PDA

View Full Version : Are you on MySpace?

Ptarmi
Aug-08-2010, 4:41pm
If you are on MySpace, you might like to link up with this one:

Tenor Guitar (http://www.myspace.com/tenortone)

Cheers
Dick

catmandu2
Aug-19-2010, 1:04pm
Friendly message sent, Dick ;)

If you haven't already, check this out: http://www.theguitarguy.com/songs.htm

...has been invaluable to me as a singer/TB-TG-ist.

fredfrank
Aug-19-2010, 6:22pm
Myspace is old news. Facebook is where it's at! =^)

journeybear
Aug-19-2010, 10:43pm
Well, sure, if you want to blab endlessly about what you do or think and read what all your "friends" and their friends and their friends and so on are doing or thinking and want to comment on their comments about your comments and gossip, gossip, gossip, and aren't on twitter - well, sure. On the other hand, if you want to have something resembling a website where you can upload your videos and ten songs and write a blog or two or twenty, there is still myspace. (http://www.myspace.com/mandolinsteve9)

In case you couldn't tell, I have both, and have very different uses and purposes for and feelings about each. I have a good number of respected musicians as my myspace friends, and it took a while to build that up, and I would NEVER subject them to the twaddle that constitutes 90% or more of what passes for conversation on facebook. I don't know why this is the way it is, and maybe this is just how these evolved for me, but that's how it looks to me.

By the way, let me just say this about fashion. I don't remember which wag defined it thusly, but I love it: Fashion is that which one wouldn't be caught dead wearing next year. ;) If that isn't exemplary of useless ephemeral superficiality, I don't know what is. :whistling:

fredfrank
Aug-20-2010, 8:00am
Hey, Journey -- I was only kidding around. But here's a bit of news: did you know Mandolin Cafe has a facebook page? http://www.facebook.com/#!/mandocafe

I used to have a myspace when our band was working. We're in a kind of an evolution now, so I've been waiting for a more permanent version and will no doubt put up a myspace page for them at that time. You are right about it being an economical way to have a web page for your group.

I try not to get into the mindless chatter on facebook, but use it to keep up with family and friends' activities. I have also put up a band page there to promote shows as they come up. It's a good way to let your fan base know where you'll be in a timely manner. Facebook, as you probably know, sends out news feeds to your fans, whereas myspace does not.

journeybear
Aug-20-2010, 8:09am
Whew! Oh, good, glad to hear it. As with all things computer-oriented, garbage in, garbage out, ;) and it's best to be selective. I tend to skip over much of what pops up on my facebook page, and scan for the people and topics I care about. And this is with just 81 friends. I can only imagine (with horror) what it must be like for people who have 100s or 1000s of friends, as some of my musician friends do. :disbelief: There are some people I know who prefer to communicate via this method, and in order to keep in touch I have to participate in it. But sometimes I feel like I'm just eavesdropping on people just running their mouths, rather than someone talking with me. :(

Also, it is true that facebook is better than myspace at disseminating news such as gig announcements, partly because of the way it's set up, partly because it gets more traffic. I use bot, and while I prefer myspace, as the announcements are in one dedicated area and serve as a good record of the band's activity, the key thing is maximization of broadcasting, which facebook offers, at this time. I can't help feeling that something else will appear in a year or two that everyone will turn to instead, and then we'l have to go through the adjustment period all over again. :))

I didn't know the Café was on facebook. I'll have to take a look. Gotta admit, though, I'm fine with the way things are here. And I'd sure miss the smilies. :mandosmiley:

catmandu2
Aug-20-2010, 3:39pm
Hey Dick-

I see that ASS are among your "friends." Watch-out!...those guys and gals are naughty ;) (but they are a riot playing live--recommended).

Myspace is old news. Facebook is where it's at! =^)
Well, Herman Poole Blount didn't say "Book is the Look," now did he?... Clearly, if he were on the earth today he'd be a Myspace user.

fredfrank
Aug-21-2010, 8:54am

Well, Herman Poole Blount didn't say "Book is the Look," now did he?... Clearly, if he were on the earth today he'd be a Myspace user.

He also changed his name to Sun Ra and claimed he was not of this earth. What can we derive from that? Clearly, HisSpace is not anywhere near the internet!

journeybear
Aug-21-2010, 9:44am
He WAS not of this earth; he WAS from space. Space is the place ... space is the place ...

But you never know. He might have changed that, evolving ... face is the space ... face is the space ...

catmandu2
Aug-21-2010, 12:06pm
He also changed his name to Sun Ra and claimed he was not of this earth. What can we derive from that? !
I think he was born Le Sony'r Ra from Saturn...but there was a mix-up and he was erroneously attributed the name H. P. Blount from Birmingham.

But you never know. He might have changed that, evolving ... face is the space ... face is the space ...
I doubt it.

journeybear
Aug-21-2010, 10:25pm
All right, then ... space is the face ... space is the face ... face is the grace ... grace is the pace ... pace is the trace ... trace is the lace ... lace is the mace ... mace in the face ... space is the place ... :cool:

SjVij0swBds

QVBBjG8P9IM

9NJ2oXwWEvw

djBKQNVj5Cc

mandroid
Aug-24-2010, 1:44pm
used to be .. 'step back, jack, you're in my space', dude ..

before My space became .. a data mine .. where you volunteer to give up your privacy.