PDA

View Full Version : I miss the Dude

Chip Booth
Aug-05-2010, 4:39pm
I had the chance to see the Punch Brothers a few nights ago, opening for Steve Martin with the Steep Canyon Rangers. I am an unabashed PB fan, but still, I have seen and enjoyed SCR and was really looking forward to the headliner, However, the contrast between the two acts was so strong that I was barely able to enjoy the Steve Martin part of the show. The Punch Brothers have, in my opinion, really found a new level of performance with acoustic instruments, and they never fail to top themsleves.

Anyway, one thing that stands out to me about the last few performances of theirs I have seen is that I really miss the sound of Thile playing his Dude. The Loar sounds great by itself, and I had the chance to hear him play a few a tunes on it acoustically after a show, but I really prefer the sound of the Dude in the band mix. It seemed fuller, with more authority and a lot more interest going on in the top end. I also loved the fact that a unique performer played a unique instrument, but what I really miss is the tone!

Come on Chris, bring back the Dude!

Ken_P
Aug-05-2010, 5:07pm
I have to say I agree. I'm a huge fan of Chris and Punch Brothers, but I really miss the smoother, sweeter sound he used to pull out of the Dude. Now, I don't know how much of this is the instrument and how much is his playing - I'm sure whatever differences in tone there are are quite deliberate in either case. I'm pretty sure the last thing he recorded with the Dude was either the first Punch Brothers album, or the album with Edgar Meyer, and the range of tone he gets on those recording is tremendous. He sounds good on the latest release, but not (IMHO) as good as either of those other two.

Rob Fowler
Aug-05-2010, 5:43pm
I would also have to say I agree. Ken, I think he's actually playing his loar on the Thile/Meyer recording. I too preferred the sound of his dude but I think since he's had the loar it's changed the way he is playing a bit, in an even better way...if that's possible! I got to talk with him about his loar after a show the Punch Brothers played here in Arcata and he certainly thinks its a better mandolin than the dude. He sure loves to talk mandolins! I think he has a much brighter and lighter sound to his playing now with his loar which some might prefer......

Cheers!

Chris Biorkman
Aug-05-2010, 7:16pm
Totally agree.

Tony Sz
Aug-05-2010, 7:39pm
When Wayne Benson gave up his Tucker for his '25 Fern, I missed the thicker, fatter tone he got from the Tucker........but I got over it. Benson sounds good as ever to me now. I don't know, maybe he and the Fern took a while to adjust to each other, who knows. (I still like the tone he pulled from that Tucker)

MandoNicity
Aug-05-2010, 8:19pm
Doh! When I saw this thread heading I thought you were lamenting about the Big Lebowski! ;)

JR

re simmers
Aug-05-2010, 9:21pm
I thought this was about the "Dude" that used to be on the Dell commercials.

What happended to him, anyhow?

Bob

Mike Scott
Aug-06-2010, 10:56am
Doh! When I saw this thread heading I thought you were lamenting about the Big Lebowski! ;)

JR

Shoot! Me too.

Austin Koerner
Aug-06-2010, 9:56pm
I would also have to say I agree. Ken, I think he's actually playing his loar on the Thile/Meyer recording. I too preferred the sound of his dude but I think since he's had the loar it's changed the way he is playing a bit, in an even better way...if that's possible! I got to talk with him about his loar after a show the Punch Brothers played here in Arcata and he certainly thinks its a better mandolin than the dude. He sure loves to talk mandolins! I think he has a much brighter and lighter sound to his playing now with his loar which some might prefer......

Cheers!

Did he really play the Loar when he recorded with Edgar? It sounds like it, but I thought I remember him telling me he used his Dude. Hm...

BradKlein
Aug-06-2010, 10:51pm
I recently sat, pretty much knee to knee with CT playing the Loar, and it was certainly a mando highlight of my year. Truly wonderful tone, and the instrument seems to sound better and better from what I've been able to hear over the past year or more. Chris says he's still adjusting, learning to work with the Loar. Andy Statman was playing his Kimble, a complete contrast in tone, and not just due to the make of the mandolins. I can't honestly say that I miss the Dudenbostel, although I've had the chance to hear both in some of the best possible circumstances. (no disrespect of course to Lynn, or the wonderful instruments that he produces)