PDA

View Full Version : Kalamazoo mandola

Chuck Ficca
Sep-01-2010, 9:52pm
I am the proud owner of a Kalamazoo mandola, and see that George Gruhn states in his latest book of vintage instruments that only four were made. I remember seeing one for sale in the classified some time ago and am interested in knowing if any of these four are in the hands of Cafe readers. I am also wondering about possible value of these rare birds. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Chuck:grin:

F-2 Dave
Sep-01-2010, 10:04pm
We'd love to see some pictures.

Chuck Ficca
Sep-01-2010, 10:19pm
I'll be away for almost 2 weeks and won't be able to figure out how till I get back, but it is ana style with F holes and 70 years of crazed tobacco sunburst finish. Unfortunately a previous owner must have glued rhinestones or something on the headstock, because there is a lot of ugly glue on it. I hesitate to try and clean it up since it might obliterate the Kalamazoo decal there. Someone also put dots of pink nail polish on the side of the neck for position markers. There is slight top sinkage on the bass side, but it plays and sounds great.

brunello97
Sep-03-2010, 7:54am
Maybe these can fill in until Chuck gets back. A 1939, I believe. (That's not letting you off the hook, hombre.)

Mick