PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Earl gig

jim_n_virginia
Sep-02-2010, 11:49pm
Well I feel the storm rolling in! The wind is picking up and it started raining a few hours ago. My house is 3 stories and a 100 years old and I can feel it shake when the wind gusts! LOL!

Last time Hurricane Isabel came through I lost power for 9 days. Having a mandolin to play when there is no computer or TV is nice! I have a garbage bag next to my mandolin in case I gotta throw it in there and go outside. Not likely but just in case! LOL!

What is even funny is we have a gig tomorrow at a BG festival and we are supposed to play at 4pm and again at 10pm. Weather says it's going to be raining and 45 mph wind. This ought to be interesting! We've been calling the festival promoters and they are saying rain or shine the show must go on! LOL! :mandosmiley:

Good luck to all in this things path which is from NC all the way to NY!

Ron Hale
Sep-03-2010, 12:01am
Hang on to your hat, Jim! Good luck.

Ronnie

Greg H.
Sep-03-2010, 1:07am
I wouldn't worry about it too much. By 4:00 tomorrow Earl will be off in New England and it will be sunny (in VA & NC) according to the weather report I saw. (and I'm relying on it....as I'm planning to be on Ocracoke Island by tomorrow night as long as hwy 12 is in one piece and the ferrys are running again).

journeybear
Sep-03-2010, 1:16am
Gee whiz, Jim - three lol's in one post - a little nervous laughter, eh? :)

Try not to worry too much. This thing looks like it's keeping out to sea for the most part - except for glancing blows at Cape Hatteras and Cape Cod (maybe) - but look out, Nova Scotia!

Bertram Henze
Sep-03-2010, 1:59am
Can you Americans teach us Europeans your crazy weather-related humor? Because in view of developments here during the last few years we're going to need it...

P Josey
Sep-03-2010, 2:41am
We're in Earl's path also and not sure when or how hard it will hit. Last report had it coming up the Bay of Funday which means we'll get the high winds in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick will get the heavy rains. Not sure if Bill or Lester had a hurricane named after them. lol

journeybear
Sep-03-2010, 3:05am
Tell you what, BH. Go to http://www.wunderground.com and take a look at some of the different views of these things. Right now Earl is about the size of Ukraine. We’ll trade you a hurricane for a mistral. Heck, make that two mistrals. ;)

Charlieshafer
Sep-03-2010, 5:42am
So this makes it an average day in Nova Scotia?

mandoscotia
Sep-03-2010, 6:01am
Hey there

We are patiently waiting up here in Nova Scotia for Earl's visit. The trouble is we are suffering from the "once bitten, twice shy" syndrom. My entire preparation for Hurricane Juan was to take my outdoor furniture off my deck, then we had no power for 4 days. This time we will be ready, which usually means nothing will happen. Here's hoping!

Best of luck to all Maritimers, especially my friend down in Granville ferry. Get that Gibson to a safe place, man.

Nate

Elliot Luber
Sep-03-2010, 7:20am
Hurricane veering to East. North Carolina not getting the direct hit as expected. Long Island likely spared. We'll see about Cape Cod. www.noaa.org

Randi Gormley
Sep-03-2010, 8:14am
We need a new roof on the house, and I'm wondering whether I want Earl to help us out or not (insurance money vs our pockets) ... probably not. My instruments are downstairs, so unless (or if) we lose anything more than a shingle or two, they should be fine. Frankly, I hear we'll just get some wind (bye, bye, our one-and-only sunflower) and that the rain will be fairly minimal or miss us entirely. I just want the heat to go away.

JeffD
Sep-03-2010, 8:36am
Can you Americans teach us Europeans your crazy weather-related humor? ...

I didn't know we had any.

Here is part of a kids song I learned at a festival once:

Whether the weather be mild or whether the weather be not,
Whether the weather be cold or whether the weather be hot,
We'll weather the weather whatever the weather,
Whether we like it or not.

JeffD
Sep-03-2010, 8:39am
This time we will be ready, which usually means nothing will happen. Here's hoping!

Having been evacuated twice for hurricanes I can tell you first hand - being (what turns out to be) needlessly prepared is the far better alternative.

Bertram Henze
Sep-03-2010, 8:59am
Whether the weather be mild or whether the weather be not,
Whether the weather be cold or whether the weather be hot,
We'll weather the weather whatever the weather,
Whether we like it or not.

I like that, it helps a lot. Seems to be along the line of the German saying

glücklich ist
wer vergisst
was nicht mehr zu ändern ist

(happy is who forgets what he can't change - that's humor by definition)

JeffD
Sep-03-2010, 9:28am
A good mandolinny tune. I will try it out.

ezGHapF8-lY

Bertram Henze
Sep-03-2010, 10:03am
I am really disappointed - this man might have improved his act by playing a mandolin but apparently he had no cheap beater...

Z12pEG2aAeA

Ed Goist
Sep-03-2010, 10:50am
Jim and all other east coasters please report back...Here's hoping Earl passed/passes you without major incident.

CTH Man
Sep-03-2010, 11:05am
Lets hope that "Earl Breaks_down" :) before we get hit here on the south coast of Nova Scotia. I have the Flatty packed and ready to go if the water gets to high. Hey Paul...keep a good hold on #4...wouldn't want that one gettin blown away.

Kevin

Elliot Luber
Sep-03-2010, 11:07am
It's breaking down now. Barely a category 1 as the eye dissolved.

jaycat
Sep-03-2010, 11:25am
I've pulled all my boats out of the water. That leaves an empty bathtub except for the Ducky.

Hey, I thought Hurricane Earl was what you put on a rusty hurricane . . .

stratman62
Sep-03-2010, 11:37am
I've pulled all my boats out of the water. That leaves an empty bathtub except for the Ducky.

Tht's just funny

journeybear
Sep-03-2010, 12:08pm

Only in Brooklyn or Da Bronx, where goils burl water. :))

Elliot Luber
Sep-03-2010, 12:19pm
Use guys don't speak no good English.
:mandosmiley:

journeybear
Sep-03-2010, 12:26pm
Sez da guy from Lun Guyland! :grin:

But back to Hurricane Oil, this thing is enormous. The cloud cover right now stretches from the Carolinas to Maine and Pittsburgh PA to east of Prince Edward Island. Good thing it's only a Category 1 and is mostly over water. It could have been devastating.

Randi Gormley
Sep-03-2010, 3:36pm
Well, I just got back from wandering along the Hudson River taking pictures of silt (don't ask), and I can attest to the cloud cover. It was even spitting momentarily, but nothing that was sustained. It's still hot, but there is a (hot) breeze that's kicked up.

Bigtuna
Sep-03-2010, 3:49pm
Barely rained here in Wilmington yesterday. Surf was really big and fun, you could see the storm clouds off on the horizon. I couldn't get "Storms Out on the Ocean" out of my head. When I got home I was almost to tired to pick up the mandolin. But, I couldn't resist with the house to myself!

Charlieshafer
Sep-03-2010, 8:13pm
Well, it's over Connecticut now, with a big wet arm right overhead. Lots of rain, little wind.

JEStanek
Sep-03-2010, 8:21pm
No Rain in Philaburbia. Boy, we could use it (maybe not 5-10 inches at once...) A very dry summer for us.

Jamie

MiG-19
Sep-03-2010, 8:37pm
I''m in Okinawa and we are currently on the outer fringes of a typhoon, the Orient's version of hurricanes. It's windy and rainy, perfect day for staying indoors and playing. I must confess that this morning it's my Stelling Staghorn that's getting exercised.

P Josey
Sep-04-2010, 8:34am
We're getting hit pretty hard right now in Nova Scotia. The eye of the hurricane is about an hour away and the South Shore where I live is right on it's expected land fall path. We're going to be hit dead on in an hour or two. I'm wondering how that Flatiron in West Dublin is doing.

journeybear
Sep-04-2010, 9:08am
Even downgraded to tropical storm, these things can be no fun. It's moving pretty fast though, so the brunt of it shouldn't last long. Hang in there, and be glad you have a means of entertainment that doesn't need electricity. Play songs like The Judd's "Rocking To The Rhythm Of The Rain." You'll be fine. :mandosmiley:

Charlieshafer
Sep-04-2010, 10:03am
Good luck up in Nova Scotia. Hopefully it's no worse than what you see every now and then.

mandoscotia
Sep-04-2010, 3:41pm
Well, power is back on, after a couple of hours. Got pretty windy and "WOW", the rain. A few toppled trees in the general vacinity and lots of chewed up leaves from the wind. Otherwise we rode it out pretty well here in Dartmouth. The little MT:mandosmiley: sounded especially beautiful in the quiet house, as did my wife practicing her Irish tunes on the wooden flute.

Hope all fellow Maritimers did as well or better!

Cheers, all

Nate

CTH Man
Sep-04-2010, 9:33pm
All is well here in West Dublin N.S. ...Earl gave us a pretty good jolt...lots of trees down and a BIG surf on...but very little damage to speak of. Flatty is doing just fine Paul , getting ready for a show next weekend in Newfoundland.....Hey Nate , good to hear from you...I'm looking forward to filling in for you with GRASSWORKS at the awards show in October...hopefully I can learn the parts by then:)
take care all
Kevin

mandoscotia
Sep-05-2010, 8:07am
Hey Kev

Glad you guys made out OK down there. Grassworks is pretty excited to have you filling in! The parts are, in typical Nate fashion, really easy, so no worries there!

Have a great gig on the rock!

Nate

jim_n_virginia
Sep-05-2010, 10:17am
Oh man Hurricane Earl turned out to be just a drizzle! What a disappointing hurricane. I was hoping for more of a show! :))

Well we did our show and it turned out OK. They moved the show indoors into a huge building. Turn out was pretty bad though. I think the hurricane warnings scared a lot of people away. I felt bad for the promoters. I think they got a soaking at this event. They had 6 or 7 bands there and we got $500 for two 45 minutes sets and I think we were probably the least known and paid there because many of the other bands had tour busses and I know they got a lot more than that. Friday night there was probably 30 people in the audience and maybe double that for Sat.

This was a weekend BG festival with camping, venders and all that. I'm pretty sure they took a loss. This was the first festival for this spot and I hope it doesn't discourage them in the future. That's too bad because there are not enough local BG festivals as it is.

I heard on the news too that the Outer Banks NC small business took a beating on the tourism too as visitors were ordered out of the resort area. This was their last big holiday for the beach season. Lot's of small Mom and Pop businesses were affected by the mandatory evacuations. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry as we all learned about for Katrina.

Hope you guys up north get off easy like we did!

Randi Gormley
Sep-05-2010, 10:48am
Glad to see everybody affected has managed to recover. We didn't even get much wind. It skated right over us. The temperature didn't even drop until close to midnight, so we were hot (92 degrees F) when we had hoped to be comfortable. No rain. Not even much of a cloud cover past about 8 p.m. I see people north of us got the rain we needed ... ah, well, my husband and i played music in the evening just for entertainment and kept looking out the window, saying, 'where's earl?' -- you know, that sounds like the name of a song ....

P Josey
Sep-05-2010, 11:04am
Just got power back after about 24 hrs. Hit us pretty good and today is beautiful, sunny ,and fresh (aka not humid).

journeybear
Sep-05-2010, 1:35pm
I'll tell you - one of the worst things (as long as there's no major damage) to follow a hurricane here is the lack of electricity. Usually it is so wet and hot that all that water evaporates for days, making it uncomfortably humid, no relief via fans or A/C. One time, though, a cold front came through right after, and it was actually pleasant until power was restored. That was rare, and hence (obviously) memorable.