PDA

View Full Version : The Loar Announces The LM-300 Mandolin

NewsFetcher
Jul-27-2010, 6:27pm
The Mandolin Cafe has posted news:
The Loar Announces The LM-300 Mandolin
http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001240.shtml

The Loar has announced the release of their first x-braced A-model mandolin, hand-carved by their team of expert luthiers at The Loar Hand Carved Workshop, the birthplace of the best-selling LM-400, 600 and 700 mandolins.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. The addition of images, videos, links and BB coding is turned OFF for this area so as not to compete with or interfere with the news item.

Dfyngravity
Jul-27-2010, 8:48pm
Very nice! This seems like another great bang for your buck. It is nice to see a great company recognize the need for more affordable great mandolins. And of course the "Loar A5" had to be there next step. I have been looking for my next bluegrass mandolin, and this may be just what the doctor ordered!

Ron McMillan
Jul-29-2010, 4:24am
The Loar has managed to engineer a serious market presence in what feels like rather a short time, and the LM-300 (along with the LM-400 that was only announced a short time ago) is another solid marketing step. Hand carved, good quality control, fine components - and prices that place them in direct competition with far inferior factory-made instruments. What's not to like about that? Budget restraints dictate that The Loars are likely candidates for my next mandolin, which will be an A model, and in a very short period the competition for my measly budget has become much more intense. I think it'll be an LM-400 for me, and soon.

br

f5joe
Jul-29-2010, 3:48pm
Admittedly, I've been taking a break from my mandos for a little while. I just can't get a head of steam up over "The Loar" products. They are reasonable instruments (yes, I've played quite a few) for the price ranges. I think my problem is "The Name".

Seems underhanded to me. Sorry, that's just how I see it. ymmv

J.Albert
Jul-29-2010, 5:39pm
"Admittedly, I've been taking a break from my mandos for a little while. I just can't get a head of steam up over "The Loar" products. They are reasonable instruments (yes, I've played quite a few) for the price ranges. I think my problem is "The Name".
Seems underhanded to me. Sorry, that's just how I see it."

I believe that Greg Rich somehow got control of the "Loar" name back when he was working at Gibson in the banjo department. Apparently Gibson wasn't interested at the time, so Rich trademarked it. He is either directly involved in the production of "The Loar" mandolins, or if not, that they are being made under his license.

Greg also got control of the "Recording King" name, again which may have been because Gibson wasn't interested in it. He's done very nice things with the Recording King line of banjos and guitars (the latter of which I've seen Big Joe Vest speak very highly).

Whether he did anything "underhanded" or not, I can't say. Greg doesn't seem to be a member here, although he does post frequently over at banjohangout.org.

- John

Potosimando
Jul-30-2010, 6:17pm
I assume the name is perfectly legal. Regardless, I would never buy a "The Loar", nor would I ever talk it up or encourage anyone to consider buying one, simply because of the name...it is hard for me to see the name as anything but underhanded piggy-backing and misleading, and it likely will prove to be more so as time goes on. Being legal doesn't mean that something is right.

And what a shame, as the instrument line gets high marks for tone and playability, relative to others in its price range and beyond. In my opinion an instrument ought to be able to stand on its own two feet without relying on marketing gimickry or slight-of-hand...but I guess we are more of a "marketing" culture than a "quality" culture (marketing first, quality second). Surely "The Loar" name will always be a problem for many, especially those of us who hold the name Loar in a special place.

Were I to sign this post "The David Grisman", "The Chris Thile", or whoever, then many would be P.O.'d and rightly so.

Mike Bunting
Jul-30-2010, 7:43pm
I assume the name is perfectly legal. Regardless, I would never buy a "The Loar", nor would I ever talk it up or encourage anyone to consider buying one, simply because of the name...it is hard for me to see the name as anything but underhanded piggy-backing and misleading, and it likely will prove to be more so as time goes on. Being legal doesn't mean that something is right.

And what a shame, as the instrument line gets high marks for tone and playability, relative to others in its price range and beyond. In my opinion an instrument ought to be able to stand on its own two feet without relying on marketing gimickry or slight-of-hand...but I guess we are more of a "marketing" culture than a "quality" culture (marketing first, quality second). Surely "The Loar" name will always be a problem for many, especially those of us who hold the name Loar in a special place.

Were I to sign this post "The David Grisman", "The Chris Thile", or whoever, then many would be P.O.'d and rightly so.
I totally agree, I thought it was a cheap marketing ploy when they first came out and still do.

The Mike

dkinyon31
Jul-30-2010, 10:08pm
I am very disappointed in the Loar Mandolins. I purchased a Loar LM-700-VS about 6 to 7 weeks ago. I went through the whole climate adjusting proccess like I have with my Martin guitars. In addition the instrument was never out of my home and what happens, a top crack running from the lower F-Hole developed about an inch long. I contacted my online dealer and explained the problem to him and I was told I was the second one with a 700 model this month that has developed a top crack in the SAME place. I was told this month alone, he has had 2 700s and 1 300 develop top cracks. My 700 was shipped back to him and at my dealers recommendation a Kentucky 1000 is now on it's way to me. Though the Loars look good, based on my experiece and what my dealer has seen, I would not recommend the Loar Mandolin.
Dave

f5joe
Jul-30-2010, 11:00pm
All the KM-1000's of the recent configuration I've seen have been excellent plus. Good luck dkinyon13.

Ron McMillan
Jul-31-2010, 2:14am
I always thought the name 'The Loar' was clumsy at best, but I am baffled by how it seems to have raised some hackles among mandolin lovers. Mr Loar's huge contribution to musical instrument acoustics is highly valued, and quite rightly so, but to raise his very name onto an untouchable saintly pedestal is quite scary, and rather reminiscent of personality cultism or even worse (in my own view), blinkered religious adulation.

I still think the name stinks - but now I am beginning to wonder if it might have a hint of irony to it. I hope so.

Of far greater interest to me is how the instruments under that brand are threatening to re-write the value-for-money expectations of budget-priced mandolins, and to permanently raise the quality bar at the same time.

br

f5joe
Jul-31-2010, 8:17am
blueron: Naw, Kentucky's already raised the bar. And, no ..... I don't own a Kentucky mandolin.

Ron McMillan
Jul-31-2010, 9:09am
blueron: Naw, Kentucky's already raised the bar. And, no ..... I don't own a Kentucky mandolin.

I'm delighted to hear it. The more the quality/price coefficient improves, the better off we all are. Do you mean with regards to the 900 model Kentucky, or do their lower-priced mandolins also represent a raising of the bar?

ron

Mike Bunting
Jul-31-2010, 3:14pm
I always thought the name 'The Loar' was clumsy at best, but I am baffled by how it seems to have raised some hackles among mandolin lovers. Mr Loar's huge contribution to musical instrument acoustics is highly valued, and quite rightly so, but to raise his very name onto an untouchable saintly pedestal is quite scary, and rather reminiscent of personality cultism or even worse (in my own view), blinkered religious adulation.
br
I think that you miss the point, my concern was not about the name used but the fact that it is a cheap marketing ploy. Loar generally refers to a fairly desirable Gibson mandolin of a particular era, not a "budget" priced mandolin.

Ed Goist
Jul-31-2010, 8:43pm
...snip...it is a cheap marketing ploy. Loar generally refers to a fairly desirable Gibson mandolin of a particular era, not a "budget" priced mandolin.

This is an excellent point and really not debatable. This is exactly why French winemakers (justifiably) are upset when American bulk wine producers call their wines Chablis, Burgundy, or Champagne based simply on style. When a product designation is hijacked like this it is clearly being done as a marketing ploy to 'piggy back' on the name and the beneficial reputation it has earned over decades (as with the Loar mandolin name) or centuries (as with the French wine regions mentioned).

f5joe
Aug-01-2010, 7:13am
This is an excellent point and really not debatable. This is exactly why French winemakers (justifiably) are upset when American bulk wine producers call their wines Chablis, Burgundy, or Champagne based simply on style. When a product designation is hijacked like this it is clearly being done as a marketing ploy to 'piggy back' on the name and the beneficial reputation it has earned over decades (as with the Loar mandolin name) or centuries (as with the French wine regions mentioned).

What he said!

bjewell
Aug-01-2010, 3:13pm
You can call them Frisbees for all I care but a decent mandolin at these prices rocks in my book. Don't like the name? Okay, then do what Bill did! ;- )

f5joe
Aug-01-2010, 8:22pm
You can call them Frisbees for all I care but a decent mandolin at these prices rocks in my book. Don't like the name? Okay, then do what Bill did! ;- )

Nice ..... or don't buy 'em. That's my choice.

Knucklehead
Aug-02-2010, 2:02am
I think The Loar products, especially the L600 mandolins are the "best" per dollar value among the lower priced F style mandolins.
I bought one from The Mandolin Store, and it's easily the loudest among several of my mandolins including two Gibsons. it's also one of the easiest to play with it's thicker and wider neck.

I've hear they may include a Gibson H5 mandola and K4 to their product line in the future; has anyone else heard this?

f5joe
Aug-02-2010, 6:07am
I've hear they may include a Gibson H5 mandola and K4 to their product line in the future; has anyone else heard this?

Gibson? They have NO shame. LOL!

captpat
Oct-29-2010, 6:04pm
I missed something. What did Bill do? I love my 600. Plays great for the price. I don't care if it's called a "car" or an "automobile". If it does what you're told it's going to do for the price you are paying, it's all good. A name is just a name.Everyone knows it's not a Gibson. So what? Anyone fooled by the supposed "marketing is an idiot.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Oct-30-2010, 4:28pm
I missed something. What did Bill do?

Bill = Bill Monroe. See picture here:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/uploads/monroe-headstock-large.jpg

Pikalot
Oct-30-2010, 4:48pm

Exactly. Gouge the name off and pick away. They're great instruments.

BTW.. One person that gets a couple of bad mandos and declares the whole line ####... There's an intellectual giant for you. Good grief.

CES
Oct-30-2010, 5:36pm
I think I'd take Dawg's approach, so that I could sell to upgrade later (he used electrical tape rather than a pocket knife)...

I was remarkably turned off by the name at first as well, but I played a 700 model for about 15 minutes a couple of weeks ago along side a Kentucky 505, 855, 630, a couple of J. Boviers, and an Eastman 615. IMO, which is humble indeed, the Loar was the best sounding and playing of the bunch, with equivalent set-ups; it and one of the Boviers were really close, actually. Granted, my sampling was limited to those few examples of their respective lines, I wasn't able to compare to a KM-1000, and I also prefer the wider nut of the Loar and Bovier which is probably why I liked them better. But, after playing one, I'd consider a Loar if I were actively shopping in that range, name notwithstanding.

And I do own a Kentucky 675-S built shortly after their move to China...they have absolutely improved their product over the last 6 or 7 years. And, I can't imagine their audacity, ripping off a whole STATE!!! Pretty much all of the imports, Eastman and Gold Tone maybe withstanding, try to tag their products with USA/bluegrassy sounding monikers...I'll just stop there. Suffice it to say I can see both sides of this discussion...

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-01-2010, 2:11am
From Blueron - "......but now I am beginning to wonder if it might have a hint of irony to it " - Just a tad Ron. For me,the name is pretentious at least. But,regardless of the name,they should be judged on their quality or not,which seems self evident.
Like nearly all the Pac-rim Instruments,they'll have their adimirers & detractors,if you find a good one what's not to like,if you don't,then purchase another make.
Re.names,personally i love the name "Kentucky". To me it's redolent af ''all things Bluegrass'',not least because it was the home state of the man who started it all off,
Ivan
PS - Oh dear !,something ain't working ! ie.no italics & no 'bold' lettering ???.