PDA

View Full Version : My first build, a mandola

McCandolin
Aug-09-2010, 10:11am
I've had this one put together for about a year now, I'm still fiddling around with it, but I think its finished enough to post:

http://cmccanndesign.com/images/_dola.png

Thanks to everyone who helps out with building advice around the forums and thanks to Brian Dean for the great tail piece!

F-2 Dave
Aug-09-2010, 12:33pm
Looks really nice. Love the knot in the back. How wide is the fretboard at the nut?

Ed Goist
Aug-09-2010, 12:41pm
Wow! Awesome. Love the grain, the knot in the back and your fantastic soundhole design. Sweet!

Bill Snyder
Aug-11-2010, 8:05am
It looks good. The sound holes are attractive. Some bigger photos would be nice and perhaps some details such as scale length you went with and wood species.

Dick Hutchings
Aug-11-2010, 9:45am
I like it. Pick us a tune on it!

McCandolin
Aug-18-2010, 12:56pm
I must say, I'm a bit audio-shy as my chops aren't where I'd like them to be, maybe I'll record something if i get into a good groove one day.

The top is cedar a-la orcas islands, the ribs and back are walnut and the rest is macassar ebony. The knot wasn't visible before I started carving, I decided just to leave it and hope it doesn't leave me with an oddly placed sound-port. I'll break out a ruler and check the dimensions sometime this week, I can't remember them off the top of my head.

Thanks!

James Sanford
Aug-18-2010, 1:05pm
Very nice job. Keep at it.

Will look forward to hearing sound clip when you do it.