PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Stands

Coy Wylie
Jul-27-2010, 4:13pm
I tried searching for this topic as I'm sure it has been covered before but had no luck. I am looking for recommendations for some good floor stands for my mandolins. If you have one you particularly like, please let me hear from you. Thanks!

Jonathan Reinhardt
Jul-27-2010, 4:27pm
depends on what you need. security? portability?

I use K&M violin stands. very portable, simple, and easy. high quality. holds the mandolin firmly but nothing to keep it from being knocked off sideways with a good blow. I just place them out of harm's way.

search again, you'll find plenty about many different options.

Mike Bunting
Jul-27-2010, 4:28pm
I use the Ingles violin stand when I have a mando out to play in the living room, it's very stable.
http://www.musicstandsalone.com/product/LPD-SA20

I have some of the Hercules stands in the small room that I humidify for more permanent storage. They are very good too.
http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/ministands.html

I think that either type would serve you well.

B. T. Walker
Jul-27-2010, 4:36pm
Ingles violin stands, available at most music stores, are an excellent choice. Hercules makes a violin stand that is a good choice, too. The difference: Hercules hangs the instrument at the neck, Ingles rests the body of the mandolin on padded arms.

Phil Goodson
Jul-27-2010, 4:42pm
My all time favorite for 30 years. Hamilton (http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Hanging-Guitar-Stand-Chrome/dp/B0002TJO92)

I usually put a little padding around the upright to keep the mando from bumping.

JEStanek
Jul-27-2010, 4:44pm
For home use? String swing wall mount. Keeps the mandolins accessible but high and away from little fingers and cats-n-dogs.

Jamie

Cheryl Watson
Jul-27-2010, 5:14pm
I like the Hercules hanging stand for two mandolins since I always have two mandolins on stage with me. I think it is the GS422B or something similar to this. It holds the instruments higher so you don't have to bend over so far to take it out of the stand. They have been secure for me.

David Rambo
Jul-27-2010, 6:30pm
I use 2 Ingles violin stands, and am well pleased with them. I, however, have no small children or pets to worry about.

Shelagh Moore
Jul-27-2010, 6:31pm
I like the Konig and Meyer stands, which fold very flat, for home and gig use best out of the ones I have.

tburcham
Jul-27-2010, 7:28pm
Hercules all the way...guitars, mandolins and with some finagling your fiddle as well. I use the 3 instrument version. Love it.

Andrew DeMarco
Jul-27-2010, 7:40pm
I use a couple of string swing wall hangers. I also use a sliding tube guitar stand.... the tube of which I cut down using a hacksaw (so the top part which cradles the headstock will go low enough to support the mando headstock);)

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-28-2010, 5:57am
I use ordinary Guitar stands for both mine if i need to use one,
Ivan;)

ballynally
Jul-28-2010, 6:06am
in order: 1 Genesis gs100,2 Hamilton hanger kb-38, 3 k&m 17680 memphis 10. Take a closer look at the footing. Also you want the mando to hang from the top and to have padding to protect the mando from bumping in the back.You could take the other route: micstand violin hangers. Comfort cradle cc04 or k&m155. cheaper and sometimes the best solution. Mando stands where the mando rests on 2 poles can be a problem if you have a lead sticking out, or they are too light and not stable enough. If you bump into them from the side they will fall.That's no problem in the house, but on stage you need security

Avi Ziv
Jul-28-2010, 7:42am
Ingles on the floor and string swing on the wall. Both are very well made and work great for my purposes

JEStanek
Jul-28-2010, 7:50am
If money weren't an object, I would totally have one of these on my wall (http://guitargrip.com/Grips_Customs.htm). Zombie is a must, if you sound like the undead playing ;)

Lee
Jul-28-2010, 12:04pm
There's more here
www.gruven-stands.com

Shawn Gambrel
Jul-28-2010, 12:37pm
I have wall hangers but i second the Hamilton

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Hanging-Guitar-Stand-Chrome/dp/B0002TJO92

re simmers
Jul-28-2010, 1:05pm
I hang them on the wall in our spare room. I keep one on a yard sale stand next to the TV in the living room. Never on stage! I ALWAYS return it to a closed case on stage. I've seen too many people carelessly kick mandolins, stand included, because they were too focused on banjos, guitars, basses or microphones.

Bob

Mike Bunting
Jul-28-2010, 1:29pm
I hang them on the wall in our spare room. I keep one on a yard sale stand next to the TV in the living room. Never on stage! I ALWAYS return it to a closed case on stage. I've seen too many people carelessly kick mandolins, stand included, because they were too focused on banjos, guitars, basses or microphones.

Bob
I'm that paranoid about my axe too. Never on a stand on stage, only safely at home.

Coy Wylie
Jul-28-2010, 3:04pm
Thanks for all the replies and I did finally find an older thread too.