PDA

View Full Version : Curtis McPeake's quote

Scotti Adams
Sep-10-2010, 7:13am
""I know the gentleman's name that started the name bluegrass music, and it wasn't Bill [Monroe]. ... I don't want to start a controversy," McPeak says. "It happened in the '60s, when it was branded bluegrass music."

Just wonderin what he meant by this....??

swampstomper
Sep-10-2010, 7:24am
Bill Monroe never branded his music as a style, at least until the "Bluegrass" (should be "Blue grass") festivals really got rolling. It was his band the Blue Grass Boys playing his brand of country music, just like Ernest Tubb was playing his brand or Kitty Wells singing her brand. I imagine Curtis is referring to Carlton Haney, who organized the first "Bluegrass music festival" in Fincastle VA in 1965. He tried to get all the former Blue Grass Boys who had gone their own way into derivative forms, and some newer bands who followed the style. So he recognized it as a distinctive style with the name we know.

Scotti Adams
Sep-10-2010, 7:33am
Thats entirely possible.

AlanN
Sep-10-2010, 8:27am
Either him, or the 'college kid writers' (to quote an early mandolin picker).

BradKlein
Sep-10-2010, 2:23pm
I don't know if anyone's posted the link to yesterday's Monroe story on NPR (where the quote came from). It's HERE (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129752861), if you want to give a listen. Looks like Big Mon's centennial year will be a good one. Major motion picture. Album. Tribute tour. Who knows what else.

PS It's funny, I don't think of the origins of the term BLUEGRASS as causing much of a fuss anymore. I was sort of touched by CM's sensitivity around the question. (I don't think Monroe himself ever claimed to have invented the term, used to describe a genre. Kudos to NPR for getting it right in their headline: Blue Grass Boys)

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-11-2010, 12:32am
The popularising of the term Blue Grass,as applied to Bill Monroe's (any any other BG band for that matter),according to Neil Rosenberg from his book 'Bluegrass a History',is when radio audiences wrote to the radio stations asking to hear more of that 'Blue Grass style music',thus creating the generic term for the music as a whole.
Re.the very first Bluegrass festival (but not as we know it Captain) is credited to Bill Clifton's one day festival in Oak Leaf Park at Luray, Virginia on July 4th,1961 (ref. 'Bluegrass Music a History' by Neil Rosenberg - page 177 'Big Day at Luray'). At the time Carlton Haney was still the manager of the Reno & Smiley band & hadn't yet organised any festivals,
Ivan