PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Symposium Scholarship

Scott Tichenor
Feb-13-2004, 8:42am
To the mandolin community at large:

The fund-raising activities for the Mandolin Symposium with David Grisman, Mike Marshall, Chris Thile, Don Stiernberg, Mike Compton and Radim Zenkl is warming up. I hope everyone here can provide some support, assistance, encouragement for this. We're not looking to fill anyone's bank account for profits here. This is about sending some young folks with some talent/promise to a real once-in-a-lifetime experience they won't ever forget. If you spend a lot of time here on the board and would like to show your support for this resource, please consider chipping in a $5.00, $10.00 or $20.00 donation. I'd rather see lots of support in small amounts rather than a few large ones.

Best way is to sell a few CDs, strings, etc. on the classifieds and have the seller make the check payable to the Symposium Scholarship fund. I've already done some of that myself and will do so again this weekend. Won't you help?

Should have more information up in a bit on the home page about how to add your support. Thanks, and we promise to keep you updated on the progress.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-14-2004, 9:49am
Weeellllll... a whopping 63 views in 25 hours. I can tell this fund-raiser is going to be a barrel of fun. Appears I'll need to resort to bribes then.

As in the past, I'll offer to reset anyone's total message board posts to zero (or more if you'd like to be the top dog) for a measley $10.00 donation to the Symposium Scholarship Fund. Or, I'll change your board login/handle (remember "Pitbull"?--it was his request last time but this time it'll cost him--or someone chip in a donation for him, but he gets first dibs). The classifieds are also a good way to sell a single CD--come on, some of you have hundreds you aren't listening to--and have the check made out to the scholarship fund. We're not going away so help us get this ball rolling.

Anyone have an idea to help out?

Scotti Adams
Feb-14-2004, 10:40am
....Hey Scott..I just made a donation to the cause for $20....come on guys and gals...its a good thing...get off your Duffs(no pun intended)...and just do it....pssst Scott....one of those cool chord mugs would look good sittin on my computer table....hehe

Scott Tichenor
Feb-14-2004, 11:34am
Good man, Scotti. OK folks, Scotti got off his Duff, er, I mean BRW so it's time for the rest to get off yer Master Model, Gilchrist, Michael Kelly, Nugget, Phoenix, Smart, uh...Johnson, Brentrup, Anderson, Morgan Monroe, Collings, Monteleone, Smith, eBay no-name beater, Lyon & Healy, Old Wave, and #760 others (http://www.mandolincafe.com/builders.html). Scotti, send me your mailing address off-list and I'll see one of those mugs finds it's way to you.

Scotti Adams
Feb-15-2004, 8:08am
..ok..time to do a head count....please say "Aye"...if you have helped the cause... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

WJF
Feb-15-2004, 9:13am
Hi Scott,

I just posted a classified and sure wouldn't mind "paying" for it with a donation. Is there some means of getting money to the fund that doesn't include PayPal? I've read enough bad press about them not to want to trust them with my bank info. No big deal if the answer is no ... I'll shoot a check out Tuesday (PO is closed Monday)

Thanks!
Wayne

Scott Tichenor
Feb-15-2004, 9:21am
Hi Scott,

I just posted a classified and sure wouldn't mind "paying" for it with a donation. Is there some means of getting money to the fund that doesn't include PayPal? I've read enough bad press about them not to want to trust them with my bank info. No big deal if the answer is no ... I'll shoot a check out Tuesday (PO is closed Monday)

Thanks!
Wayne
Hi, Wayne. Donations can be made by check in a tax deductible fashion as follows:

Check payable to Worldview Cultural Performances

mail to:
Worldview Cultural Performances
POB 1616
Port Townsend, WA 98368

Worldview is a non-profit owned by Mike Marshall that is being used to hold funds for the Symposium Scholarship fund.

WJF
Feb-15-2004, 9:34am
Cool! Thanks Scott!! Check will be on it's way shortly!!!

Best,
Wayne

Christine W
Feb-18-2004, 4:08pm
AYE!
Just wanted to bring this back to the top, so people wouldn't forget.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-18-2004, 4:46pm
I'm curious if everyone's waiting to see if others will donate. Whilst a few of the prominent posting members on this board have made a small donation--and I emphasize that $5.00 from everyone is more important than one $500 donor--in general the participation has been almost non-existant from board members. Getting decent results from the classifieds users who see the value in that resource.

Here's a link (http://www.mandolincafe.com/symposium.html) but I'm going to look into adding it to the top of every page on this board.

Yoo-hoo... I'm not going away. I'm persistant. I will not rest until the deed in done so you'd best get rid of me now by helping out. Some of you acted like your arms and legs had been broken when the board is down. For all that...sniff...work this is my...sniff... reward?

mandolooter
Feb-18-2004, 5:04pm
Another 5 bucks in the pot. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Scott Tichenor
Feb-18-2004, 6:30pm
That's what I like! Mandolooter, you are da man, or gal. Whatever. If everyone that whined about the board being down gave $5.00 this thing would be OVER now... back to work on it though.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-18-2004, 7:04pm
Those of you chipping in, you rock! Someone had a good sense of humor and a big heart and just donated $23.25, just enough to push us over the top to $1,000.25. Thank you!

mandomick
Feb-18-2004, 7:06pm
You got me. Just donated the last $23.25 in my pay pal acct. It was that or send it to Dale for another one of those Long Hollow Softy mandolin straps in which case I'd have to buy another mandolin to hang on it. Does that mean that sometimes you save money by giving some away?

Brookside
Feb-18-2004, 7:29pm
Shhhhhhh! Don't tell my girlfriend that relentless nagging actually works.

I've used this board plenty since I signed up a couple of months ago. It's a small price to pay. (Can I have a mug?)

Stuart http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Brookside
Feb-18-2004, 7:40pm
Scott, have you ever considered a raffle of some sort? There are many ways you could go about it. Maybe acquire a mandolin through a (extremely generous) donor or discount purchase and sell raffle tickets at $10 or $20 with the proceeds going to the charity. Might help loosen those purse strings. Just a thought.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-18-2004, 7:46pm
Scott, have you ever considered a raffle of some sort? #There are many ways you could go about it. #Maybe acquire a mandolin through a (extremely generous) donor or discount purchase and sell raffle tickets at $10 or $20 with the proceeds going to the charity. #Might help loosen those purse strings. #Just a thought.
Yes, and have researched this in great detail in my state. Long story but we have strong laws against this under certain conditions. An added incentive to not have the raffle: my picking partner of 20+ years ran for state Attorney General and lost by 2,000 votes. I ran his web site and helped with his campaign some. The current AG likely knows who I am and would love to get me/him back before he runs for governor.

Scotti Adams
Feb-18-2004, 9:58pm
..excuse me....but....BUMP

Scott Tichenor
Feb-19-2004, 7:59am
Working on a few free one-year subscriptions to Mandolin Magazine for anyone donating $50 or more to the Symposium Scholarship fund. Anyone chipping that much in today I'll see you get a free one.

Remember... I'm not going away. I'm a bad dream. I'm persistant.

You guys stopping every morning at Starbucks to get a vanilla double-mocha skim latte with whip cream and springkles for $6.50, you can afford to chip in five bucks once, trust me!

Fred G
Feb-19-2004, 8:14am
$5 is in and it didn't hurt a bit

Joe F
Feb-19-2004, 8:40am
Count me in for $10.

Michael H Geimer
Feb-19-2004, 10:19am
Aye. One 'yuppie food stamp' on it's way. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Tom C
Feb-19-2004, 10:27am
Mine will be in the mail this weekend when I do the rest of my bills http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Scott Tichenor
Feb-19-2004, 4:16pm
Mandolin Magazine has just weighed in and offered a full year's subscription with the next four donations of $50 or more to the Symposium Scholarship. I'll assume these will be made via PayPal but if you're sending a check, contact me first and send it to my address and I'll forward it on and get the subscription taken care of.

PCypert
Feb-19-2004, 7:11pm
Hey
This may sound dumb, but had to ask. I'm going to put a beginner mandolin book/cd up on the classifieds with full proceeds going to the fund. How do I know when they have made a donation? Sorry if the answer is somewhere else.

Also, now that I finally have a hard mandolin case, do you still have any of those mandolin cafe bumper stickers? If so I'd love to get one. Thanks,
Paul

Scott Tichenor
Feb-19-2004, 7:52pm
If the payment is made electronically I can tell so let me know when they say they've paid. I have access to the account as I set it up, etc. and am helping those folks administer it. Yes, I have about 30 case stickers left. Need to get on the stick and order some more. Contact me off-board about this as I don't want everyone asking for them right now because they're just not in stock. They go fast.

Bluemando
Feb-19-2004, 8:02pm
Another $10 in the pot.
C'mon everybody got on the band wagon and donate. Think about all the resources this site has given us, and give a little in return.

wah
Feb-20-2004, 12:40pm
Scott,

Got the Garcia/Grisman in the mail last night. Most painless $50 I've ever donated to anything. Since I realized I won't have the time off to go to the symposium making a donation so someone else could go seemed like the right thing to do.

And for those wondering about the new Garcia/Grisman cd, get it when it comes out! It's everything you would want from these two. I listened to it three times last night and am still smiling. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Wayne

PhilGE
Feb-20-2004, 1:03pm
Back to the top we go... just added $10 to the cause.

-Phil

Gary S
Feb-20-2004, 4:16pm
I have 7 cds listed in the classifieds for $30, check to be made out to the symposium but no takers. Anyone interested?...Gary S

WSE
Feb-20-2004, 4:32pm
I'm in for $50. Please inform us of the lucky scholarship winners. What an honor to learn from the very best....

Scott Tichenor
Feb-23-2004, 7:53am
I'm in for $50. Please inform us of the lucky scholarship winners. What an honor to learn from the very best....
Bill, if you want one of those free subscriptions to Mandolin Magazine shoot me your address off-list to this email address (mandolincafe@yahoo.com). I can't believe no one has taken us up on this offer.

Come on folks. This stuff doesn't magically happen by you going out to the front page of the Cafe to see the new total.

Jim M.
Feb-23-2004, 11:01am
I put in $100 but I already subscribe. Hey, all you owners of a Master Model, Dude, Nugget, Monteleone, Brentrup, Smart, Heiden, etc., if you can afford one of those, you should be able to afford a sizeable donation for this worthy cause.

ShaneJ
Feb-23-2004, 6:14pm
I'm in for $50 & a subscription. #Looks like there are 3 left. #Come on guys & gals!

My only mando is an MK, so I know all you proud owners of POS Pac Rim wannabe Gibson mandolins can afford a donation -- you didn't spend much on your mando! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Scott Tichenor
Feb-23-2004, 6:41pm
Two of the original four subscriptions remaining. If those both go I promise to stop yapping out here. How about that for an incentive?

grsnovi
Feb-23-2004, 7:06pm
OK, I just kicked it by $50 but talk about painful. I don't eBay, nor do I PayPal (but I guess I do now).

How do I claim my subscription?

Scott Tichenor
Feb-23-2004, 7:17pm
One left. I'm reaching for the duct tape. Honest.

Feb-23-2004, 8:40pm
Hey Scott...don't know if this has been addressed already but is there anyway of telling our community about the kids who will benefit by going? Any bio or photo's of the kids? I'd think if we could put a face/name or a story with our donations more folks would be moved to chip in.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-23-2004, 9:09pm
Those are yet to be chosen by the committee which I understand to be David Grisman, Mike Marshall, Chris Thile and Steven Ruffo.

spud
Feb-23-2004, 9:44pm
Don't have much funds!
I'll send 15.00 in the mail tomorrow!....

It is a good cause!

---------
Boyd

LilCreekster
Feb-25-2004, 8:29pm
Better late than never... I keep forgetting (and I even put up the link on the page...) Baaaad webmaster LOL

$20 for now.

As far as who'll be getting them... the more money raised, the more scholarships will be availble... when it's all said & done I'll ask Ruffo about posting the info on the recipients.

and *up up up with the thread!*

Scott Tichenor
Feb-25-2004, 8:44pm
There is one remaining free one-year subscription to Mandolin Magazine with any donation of $50 or more. That's a $25.00 subscription to an ultra-cool magazine. Sure like to see that in the pot before I take off for Wintergrass in the morning.

And a big thanks to everyone for their support to date--but it's not too late! I have one more big surprise on this whole fund-raiser but will wait until next week to announce that.

Mandobar
Feb-25-2004, 9:03pm
scott, i just made a $50 donation via paypal. #if the last subscription to the mag is available i'll take it.

i put in $25 early on as i just had my first cafe classified ad sale. #thank you, sam!

mandolooter
Feb-25-2004, 9:11pm
Well it looks like Scott's/our goal of $2500.00 will be reached soon! I missed my latte one day last week and didn't get much done at work but no one noticed but me...BTW Im self-employed and the boss just said take a extra day or two off this week and have fun...Wintergrass here I come! All for a simple donation to a worthy cause.:)

Scott Tichenor
Feb-25-2004, 9:12pm
Thank you, Mandobar. Subscription on it's way. Well, as promised, you've heard the last of me regarding the Scholarship Fund here on the board so my pot and drum banging will cease from here on out, although the front page of the Cafe may still be fair game. Thanks again for your support and watch next week for another little event that's part of this.

OdnamNool
Mar-02-2004, 4:02am
Good grief...I just clicked on the address here on this thread, and went through a bunch of rigamarole and I don't think that my message was sent to you, Scott. I simply asked for the address of where I could send a donation... Thanks...

Scott Tichenor
Mar-02-2004, 7:48am
Check payable to: Worldview Cultural Performances

mail to:
Worldview Cultural Performances
POB 1616
Port Townsend, WA 98368

Thanks for your support, everyone. Ken Cartwright, the biggest heart in the mandolin world has donated a Breedlove mandolin that's going to be one of the last events of this mini-fundraiser (at least what we're doing) and we'll be offering it for sale on the classifieds here in the near future. 100% of the proceeds go to the scholarship fund.

grsnovi
Mar-02-2004, 7:12pm
Will there be a big PHOTO-OP with a smiling Scott T holding the 2' x 5' check facsimile and Chris, Mike and Dave happily accepting same check? With the legions of poor, unwashed, mando-genius recipients?

Scott, who is running your PR office these days?

And did you ever get all those Loar's out of the trunk of the rental car before you turned it back in at SEATAC?

OdnamNool
Mar-03-2004, 5:28am
Thank you, Scott.

I will contribute to the cause...

I had a talk with my friend tonight. We looked at each other in astonishment when trying to discribe music and what it does...Touches and moves a person in an extraordinary way...Universal language...all that stuff...Brain connections... Back to the caveman, the whales singing...blah, blah, blah...

What is my point, here? Oh yeah... Just that I think it is important to offer the musical opportunity to kids and/or...whoever... Mostly the kids. They are the future...

THEREFORE...I encourage all you kindly folks to contribute to this awesome opportunity for some kid to attend the mandolin symposiam.

Keep their dreams alive...

Scott Tichenor
Mar-05-2004, 12:10pm
Quick note to let everyone know I changed the Breedlove that's for sale to an auction starting at $1,000, and that's delivered. I'm not on top of Breedlove prices, that much is evident so I started it tad + high. Ken Cartwright said he'll throw in some wickedly cool Mandolin Evolution stickers to go with it. Those are essentially shown below but put on a bumper sticker with his music store. Need to work on this image in the future and move the banjo player back a few notches...

green_leaf
Mar-05-2004, 2:12pm
Count me in! Great cause. Out of curiosity, how much does it cost for each scholarship? Might be a fun target for those who are able to send one person.

Will

Scott Tichenor
Mar-05-2004, 4:18pm
Count me in! Great cause. Out of curiosity, how much does it cost for each scholarship? Might be a fun target for those who are able to send one person.

Will
Meaning you want to bid $1,000 on it?

To answer your question, I don't know the answer. Last I heard Stephen Ruffo thought it a good idea that the students pay something. This is a committee decision he'll make with Grisman, Marshall and Thile I suspect.

green_leaf
Mar-05-2004, 8:13pm
Yikes--no! Kinda like scratchin yer nose at an auction, better be careful! No, what I meant by "count me in" is that I made a donation to the fund.
$1,000 would be more than fair on that KO, and I have been thinking about a second axe. But what I have now is a Cascade, so I'll probably try something more different than what I already have. For those thinking about it though, Quartz KOs that I've played (two) are great! Arguably the best sound and playability you can get for that kind of money.

Will

OdnamNool
Mar-09-2004, 5:47am
Well...I suppose I shouldn't use this "forum" to schpeel...but here goes...

Maybe my heart is too fragile, but, one thing that has baffled me all my life is how unfair (guess I shouldn't say God) life is.

My point is that there are kazillions of kids with disabbilities, hardships, sickness...Why? It's not fair. It breaks my heart.

Therefore, while we're in the donation mode...also consider any donation to help a kid with a disabbility...M.S., Special Olympics...there are many, as you all know. Pick one that may have any personal meaning to you...You know what I mean...Or, maybe you don't! Has everyone's life been so smoothe? Have you ever known a friend with a sick child? Well...I have. And yes. It broke my heart. (again.) And again...And...oh.