PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Mandolin Armrests?

Mandolin Mick
Aug-15-2010, 5:52pm
I've been toying with the idea of armrests for my mandolins for all the classic reasons; tone, comfort and protecting the finish.

I'm attracted to the McClungs with flowerpots, buffalo & hummingbirds, etc.

I'm open to any comments, suggestions, photos, advice, etc.!!!:)

Brent Hutto
Aug-15-2010, 6:12pm
I've put an old viola armrest on my Redline Traveler for a few minutes a couple times. It definitely keeps my arm up in a good playing position but for the moment I'd rather just remember not to squeeze down with my forearm instead of having the armrest as a reminder. I can see the value of it, though.

TurboMick
Aug-15-2010, 6:13pm
Hey Mick: I have one on my Breedlove and it works great. I hve seen no problems. Carefull not to over tighten. It helps to guide my arm. And protects the finish.

Mandolin Mick
Aug-15-2010, 6:15pm
Thanx guys! I've only heard good, but I want to know the good, bad & ugly!

Keep `em coming!

Robb Todd
Aug-15-2010, 6:18pm
I have oily skin so it protects the finish and as a learner it put my arm in a good position .
I have a McClung and doug was great and easy to deal with.

MandoNicity
Aug-15-2010, 6:36pm
Tone? How would an arm rest help with tone? It's a piece of wood clamped to the side. People seem to love these things, but I just don't see any use for one. I also wouldn't own a tone guard, but that's just me. I'm just an old curmudgeon. ;)

JR

Mandolin Mick
Aug-15-2010, 6:38pm
It keeps your arm off the mandolin which dampens the sound. A tone guard keeps the mandolin off your body and increases volume.

Jim Kirkland
Aug-15-2010, 10:59pm
I'm on my 2nd armrest, both by Doug Edwards. I did a McClung with my initials. Looks super, but it really helps with the comfort and ease of playing. Doug is a super guy to deal with.

MandoNicity
Aug-15-2010, 11:46pm
It keeps your arm off the mandolin which dampens the sound. A tone guard keeps the mandolin off your body and increases volume.

I understand how the tone guard works and can see it might be effective for some people but I'm not buying the arm rest argument. I'd wager that clamping a piece of wood to your mando does more damping then your arm on the mando. Everyone plays differently of course but if i hold my arm off my instrument and play and then play with my arm semi resting on the instrument I don't discern any difference in sound/tone. Anyway this is just me. Like I said lots and lots of people love these things. I hope you enjoy yours if you get one.

JR

bratsche
Aug-16-2010, 12:18am
I've put an old viola armrest on my Redline Traveler for a few minutes a couple times. It definitely keeps my arm up in a good playing position but for the moment I'd rather just remember not to squeeze down with my forearm instead of having the armrest as a reminder. I can see the value of it, though.

Viola armrest? :disbelief: Pray tell, what is that? Do you mean a viola chin or shoulder rest?

bratsche (who has never seen a violist use an armrest...)

GRW3
Aug-16-2010, 12:35am
I prefer the McClung from Doug. I like the lift the angled armrest gives my arm to pretty much set my hand at the right playing position. On my mandolin, damping the top does effect the tone. The McClung only touches the top at the edge where the binding is, it does not touch the resonant part. The angle also gives a broader contact surface to avoid the 'binding corner' dig into your flesh.

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-16-2010, 3:34am
Mick - I think that armrests are a good idea on the whole. But make sure that the turnbuckles that hold the rest in place,can't touch the side of your instrument, especially if you're intending to leave it on all the time.
I had one on my 1st Lebeda & i thought that it was great - until having placed it in the case,i took it out,only to find that the turnbuckle had dug into the side of the Mandolin & flaked a piece of the finish off.
A piece of soft leather or felt placed between the rest & the Mandolin side is a 'must' IMHO. Doug Edwards makes a rest with a top & bottom clamp that's 'stepped' & grips the edges of the Mandolin.The 'step' prevents the rest from pushing into the side of the instrument - a good idea,
Ivan

i-vibe
Aug-16-2010, 8:04am
count me a fan of the armrest.

steve bell makes some fine armrests for very reasonable $....great guy to deal w and very fast turnaround time.

check this thread for more info: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?63196-Arm-rests

Mandobart
Aug-16-2010, 8:40am
I have a Cumberland armrest from StewMac on my mandolin. I find it more comfortable to have on. Don't notice any difference in tone. As far as clamps on an instrument being a bad idea, they have been in use for a couple centuries at least on violins and violas as chin rests. I couldn't play my fiddle without a chin rest, but I've always had it on (~ 40 yrs). I think the Mclung and England arm rests look more comfortable than the smaller Cumberland style. I know I sure wish I had an armrest for my OM's, esp. the MK. However, the arm rest makers don't yet make them, except for the John Pearse stick on style. I have a few spare chin rests that I'm taking to a machinist to make longer turnbuckles to fit the deeper OM body; then I can try making my own arm rests.

AlanN
Aug-16-2010, 8:49am
Bought it, tried it, sold it.

GRW3
Aug-16-2010, 11:09am
... I know I sure wish I had an armrest for my OM's, esp. the MK. However, the arm rest makers don't yet make them, except for the John Pearse stick on style...

Have you asked Doug about making you a custom unit. Since all of his units are essentially custom seems like a bigger unit would be reasonably easy to accomplish.

jim_n_virginia
Aug-16-2010, 11:25am
Tone? How would an arm rest help with tone? It's a piece of wood clamped to the side.

JR The Armrest clamps to the edge of the mandolin where there is no vibrations. So when you put your arm on the armrest the arm is no longer touching the top of the mandolin which will hinder vibration. Thats how they work.

I use an armrest with a Tonegard. The ToneGard keeps your body off the back and the armrest keeps your arm off the top it allows the entire mandolin to vibrate like you are not touching it. The effect is dramatic at least with my mandolin.

I cannot tell you how many times I have been in a large jam (12-15+ people) and the noise deafening and I cannot hear other mandolins but when I take a break I can cut right through and be heard. I believe it to be because of combination of these two accessories.

Doug Edwards
Aug-16-2010, 11:26am
The problem with an OM and simular instruments is the instrument's thickness. I can handle up to 2 1/4" using my 39 & 40 mm barrels. Making custom shapes is not a problem.

bratsche
Aug-16-2010, 11:27am
FWIW, I once bought one of these (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220513827514&) clamp sets off eBay because of the different design (it screws from the end instead of the side) but have yet to use it for anything.

The main problem with the turnbuckle style armrests is the clamps are designed for a violin or viola that has a top and back overhang that will keep it from coming in direct contact with the side. But even if it didn't, I don't like the design because of the way it will inevitably leave impressions in the finish.

Even though all violin/viola chinrests come lined with cork to pad them on both top and bottom parts, I have yet to see one that hasn't left a noticeable impression in the varnish finish, on both the top and bottom. It's not an issue for me on those instruments, however, because the thing always stays on, covering the marks, and 99% of violin/viola players use them. However, with armrests, mando players' tastes and playing styles, and even an individual player's whims on the subject may vary greatly. I wouldn't want to have a armrest-less instrument's finish bearing visible, unsightly scars from a previously used armrest, nor would I want to leave an instrument in such a potential condition. I'd prefer to have an armrest be attached directly to the tailpiece, somewhat like Weber's integrated style tailpiece/armrest.

bratsche

Gene Korte
Aug-16-2010, 11:35am
Mandobart,

Go to decormusic.com for longer bracket barrels.

I made an armrest for my Kentucky mando that was quite a bit deeper bodied than my Breedlove. The 39 mm barrels worked perfectly.

Tim2723
Aug-16-2010, 11:37am
I too am not a fan of arm rests or ToneGards (by any manufacturer under any label). They certainly change the tone of a mandolin, there's no question of it. They also do the other things claimed, like increasing volume and protecting the finish. But to my ear, having the instrument against the body is part and parcel of the mandolin's sound. I've never come to enjoy the tone of an instrument 'hanging in space'. For me, it's the same sound you get when strumming the strings of a mandolin that's hanging on a music store wall. Unnatural to my ear. It's always a personal choice, and there's no right or wrong about it.

Elliot Luber
Aug-16-2010, 12:15pm
I really like my armrest. It makes playing much more comfortable and protects my instrument. I don't hear any difference either way.

mandroid
Aug-16-2010, 12:26pm
Re-curve on the top is right on the edge, binding is the high point,
on one [f5 Lebeda] mandolin, I bought .

so it got an armrest. takes care of sharp angled edge.

OTOH, my other mandolins where the edge is square, or more, it's not a problem.

Glassweb
Aug-16-2010, 12:31pm
there's no way i'm gonna put an armrest or a toneguard on my mandolin... i understand people's reasons for using these things, but i don't want NUTHIN" coming between me and my F5... the naked F5... perfection!

jim_n_virginia
Aug-16-2010, 3:02pm
I don't like the design because of the way it will inevitably leave impressions in the finish.

Even though all violin/viola chinrests come lined with cork to pad them on both top and bottom parts, I have yet to see one that hasn't left a noticeable impression in the varnish finish, on both the top and bottom.
bratsche

bratsche I peeled the cork off and replaced it with heavy felt that I bought as a sheet and I cut to fit the armrest. I super glued it so it won't ever come off. I've had it on over a year and I take the armrest off every once in a while to clean and I don't see any marks yet. The felt is fairly heavy like you would put under a lamp of something. I got it from Home Depot. So far it is protecting my finish.

It is inevitable that some will like them and some won't Just like a car, some like convertibles and some don't.

Best thing to do if someone is curious is buy one and try it if you don't like it sell it in the classifieds. :mandosmiley:

journeybear
Aug-16-2010, 4:58pm
I've been thinking about getting one because I worry about the effect sweat has on the finish. Sometimes I use a bandana, but that doesn't always work - last week I was doing some porch pickin' and the bandana was soaked in a quarter hour. I don't like invasive procedures or apparati, though, however slight. I may need a raincoat ... ;)

Mandolin Mick
Aug-16-2010, 5:02pm
Thanx for the help guys!!! Sounds like the yeas have it ...

I talked with Doug McClung today and he's customizing an armrest for my Gibson. It'll have a flowerpot on it.

MandoNicity
Aug-16-2010, 5:36pm
Let us know what you think after you use it for a while Mick. Hope it works out for you.

JR

Cheryl Watson
Aug-16-2010, 5:40pm
I don't like armrests too small nor too large. If they are not rounded off on the edge they cut into my arm. The cork mars a varnish finish--I prefer leather. You have to check once a week or so (especially before every gig) that they are secure. I had one let loose in the middle of a song once. Just fell right off.

My favorites are the Siren (but I had to round off the edge, smooth the wood out) and my Edwards McClung armrest which was made right from the get-go. I like the comfort and angle they give and I do get more volume.

Perry Babasin
Aug-16-2010, 6:07pm
I know a lot of pickers here like distressed mandolins in the tradition of Bill Monroe, but I have always babied my instruments and taken really good care of them. I think I got that from my Dad who was always polishing up and cleaning his basses. Well anyway, I was blessed with caustic perspiration that is apparently a good solvent for instrument finishes, sooo I need an armrest. It actually started with my Martin HD-28 that developed a nice dull spot on the top where my arm rests (pre-mando). I got one of those rosewood armrests like Doc Watson uses for the guitar and put the mando clamp style on my mandolins as well. I think they look cool too.

Jim MacDaniel
Aug-16-2010, 6:52pm
I don't use an armrest, and am not into bling or add-ons in general (other than a clip-on tuner), but my favorite armrest has got to be the Weber armrest with integrated tailpiece (or is it a tailpiece with integrated armest? :confused:), pictured here with what looks like a Breedlove OF...

http://www.soundtoearth.com/include/thumb.php?disp=prod&img=../product/product51-pic1.jpg

JonZ
Aug-16-2010, 6:54pm
I don't think they would look so great on my couch, but they might look good on my rocking chair.

journeybear
Aug-16-2010, 7:01pm
:)) I don't know if they're available as an after-market add-on. Maybe as a custom job ... ;)

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-17-2010, 5:21am
I really like the clamp that Bratsche linked us to. It lends itself to having a piece of natural (not synthetic) rubber tubing slipped over it to prevent the metal touching the sides - i'd go for an armrest using those covered in a rubber sleeve,
Ivan

Jim DeSalvio
Aug-17-2010, 6:58am
I have 3 Mc Clung's and really enjoy the comfort they provide. I leave them on all the time, and have not had trouble getting my mandos to fit in the case. I have lower end instruments, so have no concern about any marks or finish issues, but have not seen any effects yet, when I remove them to clean the instruments. I like Jim's idea of the felt, and that should be easy to change. I think one of the secrets to protecting the finish is snug, and not too tight on the clamp.

Primarilywoodcharlie
Oct-31-2012, 8:29pm
I gotta' agree about the McClung armrest. I bought one for my Furch mando and I love it. It helps me hold on the dang' thing better and lets my arm hang at the right angle to keep me from hurting my wrist.
I'm getting another armrest for my Breedlove as soon as Doug makes a light colored one.
Highly recommended!!

Astro
Oct-31-2012, 10:35pm
I agree with PWC above and others. I love my McClung. Instantly positioned my wrist/right hand in at a better angle and thereby relieved stress of having to curl my wrist. Also took the edge pressure off my forearm. I wouldn't want to play without one and now I even wonder why all mandos don't come with one. Its that integral for me. I guess it just depends on ones anatomy, but for me its essential.

The whole finish debate is irrelevant for me because mine doesnt come off and I bought this mando to play it, not to look at it.

dmac
Feb-19-2013, 10:31am
I put a McClung armrest (from hillcountrystringworks.com) on my 1917 Gibson A and it opened up the sound enormously. It also feels really comfortable - the angle is perfect for the way I play.

I guess keeping my arm off the top of the mando let's more of the natural sound out - but I can still hold it firmly for good hand and wrist position. I like it - and Doug makes a fine product. I'm getting another one for my travel mando.

greg_tsam
Feb-19-2013, 1:18pm
I have a McClung with a Texas Star inlay and if I listen very carefully when my case is closed I can hear The Eyes of Texas and cries of "Remember the Alamo!" emanating from within.