of a Popman mandolin, was totally psyched to see that the make Ozark, had a website and actually seemed to be a fairly well known manufacturer. And I was even more psyched to actually find the mandocello - but under their bazouki page, and identifying it as the 2244E.

http://www.ozark-acoustic.com/folk/bouzoukis.html

A closer inspection however revealed only 8 strings. And all subsequent searches menion 10 string occasionally, but not 9. So guessing this thing is custom made. There are some extra notches in the bridge, so thinking someone added the string, seemlessly, I might add! It's an awesome job.

Right now I've got the mandocello (irish bazouki!?!) tuned to mandolin, with the extra 9th tuned to low G so theres the possibility of deep resonance to compliment higher playing. Any lower and it just flops and rattles about. Sounds incredible, a little difficult to finger, have to use three fingers to play a 'd', but so used to the guitar it's not really an issue. Such an amazing instrument, never been so satisfied with a new toy as I am with this. As my band is multi-instrumental, bringing in the mandocello with the mandolins works so well. I am overwhelmingly excited to be playing with these gorgeous instruments.

If anyone has any insights or knowledge about a limited release of 9-string mandocellos/bazoukis from Orzak, would love to know a little bit more about this. And what note the low string is meant to be tuned to? Doesn't sound that great (doesn't really sound at all) below D. But have yet to try a thicker gauge string. The string is thicker than the next two up that I guess are meant to be 'C' strings but which are currently tuned, very happily, to G.

The third in the picture I bought the same day. Was originally going for an MK f-style, but as I'd stumbled across an f-style mandocello, thought I pick up another budget, and went for the red Rally A style electric.

The necks super thin in comparison to Popman and the f-style Deans my friends bought the same day (all from the same store - so we got an immense discount off everything).

But it's a super adequet little instrument, resonant and recommended for a starter like me. It's a little tinny when plugged in, but sounds good with the treble ultra-low. Playing through an acoustic amp may solve that issue, an investment for the future. And the mandocello has taken over my life anyway :)

A super sexy Orzak 9-string Mandocello/Bazouki with an awesome pick-up and very sweet tones. It's overwehelmingly cool.

Jim Garber
Sep-13-2010, 1:46pm
9 strings? Hah! It looks like the lowest string is a single one? The only instrument that I know would use such a configuration would be a German Waldzither. Then again, it could be custom. Was the lowest string pretty heavy? I wonder what gauge. Could be a way of extending the mandocello even lower or maybe tuning to octave tuning with a lower string.

delsbrother
Sep-13-2010, 4:31pm
Well, we had the Mondo Mando (http://bp0.blogger.com/_vvbvqpwVBz8/SD-nMFc_67I/AAAAAAAAASk/BfKwTbXaWDE/s1600-h/mondo1.jpg), maybe someone wanted a Mello Cello.

Martin Jonas
Sep-13-2010, 5:09pm
Hmmm. I don't think your instrument is the 2244E -- that's an F-style bouzouki, scale length 644mm, and really quite an odd looking instrument. So is yours, of course, but yours doesn't have that very long neck in comparison to the body. What's the scale length on yours? Are you sure it's a mandocello? A mandocello should be roughly guitar-sized, and yours looks a lot smaller than that -- in the photo it looks more like a mandola or an octave mandolin. What tuning are you using? The mandocello is CGDA, but the G is one full octave below the mandolin G.

As Jim has said, the only nine-string instrument with a 1-2-2-2-2 configuration I know is the German waldzither, and those would have roughly the size of yours. However, the concept of somebody building an F-style waldzither and selling it in Korea is too bizarre for words. You have mentioned F-style Deans, and there have been previous discussions of a Dean F-style nine-stringer here, but with a 2-2-2-1-1-1 configuration! That was a mandola-sized instrument and I think we decided it was intended for some type of mongrel guitar-derived tuning. I suspect yours was built for that purpose and has been converted, which would explain the extra notches.

By the way, Ozark is not a manufacturer: it's the house brand of Stentor Music, a major wholesaler in the UK. They're made in the same Korean and Chinese instruments as many other brands, but to some extent conform to specifications set down by Stentor.

But all of that doesn't matter -- what matters is that you enjoy the instruments and your happy conversion to the wild and wonderful mandolin family!

Martin

delsbrother
Sep-13-2010, 6:08pm
Hmm. I'm going to guess this really is an unbranded Mondo Mando. Especially since you said the store was also full of other Deans.

Martin Jonas
Sep-14-2010, 4:24am
Sorry, Delsbrother -- hadn't noticed that you had already linked the Dean Mondo Mando. Yes, I think it's one of those, rejigged for waldzither configuration. Most likely, the Dean is made in the same factory as some of the Ozark lines and somebody (for whatever reason) switched headstock inlays -- possibly originally one of the workers' private instruments, or a prototype made to see whether Stentor are interested in buying them for the Ozark line in the UK.

Martin

PseudoCelt
Sep-14-2010, 6:08am
I've seen and played one of those 9-string F-styles, also badged as an Ozark. The one I saw was set up as an octave mandolin, but with a third string in the G course, tuned an octave higher than the others (gGG DD AA EE). I found it difficult to cleanly fret the three G strings, but apart from that it was comfortable to play and sounded pretty good.

It did have a very wide fretboard, perhaps suggesting that it was intended to have more than four courses, like the Mondo Mando.

Patrick

Tristram
Sep-14-2010, 6:19am
ignore this, uploaded wrong pics, next!

Tristram
Sep-14-2010, 6:22am
Wow, such a wealth of responses! Thanks, guys.

Jim, the lowest single string is slighter thicker than the proceeding two - as comparison the difference between A and E guitar strings. Hadn't heard of a german waltzither, will have to look into that!

Delsbrother - that Mondo Mando picture has a pretty much identical body! Can't tell the size, though.

Which brings me to your point, Martin. That neck on the 2244E is far too long, hadn't noticed that. The scale length is 20 useable frets. And after I posted went on another hunt for insight into this mysterious instrument, and thought that maybe it was a mandola, haven't really seen one, but guessing they're slightly bigger than a mandolin? On closer inspection of clips on youtube etc it doesn't seem big enough to be a mandocello.

Here's a pic of it next to my friends deans. Makes a pretty sight :)

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=62565&d=1284463270
So no, I am no longer sure it is a mandocello. It's currently tuned very comfortably to (G)-G-D-E-A. As mentioned, that bottom string doesn't do much good lower than that. Because it sounds so good, and the strings feel like they're at just the right tension, a 9-string octave mandolin would make a lot of sense. Is an octvae mandolin as it sounds, just an octave below the mandolin with tuning G-D-A-E?

Here's a bigger pic for more scrutiny:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=62563&d=1284462958

Within the shadow of the f-style curl on the body seems evidence of a replacement bridge on closer inspection. So yes it appears it's some kind of FrankenMando.

Which leads me to the question what shall I credit this wonder as on liner notes for it's first recording!? A FrankenMando sounds good to me :)

Thanks for your valuable insight everyone!

Tristram
Sep-14-2010, 6:29am
Likewise cleanly fretting the three strings is a bit of a challenge, but it sounds great once you get it down.

Was the one you played for sale? If so would be interested to know the price tag, if you can remember.

PseudoCelt
Sep-14-2010, 6:40am
The one I played wasn't for sale. Someone brought it to a pub session a couple of times here in Aberdeen. I don't know where he found it and I've never seen another one for sale in any of the local shops.

Bill Snyder
Sep-14-2010, 10:35am
...That neck on the 2244E is far too long, hadn't noticed that. The scale length is 20 useable frets. ...

Scale length has NOTHING to do with the number of useable frets. A guitar with a 24 3/4" scale length and a mandolin with a 13 7/8" scale length may both have 20 or 22 or 24 (or more or less) useable frets.
The scale length is the length of the vibrating open string. The length from the nut to the bridge.

Tristram
Sep-15-2010, 4:03am
Scale length has NOTHING to do with the number of useable frets. A guitar with a 24 3/4" scale length and a mandolin with a 13 7/8" scale length may both have 20 or 22 or 24 (or more or less) useable frets.
The scale length is the length of the vibrating open string. The length from the nut to the bridge.

Oh, right. Then can't give an accurate answer to that just yet.

Tristram
May-04-2011, 5:21am
Turns out it's an octave, but currently playing it with a low C in the 9th string position, sounds great but needs a thicker string, can't really fret it.

Thanks for your help identifying it, been busy learning to play the thing - posted some vids on the CBOM forum here:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?50038-Post-a-video-of-you-playing-your-CBOM!&p=923390#post923390

It's quite an animal!

stevenmando
May-15-2011, 9:55am
Great family photo i love it when a family grows eventully i want to get a mandochello but untill then having a bowlback and a flatback will do