PDA

View Full Version : Santa Claus - the Monroe tune

rnjl
Aug-12-2010, 9:11am
Hey all, does anybody know if there's a transcription of "Santa Claus", the Bill Monroe instrumental, anywhere out there?

Thanks so much,

Neal

rnjl
Aug-12-2010, 11:24am
Got one - thanks again to to the Cafe community!

Neal

AlanN
Aug-12-2010, 12:47pm
Wasn't this Fishin Blues, or something like that. A common number that Uncle Bill done up the bluegrass way.

farmerjones
Aug-12-2010, 1:19pm
Another hard-to-find tune.
Sort of sounds like I Don't Love Nobody, and Nobody Loves Me.
Tony Rothrock had this on YT. pickin it on a Telemando. But he thinned out his stuff.
If somebody would still want a vid of it let me know. I'll make one fresh.

Phil Vinyard
Aug-12-2010, 6:58pm
Got one? Please share! I've been trying to find it and all I can come up with is a banjo version.

farmerjones
Aug-13-2010, 10:47am
Wow! I just found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XL8eFrQ7_k&feature=related
I dunno? This sounds like what we call "Santa Claus." Plus, it's played better than i could. :)
Like i said, some call it "I Don't Love Nobody."
I oft been accused of missing some subtleties in various tunes & songs.
What's a guy to do?

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-13-2010, 1:15pm
In the sleeve notes of the original LP,it says that " listeners may notice the similarity between Santa Claus & the tune 'I Don't Love Nobody' ". I believe i read somewhere that BM said that he tried to write a tune as close as possible to an existing tune,but to make it 'different',
Ivan

rnjl
Aug-13-2010, 2:38pm
Wow- that Jim and Jesse clip blows me away. I'm not into crosspicking but look at Jesse's fretting hand, just so fluid and graceful. I didn't know the relationship between I Don't Love Nobody and Santa Claus, but they're at least as close as Lost Indian and Cherokee Shuffle.

thanks again

Neal

Mike Bunting
Aug-13-2010, 4:12pm
While driving the I-64 from L'ville to O'boro through Indiana, I spotted the road sign to the town of Santa Claus, I also found a town called Stoney Lonesome in Indiana too. I think that Bill like using place names for tune titles.

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-14-2010, 1:18am
There's a town called "Stoney Lonesome " ??. Wow ! - the guy who named that place must have been really depressed. It's one of my favourite Monroe tunes,the one that opens the 'Bluegrass Instrumentals' LP. The twin fiddles on that make me go cold,
Ivan

Mike Bunting
Aug-14-2010, 3:16am
There's a town called "Stoney Lonesome " ??. Wow ! - the guy who named that place must have been really depressed. It's one of my favourite Monroe tunes,the one that opens the 'Bluegrass Instrumentals' LP. The twin fiddles on that make me go cold,
Ivan
It's about 50 miles or so east of a place called Gnaw Bone on highway 46. :)

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-15-2010, 2:53am
Just as a thought on this thread,something i posted in another thread,i read a book going back to the early '60s by an Historian B.A.Botkin "A Treasury Of American Folklore". It's still available to buy,& for anybody interested in ''Old Timey / Folklorey" things,it's a splendid & amusing book to read,
Ivan;)

evanreilly
Aug-15-2010, 3:15pm
I do believe that Highway 46 is also the 'Road to Columbus'.

Mike Bunting
Aug-15-2010, 3:40pm
I do believe that Highway 46 is also the 'Road to Columbus'.

Bill must have spent a lot of time driving back and forth between Rosine and the Sinclair Oil refinery back in the early days.

300win
Aug-16-2010, 5:09pm
I learned it by listening to the record 33 1/3 album { that shows you my age} long ago. I have always played it note for note just like the fiddle, and just last year decided to learn the banjo break on it, a fun tune to play.

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-17-2010, 3:15am
I've been playing Santa Claus on the Banjo for a loooooooong time. I figured everything out by myself except the opening bar(s),i just couldn't get it at all. Eventually a freind of mine showed me how to play it. It is a fun tune to play & a great one at that. I haven't tried to play the Mandolin part yet,it's in the keyof "A" so it shouldn't be too difficult (maybe),
Ivan;)