PDA

View Full Version : '82 Flatiron 2M-F

Maggie Jones
Aug-03-2010, 1:01pm
1982 Flatiron 2M-F by Backporch productions.

atetone
Aug-03-2010, 8:46pm
Now that is a rare mandolin. I don't think they made very many of those.

JEStanek
Aug-03-2010, 9:04pm
Very interesting, Maggie. Can you compare it's sound to other mandolins you have played?

Jamie

PS Welcome to the Cafe.

fatt-dad
Aug-03-2010, 10:08pm
this cross posting is making me thirsty.

f-d

fatt-dad
Aug-03-2010, 10:10pm
posted on one of the other two threads started on this mandolin:

Nobody else has one of these! It's quite unique. I've seen one before, but that was like once - if I recall correctly it was a listing on Craig's List in Hawaii! Yeah, I guess there may be others but the more usual is for the round hole version in either the 1, 2 or 3 series. I love your mandolin and the cool case is in great shape too! I'd love to hear how it sounds. I bet it's great!

Thanks for sharing your mandolin with us!

f-d

Maggie Jones
Aug-03-2010, 11:26pm
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me! I had a little pot bellied mandolin I bought in Rome when I was 18. (almost 40 years ago!) I picked it up and just started playing.It was injured by a bunch of over enthusistic kids in Nome back in the 70's. My little Flatiron of course has a different sound from the Italian one. Another brand of "richness" I guess. It's a lot easier to jam with especially doing fast cowboy tunes or playing "Wheels"!!! That fat bottom liked to slip. But both have the same problem for me:
I play with some LOUD folks, and since I play by ear, If I cant hear then I can't play! I had a little pick up put on it, and that helped. Mr. Ferguson told me that it shouldnt affect the Mandolins integrity or value.

sgarrity
Aug-03-2010, 11:50pm
I've seen a handful of these and played one. FWIW, they were all sunbursts. They are interesting little buggers........