PDA

View Full Version : Lyon & Healy Style A mandola #1500

mrmando
Aug-03-2010, 1:53pm
Here's the newest hoss in the stable, courtesy of a Craigslist seller in Gulfport, Mississippi.
Missing the beautiful TPC. Spruce top is scratched up, but no cracks.
Bookmatched flame maple back and rims.
It's always nice to find such a beautiful and rare instrument, but it's far from perfect. Note the cracked headplate.
Scroll headstock was busted nearly all the way off and has been reglued. I have no idea what glue was used or how professional of a job this is. It looks like a functional, decent repair but not a beautiful one.
Transverse brace seems OK to my inexperienced fingers, but I'm not bringing this up to full tension until my man Duane can have a look at it. Appears to be a very slight dip in the top from this angle, so I want to make sure we're not facing any sinkage issues. I don't think this is the original bridge. It needs to be sanded down a bit to lower the action and improve the fit with the top.
Still has the "Lyon & Healy" label, not "Washburn," so we can say it's not later than 1923. And given the high serial number, it's probably not a real early instrument either. Tailpiece base does have the 1919 patent date. Maybe 1920 or 1921 for the instrument, I'd guess. Unlike the Style A mandolins, I don't think the design of the mandolas ever changed, did it? AFAIK they're all the same 15.75" scale length with symmetrical points.

This arrived without a case, but I thought perhaps when the Eastman replicas hit the market, perhaps a spare Eastman case could be had. I do have a nice vintage double fiddle case that I'm not using for fiddles ... perhaps with a little interior alteration it could be made into a mandola case. We'll see.

A much nicer Style A mandola went for $6K at Skinner's last fall. I paid a bargain-basement price for this one, but considering its condition it may not be worth a whole lot more than I gave for it. I do expect it'll be a nice player with a little work.

billhay4
Aug-03-2010, 1:57pm
Nice find, but that headstock is going to be a trick to get just right. I'm thinking your man, Duane, will be up to the job, but if he's not, I hope he admits it up front.
These are IMHO the most lovely instruments yet designed and are worth the time and money to get them back into good shape.
Enjoy!
Bill

mrmando
Aug-03-2010, 2:03pm
Duane is still working on fixing my Style C headstock. Maybe when I get it back from him I'll let him take a whack at this, if he thinks he can improve upon what's been done already. I would like to have a new headplate made eventually.

Duane showed me an A4 neck that he'd patched up so well you literally couldn't tell it had ever been cracked.

Jim Garber
Aug-03-2010, 8:31pm
Wow, nice score, Martin. My long scale Style A has the sad neck break when I bought it and I need to have it re-repaired correctly. I had it in playable condition for some time and it sounded amazing. To make you feel a little better, here is the neck of my mandolin.

F-2 Dave
Aug-03-2010, 8:39pm
Cool beans, Martin.
Yikes, Jim

Jim Garber
Aug-03-2010, 9:03pm
Yeah... I think the main problem with these is that vulcanized fibre that was discussed in depth on that other L&H thread. I am afraid that it may require a whole new neck but, given the sound quality of this instrument, might be worth the effort, tho resale value may have to suffer.

Starrshine
Aug-04-2010, 9:39am
Nice Score!!! Too bad about the head, but it looks nice. I noticed that the neck seems to be just one fret longer than my "C". My neck meets the body on the other side of the 10th fret. I don't think that I ever mentioned that I did get the original case with mine. The outside of it is not in great shape, but the inside velour(?) is perfect. Not sure how to restore it. It has bailing wire for a handle! I hope your luthier friend can fix this up, looking forward to seeing your "C".
Bob

mrmando
Jun-17-2011, 2:14pm
I was looking at the endnotes to Hubert's Washburn book, and he says the L&H Styles A, B, and C were numbered separately ... and furthermore, he says the mandolas and mandocellos also each had a separate series! Yipe — this mandola is No. 1500; does that mean there are at least 1,499 others? I've only seen two besides this one: Dawg's brown one and the one sold by Skinner (http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6720731) a few years back. That one was No. 2; I don't know the number on Grisman's. Somehow I think they must've skipped a few numbers between 2 and 1500...

P.S. Folk singer Jerry Rasmussen (http://www.jrasmussen.net/) says he owns a Lyon & Healy mandola ... although he doesn't say whether it's a Style A or a bowlback.

keef
Jul-02-2011, 3:57am
I was looking at the endnotes to Hubert's Washburn book, and he says the L&H Styles A, B, and C were numbered separately ... and furthermore, he says the mandolas and mandocellos also each had a separate series! Yipe — this mandola is No. 1500; does that mean there are at least 1,499 others?

Martin, there certainly aren't anything close to 1,500 mandolas...When I listed L&H mandolin serial numbers for some time it became clear that there were double numbers - e.g. a mandocello and an A style mando with the same (very low) serial number - and I also concluded that the A, B and C styles were not numbered within the same sequence. That's all I can say - I think I sent Jim Garber a list of the mandos I had listed at the time, which is too small to unravel everything. Someone needs to pick this up and make sense out of it....

Jim Garber
Jul-02-2011, 11:37am
The thing I find amazing is how a company like L&H these days can have absolute amnesia about their history. I believe I contacted them years ago and all they are interested in is harps, with no clue as to their illustrious history. Same thing with Hammond organ. I found an accordion amp made by them and they have no info at all. Strange to me, but what do I know. This task is all left to us amateur and professional sleuths to carry on.

JeffD
Jul-02-2011, 12:15pm
The thing I find amazing is how a company like L&H these days can have absolute amnesia about their history. I believe I contacted them years ago and all they are interested in is harps, with no clue as to their illustrious history. .

No clue, and not much curiosity.

violmando
Jul-03-2011, 4:31pm
Marilynn Mair has a L & H dola, too...it's a beauty!