PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm

YMSBfan
Aug-27-2010, 9:39pm
As my search continues, I stopped in today to pick up some picks. I mentioned to the owner that I had picked up a cheap A model. As we discussed it and a got talking about diffrent aspects and what not of the mandolin in general. He picked up a Woods F model and started ripping some bluegrass riff's. I was amazed at how the mandolin sounded. It seemed alot warmer than the one I owned a few years back. I dont know if the wood aged in the past few years or what. He got a large lot of Woods instruments 3-4 years back and is down to this one mandolin and 2 or 3 guitars.

He told me if I want to put $5 down on it he'd take it off the shelf and hold it, and if I change my mind he's fine with that. So I took it up and started picking what few riff's and chords I know as well as some little runs Ive been having fun with. This thing played great, it fretted easy. O so easy with no buzz what so ever. The only thing I could remotely compair it to is a buddy's 56 Les Paul. It just played so well. You could almost fret it with a feather, ok maybe thats a bit much.

Since Ive gotten home and settled in tonight. Ive dug around for any kind of review or anything on Woods. All Ive been able to find is Woods is part of the Hanser Music Group, the same "mother company" that owns B.C. Rich, Michael Kelly, Traben bass and Kustom to name a few. It appears that Woods is part of the Davitt & Hasner group which makes Excell's which Im well aware of as a cheap instrument manufactur. Could Woods be the nicer line? I know that while its very rare sometimes companys have a well known cheap line and a nice unknown high end. Prime example is First Act which wal mart use to carry, there is some very nice high end electrics that are next to impossible to find. About like tracking down Les Paul's first Les Paul.

Does anyone know anything about these? The Woods website is "coming soon" but its been coming since I bought a Woods acoustic some 3 years back. He also said he's been unable to find any more of these through any of his suppliers and depending on how much he has to order up front might be looking to getting back into being a offical Alvarez dealer.

-J.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-27-2010, 9:45pm
The mandolin I'm seeing when I Google this is a generic pacific rim mandolin sold under a few dozen names in the US.

YMSBfan
Aug-27-2010, 10:25pm
I should probably add that I know this isnt a "ideal" choice. I just really like how it sounded and how easy it was to play. I know if I go this route that I will not be able to move it later on if I wanted to and if I did Id have to take a lost on the instrument. I just really wondered if anyone knew anything about them or maybe picked one up being curious when they saw one somewhere.

Ron McMillan
Aug-28-2010, 5:25am
MikeE is clearly a lot more handy with Google than I am, because I can't find any information on Woods mandolins out there.

ron

Brent Hutto
Aug-28-2010, 6:51am
http://www.hansermusicgroup.com/

Check the spelling of "Hanser".

Folkmusician.com
Aug-28-2010, 10:51am
Woods: W420B

Spruce Top
Mahogany Back and Sides
Tobacco Sunburst with Traditional Styling
Maple Neck
Rosewood Fingerboard
Adjustable Bridge
Pearloid Buttons
F Sound Holes

List Price: $529.95

The mandolin is currently back-ordered from HMG, but has been readily available up until just recently. HMG is the sole distributor for this line.