PDA

View Full Version : Kay 1950's Mando w/De Armond Pickup

bcoons
Aug-12-2010, 11:46am
I'm wondering if anyone knows how to tell what year this instrument was made. It has no numbers, stamps or labels on it (inside or out) and I can't find any info on it. Also- there is no number or identifiers on the DeArmond pickup. I'm at a loss. The instrument was part of a find at an estate sale my dad is preparing... with it was a 1956 Fender Harvard Tweed amp (mint), and a Gibson ES225t (1955)... very cool and I was able to find info on those, but not the Kay. Any ideas folks? Thanks for the help!

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab105/briancoons/kaymandolin1_web.gif

david blair
Aug-17-2010, 7:38am
Does the pickup work?
I so want one of those...

i-vibe
Aug-17-2010, 9:10am
hah...i have a very similar KAY mando myself....no digi camera or otherwise i'd post a pic.

mine has the same body shape, checkerboard binding , big block inlays, and a thin "lipstick tube" pickup. i love this thing! not much acoustic volume with it's thick laminated top...but it has a very cool amplified voice.

i keep it strung up w TI's and at some point someone had it refretted w large frets....it plays like a dream.

no serial number but stamped inside w ink is "N-3". i've never been able to find out anything about this model.

i see you have what appears to be an older De'Armond "monkey on a stick" pickup. the gt version of that pickup is considered to be the bomb and fetches all kinds of stupid money.

i suspect that pickup alone might be worth as much or more than the mando itself!

btw...not too long ago i picked up a later version of that pickup (prolly from the early to mid '70's) and though it doesn't look as cool as those old ones.....it really does sound good.

Spruce
Aug-17-2010, 9:51am
Does the pickup work?

They are nice sounding, but the Harvard is the score....

My favorite amp, bar none....

bcoons
Aug-17-2010, 10:16am
Does the pickup work?

Yeah, David- the pickup works great. Only thing wrong with the whole setup is that the neck is starting to separate from the body- which I've heard is common the Kay's- not a very strong neck joint.

bcoons
Aug-17-2010, 10:17am
hah...i have a very similar KAY mando myself....no digi camera or otherwise i'd post a pic.

mine has the same body shape, checkerboard binding , big block inlays, and a thin "lipstick tube" pickup. i love this thing! not much acoustic volume with it's thick laminated top...but it has a very cool amplified voice.

i keep it strung up w TI's and at some point someone had it refretted w large frets....it plays like a dream.

no serial number but stamped inside w ink is "N-3". i've never been able to find out anything about this model.

i see you have what appears to be an older De'Armond "monkey on a stick" pickup. the gt version of that pickup is considered to be the bomb and fetches all kinds of stupid money.

i suspect that pickup alone might be worth as much or more than the mando itself!

btw...not too long ago i picked up a later version of that pickup (prolly from the early to mid '70's) and though it doesn't look as cool as those old ones.....it really does sound good.

Thanks for the comment and added info!

bcoons
Aug-17-2010, 10:18am
They are nice sounding, but the Harvard is the score....

My favorite amp, bar none....

Totally Agree! I've plugged in and played the Harvard and it is a dream tone machine- still, even with the 55 year old original tubes!

mtucker
Aug-17-2010, 12:05pm
Totally Agree! I've plugged in and played the Harvard and it is a dream tone machine- still, even with the 55 year old original tubes!

May want to give it a checkup if its sat a long time ...would be a shame to burn it up.

http://www.kbapps.com/tubeamptips.html

bcoons
Aug-17-2010, 12:52pm
May want to give it a checkup if its sat a long time ...would be a shame to burn it up.

http://www.kbapps.com/tubeamptips.html

Thank you sir! Great information.

mtucker
Aug-17-2010, 2:33pm
Gerald probably forgot more about old Fender tubes than most people know about them and always willing to chat ...don't know where you're located but odds are he may know someone in your area who can give it a look.

http://www.kendrick-amplifiers.com/

mandolinlee
Aug-18-2010, 11:29am
I have the same De Armond pickup, plus the original box. I used it on a Gibson A-40 and Stewart-McDonald Kit Mandolin, Model 7. Worked okay but had the weak E-string syndrome. I replaced the wiring because the original aged, hardened and cracked off. Believe the Model No. is M-500.
Lee