PDA

View Full Version : My new Passernig A5 (#53)

Psyberbilly
Aug-03-2010, 9:18pm
This is the mandolin I bought several weeks ago at Fiddler's Green in Austin . Although not brand new , it was built in '09 and was gently "pre-owned" by Clay Levitt. Top is red spruce w/maple binding , back is sugar maple.Radiused ebony fingerboard. Oil varnish,french polish on the body , shellac on the neck . It is certainly the nicest instrument I have ever owned . I feel fortunate to have become it's caretaker , thanks for another job well done Stephan !

Motownmando
Aug-03-2010, 10:09pm
Hope you enjoy it! I have #58 and totally love it.

Skip Kelley
Aug-04-2010, 7:15am
Congratulations! That is a great looking mandolin! I love the burst and especially the binding!

Psyberbilly
Aug-04-2010, 11:38am
Thanks y'all ! I grow to appreciate it more every day . It has helped re-enforce my resolve to work harder in order to hopefully one day be as good as it is .

crazymandolinist
Aug-04-2010, 12:04pm
Those pics are amazing. Great mandolin as well. It has a really warm, classic look.

Psyberbilly
Aug-04-2010, 4:38pm
It is not fancy at all , really kind of subdued , only inlays are basic position dots and the name on the peghead. That being said I like the way that it doesn't distract from the attention Stephan obviously pays to detail . Holding this mandolin in one hand and a Collings MT in the other , this one is noticeably lighter , but it makes no concessions to them when it comes to tone and it wins hands down in the volume department . It kind of reminds me of one of those " sleeper " muscle cars , the one with the stock wheels and tires , factory paint , no big cowl inductions , etc , that happens to be one of the fastest in the neighborhood . I have always been kind of partial to more " go " than " show " . Of course , then I see and play Ben's Ellis which has BOTH in perfect measure ! All in all , I know I am much happier than I would be with a mandolin that was twice as ornate but sounded half as good.

tburcham
Aug-04-2010, 6:41pm
Congrats on the Passernig!

I love the design of his fiddle-inspired prototype currently being offered by Smokey Mountain guitars; but to play that one in a Jam, you'd better be the best picker there...cause you're certainly not going to blend in (-: While I haven't had the opportunity to play one of his creations, I have only heard/read outstanding reports on the tone and volume of his mandolins.

pjlama
Aug-04-2010, 10:59pm
Nice clean mando, I especially like the lack of headstock adornment.

Chuck Naill
Aug-05-2010, 6:01am
Very nice, he does very good work. Enjoy!!

Psyberbilly
Aug-05-2010, 9:58am
Thanks ! I looked at your website for the m/c shop , you have some great bikes . A few years ago the g/f and I came through on my '94 Springer and stayed at the Travelodge Inn @ 1 block east of you on the other side of Central for 3 or 4 days.Last day there we rode up to Sandia peak , through Madrid ( stumbled into the filming of "Wild Hogs" accidentally ) , up through Santa Fe , over through Los Alamos and the Jemez Mtns . When we got back a little after dark , the whole end of the block was barricaded of , fire trucks all over ( including the parking lot of our motel )
and we were worried that we might be heading back to Austin with only the clothes on our back ! Fortunately ( for us! ) it was the McDonalds , which they were remodeling , that had caught fire . In 1965 my family moved to Albuquerque , and we spent @ a month at what was at the time a Holiday Inn right across the street from you location, you are bringing back memories !

Psyberbilly
Aug-05-2010, 10:02am
Previous post was for pjlama

pheffernan
Oct-12-2014, 10:46am
Inspired by the tone of my Passernig (#54), I went exploring through the archives and discovered this thread about its sister. See the family resemblance?

My search also led to a number of videos of Stefan's A5. The first one I'm pretty confident is #53, formerly owned by Clay Leavitt at Fiddler's Green, and the other two videos come from the same shop that (along with Smoky Mountain Guitars) carries Stefan's instruments.

adEiFNqdoFU

XyiMpmsMy_0

i-zE4GyGN-w

I'm not saying that my Passernig makes me sound as good as Billy Bright. It sure does inspire me to try.

Josh Levine
Oct-12-2014, 1:39pm
Damn Billy destroys that song. All of those Passernigs sound outstanding. So many mandos, so little time.

BBarton
Oct-13-2014, 8:54am
Nice one, Psyberbilly -- good catch! It looks similar to mine (#62, 2011; red spruce top, red maple b & s), except the sunburst on mine is lighter and the headstock is also bound in maple like the body. 'Bought it from a friend in TX a couple of years ago. I play mainly Celtic and old-time type music and find it really nice for the genre -- warm and mellow, rich clear tone, and good note separation across the board makes it a great melody instrument (IMHO). 'Lovin' it!!

pheffernan
Oct-26-2014, 4:38pm
Would there be any interest in starting a Passernig social group?

pheffernan
Jan-28-2015, 4:10pm
Would there be any interest in starting a Passernig social group?

I answered my own question: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=295

jclover
Jan-28-2015, 9:17pm
Damn Billy destroys that song. All of those Passernigs sound outstanding. So many mandos, so little time.

Could not agree more. :mandosmiley:

eastKYmando
Jan-31-2015, 10:56am
I had the pleasure of playing a Passernig at Smokey Mountain Guitars, and it was by far my favorite mando in the shop, at the time. I really liked the playability, response and tone had plenty of depth and notes were clear. Great mandolin.