PDA

View Full Version : Wynn and Jesse

telepbrman
Oct-07-2004, 12:15am
What is the scoop on the Wynn - Jesse McReynolds mandolin? Thanks, dy.

John Flynn
Oct-07-2004, 7:15am
Made by John Wynn of the Springfield, MO area. He has been making banjos and mandos for decades and was still making them as of last year. The story goes he made five of the three pointers just for Jesse. Jesse picked two from the litter and John Wynn sold the remaining three as "Made for Jesse McReynolds." Wynn went on to make more three points as well as F's. A friend of mine has one of the "McReynolds five" that sat unsold in a Springfield music store for a long time. Wynn made some of them with maple backs that can go for as high as $2,800 used, give or take. He also made some more mellow ones, I think with walnut backs, that go for around $2,200 used, give or take.

telepbrman
Oct-07-2004, 11:08am
That is what I was looking for, great scoop and thanks for your time and help, dy.

Lee
May-16-2005, 5:13pm
It's back on Ebay.

pickinNgrinnin
May-16-2005, 11:17pm
I had one a few years back that I bought for $800.00 Sounded OK and was a bit on the rough side in terms of fit and finish. I spoke with Jesse McReynolds at a festival shortly after I sold it and asked him if he still played his Wynn. He told me his Grandson plays it now and then. John is a nice fellow.