PDA

View Full Version : Bill Monroe & Carl Story

Mandolin Mick
Aug-13-2010, 3:56pm
The photo of Bill Monroe & Carl Story by Wayne Helfrich really moved me ... :(

I began playing the mandolin because of these 2 men ...:mandosmiley:

Sometime in the mid `80's I was listening to the superstation KXEL in Waterloo, Iowa. They played Bluegrass Gospel around 10:30pm every night. One particular night they played an album by Carl Story & his Rambling Mountaineers "A Lonesome Wail from the Hills". Red Rector plays mandolin on it and it's my favorite album to this day.:)

After they played the album, they played an eerie mandolin instrumental; to make a long story short it was "My Last Days on Earth" by Bill Monroe. That became my favorite song, and it is to this day.:)

I still have the cassette recording I made of that night's program. I thank God for these 2 men who were truly great men in their field.

Mandolin Mick
Aug-13-2010, 3:58pm
I forgot to add this photo!!!

Bernie Daniel
Aug-20-2010, 6:11am
Cool story -- be sure to convert that cassette to digital -- won't be anything to play it on eventually.:)

Mandolin Mick
Aug-22-2010, 4:26am
You know, to this day when I listen to "My Last Days on Earth", in my head, I hear the radio static and the reception fading in and out!:)) For many years I didn't know who this was by and deduced what the licks were that the reception missed ... I was right!:) That's what Bill Monroe meant when he said that the tune wrote itself; if you're a musician you can guess what the next line will be. I play Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" on the piano and it's the same deal.

Bernie Daniel
Aug-22-2010, 8:10am
Mick you are dating yourself!!! :))

But I understand completely -- I grew up on a sheep ranch/wheat farm in the extreme NW corner of North Dakota -- we had no TV until the mid-1950's so we lived by radio.

My family was into traditional country and country western but for some reason we did not have access (that I can recall anyway to the Grand Ole Opry) we mostly listened to artists like Eddie Arnold, Carl Smith the Sons of the Pioneers with Leonard Slye (aka Roy Rogers) and so forth!! So bluegrass was not part of my early musical experiences.

Getting your entrainment on radio rather than TV (as a kid) develops the mind a bit differently I think. We kept a few dairy cows for milk and had an old Philco radio in the barn. So we would listen to "The Lone Ranger" during milking -- we had to create our own mental images of the scenes -- TV does it for you! :)

And I do recall the static too -- strange the things you remember and that now seem a bit endearing!