PDA

View Full Version : Bowlback signed by Big Mon in Seattle?

Tom Humphreys
Aug-04-2010, 10:02pm
Not mine, NFI, no opinion on legitimacy, just thought I'd let the Cafe Folks know!
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/msg/1881490820.html

brunello97
Aug-04-2010, 10:07pm
I wouldn't be able to tell Bill Monroe's signature from Larry Monroe's, but I really want this to be true. I've always had a thing for Puglisi mandolins.

Mick

barney 59
Aug-05-2010, 8:49pm
So someone knows-- is this Bill's ?

Ray(T)
Aug-06-2010, 4:07am
Compare it with this one - http://www.mandolinarchive.com/perl/show_mando.pl?3045 - the signatures look the same to me. Sadly/fortunately the one in the archive no longer has the signature.
Ray

Tom Humphreys
Aug-06-2010, 1:48pm
I wrote the seller (in my 'hood) asking if he can provide any provenance.

bratsche
Aug-06-2010, 3:09pm
Looks like it could be a nice mando, obviously needs a new bridge. But I truly don't get the autograph thing. Why would anyone want a bluegrass guy's auto on a bowlback? An F-style, sure, if celebrity signatures are your thing... but a bowlback?

If I ever bought something like that, I'd have to know for sure that I could remove Bill's or Larry's (or whomever's) John Hancock from the finish, as to me it looks very out-of-place and detracting on the wrong kind of instrument for the signer's genre. (Just my opinion, I'm not asking for flames, here.)

bratsche

jim simpson
Aug-06-2010, 6:15pm
Looks like it could be a nice mando, obviously needs a new bridge. But I truly don't get the autograph thing. Why would anyone want a bluegrass guy's auto on a bowlback? An F-style, sure, if celebrity signatures are your thing... but a bowlback?

If I ever bought something like that, I'd have to know for sure that I could remove Bill's or Larry's (or whomever's) John Hancock from the finish, as to me it looks very out-of-place and detracting on the wrong kind of instrument for the signer's genre. (Just my opinion, I'm not asking for flames, here.)

bratsche

bratsche,
I must agree with you regarding the wrong type of mandolin for Bill to sign. I have photos autographed by Bill from the early 90's. They look shakier than the one on the bowlback. I wonder when the autograph was obtained?
I've never had the impulse to have autographs on my instruments. I've had plenty of opportunities but no interest.