PDA

View Full Version : km-805 or m118sw which one to get? any ideas'

dann
Aug-29-2010, 5:29pm
i own a Kentucky km-630 right now girlfriend wants to learn so i'm getting another mandolin i have nothing to say about my kentucky but like the distressed finish on the washburn but does anyone have it ? let me know.

dann
Aug-29-2010, 6:07pm
this is the washburn mandolin
http://www.washburn.com/acoustics/m-118sw/

and this is the kentucky model
http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/details.asp?ProductID=KM-805&keyword=805

Folkmusician.com
Aug-29-2010, 10:20pm
I am very familiar with the Kentucky, but have not seen the Washburn in person. I have seen it's brother (made at the same factory), the Morgan Monroe MDM-1 (I was setting one up today).

http://www.folkmusician.com/images/mdm-1-f.jpg

They have a few minor differences, but otherwise should be the same basic mandolin. I like the finish. It is brushed on and looks good. The distressing does not look authentic, but it is tastefully done. I like the tailpiece. This is a good quality piece of hardware, though not as nice as a real Allan. These should have the identical neck. If this is the case, the nut width is about the same as the KM-805 . The KM-805 has a "V" to the neck, the MDM-1 is a round profile. The 805 does have a radiused board (the MDM-1 is also radiused), and I don't see that mentioned with the Washburn. Assuming equal setup, playability should be good on the Kentucky or the Washburn. Unless the Washburn has been graduated differently than the MDM-1, I prefer the tone of the Kentucky. I do think that you would do fine with either. :)

Of note: The KM-805 will have nothing whatsoever in common with your KM-630. Even the tailpiece is different.

dann
Aug-30-2010, 6:01am
what about that mdm-1 better than the 2 i mentioned?

Folkmusician.com
Aug-30-2010, 9:52am
My educated guess is that it is the same as the Washburn with a few cosmetic differences and possibly the fingerboard. Between the MDM-1 and the M118SW, you shouldn't notice much of a difference assuming they are both setup well.

I lean toward the Kentucky, but there are a lot of players that do prefer mandolins like the MDM-1/M118SW, or the rest of the family of mandolins coming from this factory.

CES
Aug-30-2010, 10:16am
If you're buying online without a chance to play first I'd probably vote for going with the Kentucky, but you can find some good MM and Washburns out there, too. Play if you can. If not, I'd vote for calling a Cafe sponsor and have them play some for you...then pick the one you think sounds the best to you. By buying from a good store you'll get a good setup, which is huge...buy from a warehouse and you'll end up making up the price difference when you have to go pay someone for a setup...

Good luck, and hope you find a good 'un!

hdismal
Aug-31-2010, 10:19am
Hello,
Bought an m118sw six months ago on 'bay (as a second), and couldn't be more pleased. I have zero high end experience, but have gone through a Kentucky 250s, Michael Kelly Evolution (hand picked for me as a replacement for a dud = above average), Glenn F5 #3, and a '44 Gibson A-50, not to mention a slew of Kay & no-name instruments over the last 20 years. I bought the Washbhurn in spite of the "relic look", although it did indeed fill my need for a plain-jane no bells and abalone kinda look. Neck is rounded and comfortable, 1 3/16" nut, no radius on the fretboard. Washburn sez the body is slighty thicker than the norm, but I have no other for comparison at present. Tone is open, woody, clean. So much so that I still have the factory stings on it in the hopes that I can figure out how to get it on you tube without embarassing myself so others who might be interested could take a listen as close to stock as possible. Finish is not perfect, and the rope purfling is sorta hand-made, but not to it's detriment. I like it, and for the $560 I paid for it, should suit me well for as long as I can still play. Only upgrade I plan is a bone nut. My suggestion would be try one if you can find it if you prefer a slightly fuller/wider neck, and if you can find it at less than the customary going rate of $800+, I would scarf it up. Fare well, h