PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Fingers

Kevin K
Feb-13-2004, 3:46pm
Has anybody a solution for sticky finger tips on your fretting hand? I wipe the strings down before and after playing, but even on a new set, the finger tips don't slide very well. I've tried coated strings, even the new Nanowebs which solve the problem (and are a very good string) but lack the tone and volume of good ole J75 set. A compromise I guess, but I like to have my cake and eat it too.

mandofiddle
Feb-13-2004, 3:59pm
There's a product called "Fast Fret". #

http://www.tigermusic.co.uk/index2/DEF/Items/GY-F-FFS.htm

I don't personally use it, but have tried it out once. Seemed like it'd do the trick for ya.

I used to have the same problem you're mentioning, but also had the "sticky neck" problem too. #I took down all the finish on the neck and it solved both problems. #I don't however know if the two were related... #I wonder also if my left-hand technique has just gotten better as far as the amount of pressure I use to press the strings down.

peterbc
Feb-13-2004, 4:11pm
My roomate was telling me that the great bass player Jaco used to rub his hands in a bucket of fried chicken because he thought it would help his hands slide on the neck.

John S
Feb-13-2004, 4:37pm
Kevin, I have the same problem. I've never had a problem with the back of the neck, just sticky fingertips. Even when I use stuff like Fast Fret, after a few minutes of playing I would still feel the friction between my finger tips and the strings come right back. The only thing that has helped, and it does seem to help, is to give the fingertips a good scrubbing before I play in order to remove grime and skin oils. For good measure you can also give them a quick wipe with alcohol and you're ready to go. Also remember to keep your strings clean by wiping them down after playing. I don't use Fast Fret much anymore now, I just try to keep it clean http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

mandoluthier1
Feb-13-2004, 7:51pm
Kevin,
Wipe your left fingertips on either side of the bridge of your nose.
John

elenbrandt
Feb-13-2004, 9:01pm
Do your mama's dishes for her before playing -- you will get to heaven faster (and/or stay in the will)and maybe some of your natural finger slime will dissipate in the exercise -- it's a thought. #If nothing else, your mama will be happy....

p.s. for all you Jaco Pastorious fans -- he used to tell his mother that he couldn't do dishes because it might ruin his callouses (only a guy would think of such a line -- and, dammit, it didn't work when I tried it on my mother...)

JiminRussia
Feb-13-2004, 9:49pm
Try out a set of "D'Adario Flat Tops". I just got a set and can't verify the longevity of them, but they sound really good and are pretty slick on the fingers. Slides are much easier and he vertical chord chages seem to be a little bit easier. For under $10.00 they are at least worth a try.

Brian Ray
Feb-13-2004, 9:56pm
I'm on the other side of most... I wash my hands before I play. It works for me.

GaryM
Feb-13-2004, 9:58pm
p.s. for all you Jaco Pastorious fans -- he used to tell his mother that he couldn't do dishes because it might ruin his callouses (only a guy would think of such a line -- and, dammit, it didn't work when I tried it on my mother...)
It worked for me!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Michael Lewis
Feb-14-2004, 2:03am
I don't know if it will work for moist finger tips, but when my calluses start to shred I put a drop of super glue on and quickly spread it around and let it dry before touching anything. Instant callus. Do this for each finger tip and it will really cut down on the friction. It's a real help as long as your finger tips aren't sore, it doesn't help that. It can be removed with super glue remover, acetone, fingernail polish remover, or water (but it takes a lot of soaking and peeling). Otherwise see your doctor concerning your hyperhydrosis.

mrbook
Feb-15-2004, 1:33pm
Our fiddle player brings a can of baby powder with him, and I've tred it when my hands feel sticky or sweaty. It seems to make things better, and he swears by it, even when we kid him about it.

MWM
Feb-15-2004, 2:09pm
You might consider cleaning your fretboard if it hasn't been done in a long time. Grime accumulates, sweaty hands pick it up and deposit it on your strings. You can clean it anytime with a rag dampened in mineral spirits. Mineral or lemon oil is usually recommended but I wouldn't use it more than once a year. Strings off to do it.

Regarding FastFret, use it after your sessions. Wipe all of it off with a rag and the grime will go with it. Get under the strings with the rag too. Get everything clean and keep it clean. Good luck and let us know what works.

GTison
Feb-16-2004, 11:16am
Wash hands before playing... use fast fret on strings.... use powder on left hand... change strings more often... these are my cure for the same problem

J. Mark Lane
Feb-16-2004, 12:16pm
This thread it disgusting. Fried chicken? Rub your nose? Dirty dishes? Ick.

Seriously, I keep a container of alcohol wipes in my music room, and I wipe my fingers down before playing. It's hard to find good alcohol wipes (the medical profession seems to have no problem, but I have a hard time locating them). I end up with little ones that are sold for diabetics for giving shots. When I can't find those, I use alo wipes, which are also fine but don't dry as quickly.

Fried chicken? Sheesh. That stuff's fattening.

Mark

Bobby Brite
Feb-16-2004, 1:55pm
#It's a real help as long as your finger tips aren't sore, .....
Hey Michael, for sore fingertips soak them in vinegar for about 10 to 20 minutes. As for the sticky fingers I'm taking notes from all of you.

Kevin K
Feb-18-2004, 11:53am
Would also wiping down the strings with the alcohol pads help string life as well?