PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi Sawyer

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-01-2010, 3:35am
Having played this tune on Banjo for more years than i care to remember,i just had a sudden urge to 'Mandolise' it.I found this terrific clip on YouTube,
Ivan:cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do4VbnO-GVs

For some reason i couldn't 'embed' the clip ??.

JeffD
Sep-01-2010, 10:55am
Here ya go

Do4VbnO-GVs

Chris "Bucket" Thomas
Sep-01-2010, 6:03pm
That is pretty good collection of styles.

Here is my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dcp7vkMXs4&p=E127E9556D7F1EF0&playnext=1&index=52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dcp7vkMXs4&p=E127E9556D7F1EF0&playnext=1&index=52

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-02-2010, 2:11am
Thanks JeffD - I think that my inability to 'embed' the clip was that i logged onto the 'Cafe using Firefox - my normal web browser. If i use Internet Explorer v6,i don't have any problems. Firefox & YouTube aren't the best of bedfellows.I have to use IE if i want to record a clip to my PC using RealPlayer SP. Firefox demands that i buy RealPlayer SP Plus to do the same thing.
I don't know who the guy Robin Bullock is,but he's a great picker & is that Gibson's Dave Harvey ? - i think it is,
Ivan

Bertram Henze
Sep-02-2010, 5:17am
Ivan, you can embed a video with any browser if you use the embedding tool included in the Cafe: when adding a post, go to "Go Advanced", use the little red "Tube" button and insert the youtube identification code you can copy from the video's URL. For instance, your video has the URL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do4VbnO-GVs, so the code would be Do4VbnO-GVs. That's how I do it and, frankly, I didn't know there's any other way to do it.

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-02-2010, 5:55am
I hear what you say Bertram,but it just didn't work. I embeded the clip (so i thought) but it wasn't on there. I opened the thread up again & saw the 'embed' URL still on ,but the clip itself didn't show up. It's the first time it's happened, so maybe a minor one-off glitch in the 'Cafe's wiring ??,
Ivan

tree
Sep-02-2010, 7:44am
David Bromberg has a killer version of Mississippi Sawyer in a live medley (Don't Let Your Deal Go Down/Roanoke/Mississippi Sawyer) on the My Own House record (album . . . cd . . . whatever, I have it on vinyl). ~:>

Awesome, soaring twin fiddles on MS in particular. Man, that band could play!

Hayduke
Sep-02-2010, 9:15am
Thank you! I'm now on a mission to learn this one.

pickloser
Sep-02-2010, 10:01am
Thanks JeffD - I don't know who the guy Robin Bullock is,but he's a great picker
He's a great player and wonderful teacher. (Awesome on guitar too.) I learned a lot from him at Kaufman camp. I wish he were going to be there in 2011.

I believe he lives in France, Ivan, although he's from this side of the Atlantic. He also posts here from time to time.

Kshot
Sep-02-2010, 3:11pm
I remember that performance, what a great lineup of pickers! Keith

Ivan Kelsall
Sep-02-2010, 11:43pm
Hi Laura - It's nice to know that Robin Bullock is a teacher also.He's certainly a terrific player & it's great that he passes on his skills through teaching.
Keith - You were there ??!!. I'd give a year's pension to be able to see a line up like that. Two of my favourite players on there,John Reischman & the awesome John Moore.
I first learned the tune when i was playing with a couple of guys from Manchester Uni. back in the late '60's & it's been a Banjo favourite of mine since then. It's a great tune to play on Mandolin. I've been learning this & ''The Road To Columbus'' these last few days. Both are nice 'easy going' tunes with plenty of space to think up your own licks to put in - just my style !,
Ivan

Kshot
Sep-05-2010, 7:05pm
Hi Ivan,
Not sure how much air travel would be but there are usually some number of folks from England and points much farther that come to the Kaufman acoustic camp each year. Its probably less than a years pension. There was a really good group of mando instructors in 09 but this sort of hot picking is very common in the nightly performances every year (I've gone to 6 so far). Like Laura said: Robin's classes were great with a bit of a celtic focus. The beauty of this camp is that there are usually a number of different styles represented... Keith

swampstomper
Sep-05-2010, 11:06pm
OK, any mando player approaching this tune *has* to listen to / attempt to play Jethro's break on the Country Fiddler's "Down Yonder" LP... circulating underground these days.