PDA

View Full Version : Flatbush A4

etteM
Sep-01-2010, 6:33am
I finally got my Flatbush A4, built by Victor at flatbush stringed instruments, Denmark:grin:

Brent Hutto
Sep-01-2010, 6:38am
Now that's my kind of instrument. Beautiful dark wood finish, almost no flashy trim, I don't believe I see any dots on the fretboard, the headstock is a classically simple shape. Even the tailpiece is all business with the string-end holders easy to get to. Absolutey gorgeous. Congratulations.

grassrootphilosopher
Sep-01-2010, 7:20am
Clips, we need soundclips/videos. (Victor Smith has devoted followers, and as I hear for a good reason)

Is your mandolin x-braced?

JEStanek
Sep-01-2010, 8:18am
Very nice. Enjoy your new mandolin!

Jamie

Ed Goist
Sep-01-2010, 9:45am
Beautiful! I echo everything Brent said (except I like fret markers, and I like the look of the traditional Gibson tailpiece also). Nonetheless, that is one gorgeous mandolin. I particularly like the peghead. Congratulations!

Jeroen
Sep-01-2010, 10:01am
Woo-hoo!

Shh, Olaf, and you just might be able to hear that Flatbush in Norway from where you are.
The new Flatbushes have a special X-based bracing pattern that gives both the signature Flatbush oompf and the clear stiff highs that a conservative bluegrass player might miss in Victor's older instruments.
Spencer might chime in and add some first hand views and knowledge on tonal aspects of the newer Flatbushes.
When you hear one, you will want to have one.

Spencer
Sep-02-2010, 6:38pm
Well, since you mention it Jeroen! I have an A4 from 1999, on which Victor put a new top a couple years ago. I really liked the old version, and like the new even more. As Jeroen mentioned, it still has the powerful bottom end, but the highs are even brighter than before, but not too much so. I believe Victor mentioned that the arching on the top has also been changed some from the old model. Jeroens V4 is of the older design, but is an outstanding mandolin as well, just different in its character, and really powerful. We have lots of fun playing each other's instruments when we get together.

Susi from Sweden has what I think is the first of the new A4 design.
Susi's A4 (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=118)

She had some sound clips on YouTube a while back, don't know if they are still there. I've heard her mandolin, and it is a wonderful instrument, Victor is really getting the tone out of his mandolins lately.

Long before I had the top changed, I had the original cover-type tailpiece, and got tired of messing with the cover, and Victor put an Allen tailpiece on it for me. We liked it the look so well, that it has become the standard on the A models. I don't miss the cover at all.

Spencer

etteM
Sep-03-2010, 3:31am
thanks for the compliments and gratulations, the flatbush is wonderful, better than I hoped :D

only downside is It has too much oompf for the old folks home, so I had to mute it when I was playing during nightshifts, so I`ve had to start taking the old morgan monroe to work again:D

I haven`t played that many good mandolins and can`t really say too much about the qualities of it, but my teacher and everyone else who have tried it are very impressed:)

bropete
Sep-07-2010, 4:33pm
Congrats, You have a quality instrument in your hands. I own a Flatbush V5. Victor is a top builder, very skilled. Pete

Rustyback
Mar-27-2011, 11:02am
Congrats from another A4 owner, --- looks very much like the one I custom ordered in 07 #97 except for the redesigned "F" hole,
I asked Victor for a dark sounding mandolin,(Like Matt Flinners) which is what I got ( my picking buddy has # 98, which is brighter sounding")
I believe I have the first one with his new bracing, which actually is a sort of hybrid bracing -an X with tiny tonebars added
( have a picture but do not dare to show it ) --- Victor is a MASTER luthier ( and a great guy) he really knows what he do, but the last time I talked to him, he told me that he had not build many mandos lately --- hope this could stimulate some interest.
I really love my Flatbush though I really dont know if I deserve it . Jens