PDA

View Full Version : Up On The Ridge - Dierks Bently

mandopete
Aug-15-2010, 12:01pm
So here's a recording I was quite surprised to find I liked (a lot). I'm finding that I'm starting to like (gasp) hearing drums in the bluegrass mix these days like Randy Kohrs and Josh Williams, so I thought this one might be in that mix too. But that's not what got me, it's the voice. He does a really nice version of Bob Dylan's "Senor" with the Punch Brothers adding some tasty, tasty backup. There's another tune called "Your Dead To Me" that could easily be covered by someone like Tim O'Brien.

Anyway, check it out and let me knnow what ya'll think.

Five Stars.

mando.player
Aug-15-2010, 12:29pm
I picked this up last week while on vacation. What grabbed me was the cover of U2's Pride. I heard it on AcousticCafe and had to find the CD. A bonus was the 3 or 4 tunes that he's backed by the punch bros. Dierks does have a nice Bari voice that is just different enough to pop out in the mix. All around a pretty good CD

sgarrity
Aug-15-2010, 1:42pm
I think it's a darn fine recording. I was quite skeptical when I bought it but I can't stop listening to it. Dierks has a great voice and truly appreciates acoustic music. I saw him sing a few songs with the Infamous Stringdusters at the Station Inn earlier this year. This cd is what country music ought to be!

Mike Bunting
Aug-15-2010, 2:26pm
Interesting, saw him on Letterman doing that song and it didn't suit my tastes at all. Charlie Robison is what I like in the more modern country music.

sgarrity
Aug-17-2010, 10:36am
The song Up On the Ridge that he did on Letterman is the worst cut on the cd IMHO. The rest of the cd is really good with a great supporting cast. You even get to hear Ronnie play mandola on a couple cuts.

mandopete
Aug-18-2010, 9:13am
I think I like the title cut the least on this recording. You should listen to the rest of it.

GDAE
Aug-18-2010, 10:26am
I think it's a great CD...agreed about the title song, though. I've been working on Senor, which is a really nice version.

zookster
Aug-19-2010, 8:00am
I'm not a fan of country music, but I caught Dierks with the Travelling McCoureys at MerleFest this spring. Great set, very solid song selection, and those back up boys might have a future in music. The album is good, especially "Senor" and "Pride."

You might be interested that Dierks introduced Senor as "one of my favorite Tim O'Brien songs." Maybe he really doesn't know.....

mandopete
Aug-19-2010, 10:22am
Yeah, I think his version of Senor is closer to the Tim O'Brien version that Dylan's.

Sitka
Sep-22-2010, 11:28am
Here's Dierks alongside Tim O'Brien. Probably why they sound so close.

Micah