PDA

View Full Version : 1912-ish Mandola

danb
Aug-27-2010, 6:15pm
Here's H1 #13322 (http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/13322), a new resident. The tailpiece cover comes from another instrument, and probably is on just a little too late of a serial number here but it looks right with the chin rest style pickguard clamp this dola came with!

F-2 Dave
Aug-27-2010, 10:20pm
Nice. I think the old pineapple looks great on there. Did all the H1's have the fret board extension?

Scott Tichenor
Aug-28-2010, 11:50am
Seems I've seen that tailpiece cover somewhere :)

Bernie Daniel
Aug-28-2010, 2:29pm
Nice. I think the old pineapple looks great on there. Did all the H1's have the fret board extension?

All that I have seen had the fb extension -- including my own 1912 model (that is the year I have for it). I was wondering when the violin-type treaded-barrel pick guard clamp ended and that german-silver pressed-slide type clamp started? The patent date for the latter style is July 4, 1911 -- implying Gibson had it some years before that?

I've been looking for a mandola clamp for years with no luck -- so I finally made this.

Still looking for a real one. FYI serial number: 11520

danb
Sep-01-2010, 6:19am
Bernie- I'm pretty sure it's the same as a mandolin clamp.. they're adjustible for length with a little pin inside (That often wears out!). THe cello and guitar ones are bigger though