AlanN
Aug-04-2010, 9:03pm
Too wise...

AlanN
Aug-04-2010, 9:44pm
Why stop now?

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-05-2010, 1:29am
Alan - Many thanks for posting these clips. That's a line-up i'd like to see performing over here - maybe a prayer or two ?,
Ivan:)

Larry S Sherman
Aug-06-2010, 7:57pm
Amazing stuff! And so fast!

I think this is from the same special?

Larry

re simmers
Aug-06-2010, 8:41pm
Great stuff. Sam is either not challenged by ANYTHING or he hides it very well. No matter what Sam is playing, he's rockin' back & forth, smilin', lookin' around.......what a gift!

Bob

SternART
Aug-06-2010, 11:19pm
So young......that looks like about the mid 80's.......and with all the years since to practice they are even better now!

JimRichter
Aug-19-2010, 8:44pm
That's an excellent show. It was the Lonesome Pine Special (PBS out of Kentucky) circa 1988. I taped it back then and recently transferred to DVD. Early in the show, Sam plays Jethro's 2 point mandolin (it was shortly after Jethro died), on a very Jethro-approved version of Tennessee Wagonner. Sam and Mike do the requisite Ralph's Banjo Special. Sam plays slide National mandolin. Great show and very influential on me way back when.

Lonesome Pine Special had a variety of great acts: from the SubDudes, to New Grass Revival, Peter Rowan, a bluegrass band consisting of a very young Alison Krauss/Tony Rice/David Grisman/Jerry Douglas, the first TV appearance (that I'm aware of) of the Flecktones (w/ Howard Levy). I watched that show as religiously as Austin City Limits.

Dan Hoover
Aug-20-2010, 5:59am
that was cool..when's the reunion???

SternART
Aug-20-2010, 10:20am
Maybe at a future Mandolin Symposium

Onesound
Aug-29-2010, 11:19am
So young......that looks like about the mid 80's.......and with all the years since to practice they are even better now!

Weren't we all!

Mid '80s is about right ('86 I think) I too, have that on videotape. What a wonderful show it is. If only PBS would bring back those kind of acts rather than most of the stuff they now have on Austin City Limits (etc)...
...and Fire on the Mountain with David Holt (on TNN). Boy, that show was inspiration for a lifetime. :)