PDA

View Full Version : Mowry #62

gummia
Sep-01-2010, 8:18pm
Hi all.
I am so happy with my new Mowry F5 that I figured since I took a few photos of it the other day I might as well share them.

It is Mowry nr. 62 , dated 7/7/10.. I have had it for about six weeks and so far I love it. It is so beautiful and well built. Truly a work of art!
Also it sounds really good, good sustain and plays pretty well all the way up the neck.
I am so happy with it, and everyone that sees it and plays it are amazed.

:grin::grin::grin:

Bigtuna
Sep-01-2010, 8:23pm
Very nice, looks like a keeper!

Steve-o
Sep-01-2010, 9:35pm
Truly stunning, as all Mowrys are. Exceptionally nice burst, and I like how the flamed maple travels all the way up the back of the headstock. What style(s) of music do you play?

Ed Goist
Sep-01-2010, 9:56pm
Exceptional! Congratulations. Enjoy!

Chris Biorkman
Sep-01-2010, 10:20pm
Absolutely gorgeous. Love everything about it.

gummia
Sep-02-2010, 7:21am
Even though I felt that I was really specific with Andrew about how I wanted it, it still outdid my expectations. I was speachless when I opened the case the first time, and the pictures hardly do it justice.

Steve, at the moment I play mostly bluegrass, along with some celtic music.

Skip Kelley
Sep-02-2010, 7:50am
gummia, congratulations! That is one sweet looking F5 by Andrew!

lazydog
Sep-14-2010, 9:47pm
Sweet!!!

gummia
Sep-24-2013, 3:56pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONs9RxhqQ7s&feature=youtu.be

I did a quick video / sound clip with the Mowry #62.
Thought I might as well post it.
The sound overloads a bit on the chops... because they are so powerful on this instrument ;)
I did the recording on my webcam with the only mic I had laying around at the moment, Audio Technica ATM350. Strings are EXP74 and I'm using my Blue Chip CT55 pick. (Killer string/pick combo)

So this is just about how the Mowry F5's sound. Veeeery nice, complex, sweet but powerful. I love it!

stevem
Sep-24-2013, 4:03pm
Sounds fantastic. Great picking.

billhay4
Sep-24-2013, 5:27pm
Andrew is a fine builder and you make this one sound quite lovely.
BTW, what is that vestigial appendage next to your ring finger? :-)
Bill

Charles E.
Sep-24-2013, 6:29pm
Very nice! Is there a truss rod? I only ask because I don't see a cover on the headstock. Perhaps Andrew did something really tricky.

Larry S Sherman
Sep-24-2013, 6:59pm
Looks and sounds quite nice. Andrew is a class act!

Larry

mtucker
Sep-24-2013, 8:22pm
Very nice!

George R. Lane
Sep-24-2013, 10:18pm
Very nice! Is there a truss rod? I only ask because I don't see a cover on the headstock. Perhaps Andrew did something really tricky.

My guess he used a carbon fiber rod, thus no nee for a truss rod.

gummia
Sep-25-2013, 6:28am
Yes he put a carbon fiber stiffener in the neck instead of a truss rod. His theory is that a short neck like on a mandolin has no need for a truss rod. And the neck is just perfect and has not changed in three years, and I play a lot!

gummia
Sep-25-2013, 6:34am
BTW, what is that vestigial appendage next to your ring finger? :-)

Hehe,yes I know, I am working on my pinky. I use it quite a lot and I can often hold it down more relaxed but it tends to stick up in the air. :)

terzinator
Sep-25-2013, 11:17am
Really nice.

billhay4
Sep-25-2013, 11:47am
Hehe,yes I know, I am working on my pinky. I use it quite a lot and I can often hold it down more relaxed but it tends to stick up in the air.
I was really just kidding you, gummia. You're a fine player, much better than I am with all four fingers.
Nice instrument.
Bill

gummia
Sep-25-2013, 12:12pm
Yeah I figured.. :) Thanks Bill

amowry
Sep-26-2013, 12:57pm
Funny, my pinky looks just the same ;)

Beautiful playing, Gudmundur! Thanks for posting this.

red7flag
Sep-28-2013, 10:22am
Andrew, that is one seriously great looking and sounding instrument. Great playing also. That is the bomb. I love that GOM that Andrew lovingly made for me. Also great looking and sounding, but with a totally different vibe. This F5 has the grass feel seriously down.

Avi Ziv
Sep-28-2013, 10:44am
Beautiful instrument and beautiful playing!