PDA

View Full Version : Winfield 2010

Dave Schimming
Aug-09-2010, 3:12pm
The Walnut Valley Festival & land rush is going to be here before we know it. Looking forward to my annual extended stay, just hope this heat cell can break by labor day which will make it much easier for establishing camp (Camp Brigadoon). Also no flooding (2008) or the threat of flooding (2009) would be nice.

des mando
Aug-09-2010, 4:01pm
didnt make it last year. 1st time in 30 years, cleaning and packing the trailer right now are we there yet? are we there yet?

Coy Wylie
Aug-25-2010, 4:13pm
I have really bad case of Winfielditis right now. I can barely wait. For me it seems to get better and better every year, good friends good food and good tunes... very little sleep.

Martin
Aug-26-2010, 7:37pm
I'm got there today!

Coy Wylie
Aug-27-2010, 1:35pm
That's just not fair! What's it like to go two weeks early? I'm really curious.

Martin
Aug-28-2010, 3:13pm
Pretty quiet for the most part. Not to many jams going on. Festival organizers are busy getting ready. I live in Wichita so it's easy for me to get here and I get a lot of vacation now. I have to go back and work a couple of days before Labor Day but then I'm here till it's over. From Labor day on it gets pretty busy a lot more jamming going on. Then landrush and we get to build our camp again.
Hope you can make it here soon as you like!

Coy Wylie
Sep-07-2010, 4:27pm
I'm coming up on Saturday. I read this today, "It takes a year to get over Winfield and a Winfield to get over a year." That's about says it.

Mike Snyder
Sep-07-2010, 6:03pm
I think I saw Martin walking down the lane about 11 last night. Jams all over, and the rain this morning has cooled the air real good.
Mike Black had a new A5 last night that was awesome. Played Celtic, blues, bgrass and old timey all at one jam, should have broke out some jazz, just to round it out. Rain in the forecast, tropical moisture pushing up from the gulf. The problem with two weeks of Winfield is, most definitely, sore fingers. Must soldier on!

Dave Schimming
Sep-07-2010, 10:56pm
Hang in there Mike, headed back down tomorrow afternoon.

Shelby Eicher
Sep-07-2010, 11:33pm
I'm heading up on Monday. Swing jams! My son (Isaac Eicher) is entering the mandolin contest. He won it in 2006 and he won Rockygrass this year. Please come by and listen him. He's a real talent if I may say.
Shelby Eicher
Education Director/National Fiddler Hall Of Fame

Jessbusenitz
Sep-08-2010, 11:51am
I've never been there before, even though it's less than 50 miles away. What it like? Is it worth the 35 $ for 1 day?

Joe Mendel
Sep-08-2010, 12:06pm
Jess, in a word, YES. If I were that close I would never miss it. I would probably buy the weekend pass and go everyday.

Mike Snyder
Sep-08-2010, 12:23pm
Better go online walnutvalleyfestival to see what you're getting for your money. Lots of jamband music, almost no bluegrass, one Irish stringband, and the Wilders (who are NOT to be missed). Mandolin contest on Friday @ one, fiddle @ 6. Campground music out the wazoo. High points include Fiddlefest every night @ midnight, Carp Camp (Celtic/contra en masse), Front Porch Radio, and Stage 5.
The festival gets wild and drunken, at times. It's very crowded camping. The number of people outstrips the size of the venue (county fairgrounds) during the fesitival proper. There is no mid-west fest that can touch Winfield for variety of music, on stage and off. Alot of my hardcore bluegrass friends go to Starvey Creek rather than fight the crowds and the non-bluegrass nature of the thing.
Several camps feature old-time music, which is what draws me, year after year. Shelby and the swing crowd will be wailing. There was a gospel bluegrass tent last year. Larrivee had mandos out to play last year, Weber was absent. No telling who will show up.

Jessbusenitz
Sep-08-2010, 12:48pm
I wanted to go to the Claremore Fest. http://www.claremore.org/page2.aspx in OK. but got busy this weekend. I'm more of a Bluegrass, Old-time, and gospel fan, but I should come sometime just to say I did.

Jim Hilburn
Sep-08-2010, 1:01pm
I just heard land rush is postponed like last year because they're expecting a lot of rain. Are they just being cautious or is there any flooding?

Jessbusenitz
Sep-08-2010, 2:18pm
They have a flood warning for SE Ks, but so far there's been no rain. At least by Wichita.

Martin
Sep-08-2010, 8:22pm
Hey Mike been jamming every day till after midnight, see you soon.
If you've never been to Winfield the $35.00 is well worth what you get. I pay that much or more for one band or concert alot of times. There is absolutely music being played here 24 hours a day during the fest and if you can't find something you like I'd say you have a serious problem. If you're hardcore and think that all music has to adhere to narrow guide lines then you're probably in the wrong place.
As far as camping goes there are easier places to go camping and for the first time camper it can be kinda overwhelming but there are alot of people that can explain the ins and outs of getting the area you want, electricity etc.
Camping in Kansas in a flood plain is never a safe bet but it's an experience you will never forget.
The year we had to go to Winfield lake becase of the flooding was one of those experiences so when your given lemons we decided to make lemonade and make the best of it.
Hope you all have a good time.

Shelby Eicher
Sep-08-2010, 8:53pm
Rain is just coming into Tulsa hard and heavy. It looks like it's going to track a little to the east of Winfield! We'll know more tomorrow.

Jim Hilburn
Sep-09-2010, 9:31am
Looks like the big rain went south and east of Winfield. Just a drizzle there.

jiminkansas
Sep-09-2010, 12:14pm
I'm going to the mandolin workshop Wednesday, taught by Anthony Hannigan. Also, Anthony's band, Hickory Project, is playing there, I'm really looking forward to hearing them. See you in the Pecan Grove!
Jim