PDA

View Full Version : Sanford no. 10

James Sanford
Aug-10-2010, 9:42pm
I continue the process of learning to build. This is my no. 10 and it is the best sounding instrument I have produced. It is a hybrid design as you can tell but the biggest distinction I made in this one was to move the bridge and soundholes up the body toward the fingerboard. The air chamber volume is larger than normal as well. It has killer G, D and A but E is a little muted. May need to adjust nut and bridge a bit.

Top is red spruce, back is maple, fingerboard is flat ebony.

I am learning to tap tune and have recorded all the information for this one as I built it so I at least have a starting point for the next one.

I will post pictures of the finish later as I am doing my first hand rubbed stain.

Thanks again to all on the cafe who have helped me.

Life Is Good
Aug-11-2010, 12:15am
It looks like the little chicken hawk on Foxhorn Leghorn. "I say, I say don't call me chicken!"

Bill Snyder
Aug-11-2010, 8:02am
James it looks like you have been influenced just a bit by some of Hans Brentrup's work.
You certainly have advanced considerably from the first instrument you posted a few years back. Good for you.
I look forward to seeing it with finish on it.

JEStanek
Aug-11-2010, 8:13am
That looks really cool. I also look forward to seeing it finished.

Jamie

Ed Goist
Aug-11-2010, 9:09am
Very cool!

James Sanford
Aug-11-2010, 11:08am
James it looks like you have been influenced just a bit by some of Hans Brentrup's work.
You certainly have advanced considerably from the first instrument you posted a few years back. Good for you.
I look forward to seeing it with finish on it.

Bill,

Han's influence is certainly obvious. I am impressed with his Stealth design and guess it shows in this instrument. You are correct about progressing, if I knew then what I know now those first few efforts would have remained largely unknown to the outside world but too late to change that now. Its all a part of learning to do something at the age of 62 (then) and where I am now at 65.

Thanks for your encouraging words.

James Sanford
Aug-11-2010, 12:46pm
I am adding photos of the finished mandolin.

Steve Sorensen
Aug-19-2010, 8:24pm
There is A LOT to like about this build. Very interesting and attractive. A little touch - I love the Swan "S" logo. Guess I really appreciate a sweet lookin' "S"
Steve

Jake Wildwood
Aug-20-2010, 9:44pm
Interesting bridge placement with the shift forward... I've always thought that some of the killer tone involved in the domed-top Portuguese instruments was due to the bridge shifted forward allowing the lower part of the body to get more "open space" drive.

Also -- nice job!