PDA

View Full Version : blueberry tenor guitar

Charles E.
Sep-11-2010, 10:15pm
I have tried to resist posting this but can no longer do so.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLUEBERRY-HANDMADE-TENOR-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-1-FIERRO-/120619830307?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c15808c23

This is over the top. :disbelief: :grin:

Jim Garber
Sep-11-2010, 11:32pm
Yeah, I have seen plenty pictures of these and don;t see the appeal but I suppose some folks like them.

From their web site:

Blueberry guitars is the inspiration of Montreal businessman and musician Danny Fonfeder who conceived the idea to marry outstanding craftsmanship to extraordinary art. American luthier and educator, George Morris, and Balinese woodcarver, Wayan Tuges, bring together two great craft traditions, combining the best of Western technology and expertise, with the best woodcarvers in the world.

Each guitar is handmade and unique in detail and materials. Each is a work of art worthy of the finest musicians. A special group of craftsmen add their exceptional skills to every guitar before it is tested and judged ready to be called a Blueberry Instrument. Blueberry Guitars embody a marriage of East and West. They celebrate the joining of mind and spirit, functionality and artful reverence. Each instrument will be a great musical inspiration and serve as a constant reminder of what artists can achieve. No two are alike. All meet the exacting standards demanded by great musicianship and art connoisseurs.

SincereCorgi
Sep-12-2010, 1:13pm
I am happy to see this- Blueberries are cool guitars and I think they have a very interesting business model (I believe they sell almost entirely through eBay and have all the woodwork done in exotic Bali). I've never had to chance to play one, unfortunately.

Bernie Daniel
Sep-12-2010, 10:15pm
I am happy to see this- Blueberries are cool guitars and I think they have a very interesting business model (I believe they sell almost entirely through eBay and have all the woodwork done in exotic Bali). I've never had to chance to play one, unfortunately.

Yeah I like the idea -- if they would make them with western art symbols (eagles, wolves, arrow heads etc) instead of eastern (dragons and water lilies etc.) I would find them a lot more attractive. Not saying I would buy one though.

Bill Snyder
Sep-13-2010, 9:43am
Listen to the sound clip. Almost sounds like a sitar.

Jim Garber
Sep-13-2010, 9:54am
Sorry, I am not enamored of the aesthetic. Too much glitz -- I prefer my instruments plainer. Even this one (http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/000854.html) makes me want to gag. YMMV.

MikeEdgerton
Sep-13-2010, 10:23am
Looks like Antonio Tsai revisited. Same business model, different exotic locals.

CES
Sep-13-2010, 10:40am
I'm with Jim on this one...I've got an awesome looking blueburst Fender FM-62 A/E mandolin that I got primarily because it looked so flippin' cool (and because I needed an inexpensive A/E), but all of my instruments otherwise are understated in the appointments/finish department...

I'm not knocking those of you who like this sort of thing (my son thinks most of my instruments are "boring looking," the blueburst excepting, of course) and admit the concept is cool, but it's just too much bling for me...:))
:mandosmiley:

Jim Garber
Sep-13-2010, 10:51am
I also am not too fond of instruments named after fruit or other foodstuffs, with maybe the exception of pineapple tailpieces and ukes. Of course, I am feeling quite curmudgeonly today for some reason.

doc holiday
Sep-13-2010, 1:11pm
Where the tenor might have gone if Liberace had chosen strings instead of the piano?

Bernie Daniel
Sep-13-2010, 2:10pm
Sorry, I am not enamored of the aesthetic. Too much glitz -- I prefer my instruments plainer. Even this one (http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/000854.html) makes me want to gag. YMMV.

Can you imagine how many hours of labor have gone in to "look good" instead of "sound good" on that thing? Cart before the horse --or something like that.

ilovemyF9
Sep-13-2010, 2:35pm
Removed by owner

SincereCorgi
Sep-13-2010, 10:40pm
This isn't really fair you guys- that godawful thing Jim posted is a Martin, not a Blueberry. They actually get positive reviews as 'players' rather than just eye-candy. I don't know why I feel compelled to stick up for them... like I say, I never played one and they do look at bit 'tiki bar'. Still, this is more representative of their actual look:

http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/ff/06/5c6a_12.JPG

I think it's more about woodcarving than inlay.

Jim Garber
Sep-13-2010, 10:52pm
Sorry I wasn't clear on that Martin. That is the 1 millionth made and I always thought it was ridiculous esp from a company that, for the most part, has had a long history of good taste.

I feel a little bad dumping on Blueberry, too.It still is not my taste but may be someone else's, so don't listen to me. Go buy them, if they appeal.

JeffD
Sep-14-2010, 12:23pm
I would love some luthiers to comment on this: "The top is Alaskan Spruce top with hundreds of hand carved grooves on the surface that greatly enhance the volume, resonance, projection and sustain."

I have not seen grooved top instruments. I would have thought if it had some acoustic advantage a lot of folks would have been doing this for ages. If it is benign acoustically and is purely aesthetic, well then its the eye of the beholder.

Lots of talented craftspeople in Bali and Indonesia.

Bernie Daniel
Sep-15-2010, 7:24am
I would love some luthiers to comment on this: "The top is Alaskan Spruce top with hundreds of hand carved grooves on the surface that greatly enhance the volume, resonance, projection and sustain."

I have not seen grooved top instruments. I would have thought if it had some acoustic advantage a lot of folks would have been doing this for ages. If it is benign acoustically and is purely aesthetic, well then its the eye of the beholder.

Lots of talented craftspeople in Bali and Indonesia.

Maybe the expense is so great that even if it improves the tone/volume it is not worth it on a volume scale? Just speculating.
Also I wonder if a surface like that would not be a real mess after a while? Its not like you could easily rub some polish and a cloth over it?

bmac
Sep-15-2010, 8:43am
I have heard of mandolins with points, silly shaped headstock and a rediculously expensive carved strap hanger stuck on. I guess these things contribute to the sound, but I can't figure out how.

Does anyone around here live in a glass house?

Bill Snyder
Sep-22-2010, 10:25pm
I know I am sort of repeating myself but did anybody else listen to the sound sample?
If so what do you think? Do the grooves and carved dragon enhance the tone?

SincereCorgi
Sep-23-2010, 1:28am
Yeah, we get it, it's not a great sound clip. Of course, whoever was playing on it probably didn't cotton to what tenor guitars are usually used for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt8C4xueXx0&feature=related

This one sounds pretty decent. Once again, I don't know why I am sticking up for guitars I have never even seen in person.

Mandolin Mick
Sep-23-2010, 2:49am
It looks like it belongs in a museum ... ;)

mrmando
Sep-23-2010, 10:32am
Maybe it doubles as a guiro!