PDA

View Full Version : Very early 1899 Gibson A at Gruhn

Goodin
Aug-05-2010, 1:20pm
I'm headed over to Nashville tomorrow for work...think I'll drop in and play it! Dan B., have you seen this one?

c1899, VG++, original Orville label, fancy early peghead shape, abalone soundhole rosette, homemade wood HC......$22000

http://www.gruhn.com/

Goodin
Aug-05-2010, 1:22pm
ps.. go to www.gruhn.com, click 'inventory' in the top left, go to 'mandolins and mandolin famly', and scroll to bottom. (there isnt a link to go directly to this mandolin)

mrmando
Aug-05-2010, 3:13pm
Or just click here (http://www.gruhn.com/photo/MF7804.jpg).

danb
Aug-05-2010, 3:25pm
Dan B., have you seen this one?

c1899, VG++, original Orville label, fancy early peghead shape, abalone soundhole rosette, homemade wood HC......$22000

Yep.. It's one of the interesting early early ones and probably made by Orville and not the factory. There are a few with that square label I have notes on that have Orville's signature & a date on as well... though when I spoke to them at Gruhn's I was told no signature on this label.

I love the peghead shape!

Jim Garber
Aug-05-2010, 4:28pm
MF7804 Orville Gibson A style (More photos...) , c1899, VG++, original Orville label, fancy early peghead shape, abalone soundhole rosette, homemade wood HC......$22000

Yikes... did OG not believe in pickguards?

barney 59
Aug-05-2010, 8:46pm
I've seen these before and always figured they were really early -like pre 1898 patent when Orville was cutting up the bedroom set--after that there were the really pretty ones with the inlayed butterflies and such and they would have to have been built pre 1902/03 before Gibson Co. went into production. Wow 22k! I guess I missed the boat.

Jim Garber
Aug-05-2010, 9:07pm
I dunno... I have a feeling it is more the collectability than the playability / history more than music.

barney 59
Aug-05-2010, 11:13pm
Without a doubt the collectability. I have played one once and it was pretty clunky. It's just that I have also seen a couple for sale and wasn't interested at maybe $1500 or $2000 --it's like those $5000 Loars from the 70's --I was standing on the dock but the ship sailed without me....

woodwizard
Aug-05-2010, 11:52pm
That sure does look like the sketch of the one on his patent dated 1898. Same peg head too

Chuck Naill
Aug-06-2010, 8:23am
Without a doubt the collectability. I have played one once and it was pretty clunky. It's just that I have also seen a couple for sale and wasn't interested at maybe $1500 or $2000 --it's like those $5000 Loars from the 70's --I was standing on the dock but the ship sailed without me....

More like you were standing on the dock but unaware there was a ship anchored...LOL!!!

chuck

Jim Garber
Aug-06-2010, 9:50am
For historical purposes...

I would love to see a closeup of the headstock and the label. It looks like the lable is different than the later Orville/lyre one.

Goodin
Aug-10-2010, 7:32am
i stopped by Gruhn's last friday and had a look at this mandolin. what grabbed my attention first off was how wide the body is. It is about twice as thick as the later designs. it is hard to see this in the pictures. The neck joins at the 9th fret so the neck is very short. The headstock is angled back 30 degrees or so. the strings were slack and they werent willing to tune it because some of the tuner knobs had hairline cracks and they were afraid they would break. i have never seen tuners like that on a mandolin before and i am sure they are irreplaceable. it was such a pleasure to hold and examine this fascinating historical piece!

Jim Garber
Aug-10-2010, 8:09am
I can't be too sure but those tuners look like ones that were common at that time but usually found on higher end bowlbacks. Weymanns often had the gear plate covers on the front. You are right, tho that they would be hard to replace.

The neck joins at the 9th fret but it also looks like the button is pretty tall. As I said, more of a collectible and historical object than a playing instrument, but for that price...

JeffD
Aug-10-2010, 12:18pm
The headstock shows some budding scroll obsession.