PDA

View Full Version : Hand held recording device

Martian
Jul-27-2010, 9:31am
I have seen a few of these out and about, and have heard some pretty good results. I am now showing my age, all of these I use to own were small tape machines. What is out ther now that is a good unit without leaving an arm, or leg? Maybe $200 area or am I way under? Also where would I start my shopping? thanks Mike

pickloser
Jul-27-2010, 10:20am
You aren't way under. I like my Zoom H2 digital recorder. I think you could get one for around $175--a used one for less. It's hand-sized and weighs maybe 8 ounces. The recorders now available can do amazing things (multiple tracks, editing capabilities, effects, slow-down without pitch change). Maybe take a look at Musicians Friend or Amazon website to see the range of what's available and the assorted features of the different units and look at customer reviews. Ease of use was important to me, and I just wanted rudimentary recording features. After identifying the recorders you think might suit you, I think it would be helpful to do a forum search on the recorders with the features you like.

Joe Mendel
Jul-27-2010, 10:38am
The Tascam DR-07 is really nice, too. I got mine from Sweetwater for about $150.00. It could hardly be easier to use.

Douglas McMullin
Jul-27-2010, 10:52am
I have an Edirol R-09HR. (http://www.edirol.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=332&Itemid=390) I don't use it all that often, but so far I would give it top marks for sound quality and general design.

Marc Berman
Jul-27-2010, 10:57am
Check out the new Zoom H1 (http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H1-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B003QKBVYK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1280246105&sr=8-1) only $99. I'm going to give my H2 to my daughter and order an H1.

NOTE! - I just checked availability. It was supposed to be avail. as of July 30th but now I see the new launch date is August 20th.

Don Grieser
Jul-27-2010, 11:33am
I'm happy with my Zoom H2. It's got 4 mics so you can record in an omni pattern--handy in a jam setting. Mine was $127 new at BSW with the TapeOp messageboard discount.

RobP
Jul-27-2010, 12:19pm
Another thumbs up for the Zoom H2

lenf12
Jul-27-2010, 3:52pm
The Tascam DR-07 is really nice, too. I got mine from Sweetwater for about $150.00. It could hardly be easier to use.

I got one of the DR-07s as well. It was advertised as a "Stupid Deal of the Day" at Musicians Friend for $100 delivered to my door. I've had it for 2 or 3 months and it sounds really good. It's very handy for recording lessons and jam sessions, etc. It sure helps to supplement my fading memory.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Gerard Dick
Jul-27-2010, 4:02pm
Why not go video while you're at it? ZOOM Q3 gives decent video and H2 quality sound.

Coffeecup
Jul-27-2010, 5:21pm
Another vote for H2, there is another thread here somewhere in which we discussed the various features. As you mentioned tape as the recording medium, the H2 uses an SD card which is useful.

jim_n_virginia
Jul-27-2010, 6:55pm
Check out the new Zoom H1

NOTE! - I just checked availability. It was supposed to be avail. as of July 30th but now I see the new launch date is August 20th.

Seems like the date has been moved back again to Sept. The H1 looks very interesting I may check it out myself.

I like my H2 and have used it a lot but it's a little more that what I need. The H1 looks smaller and easier to use. My biggest problem with the H2 is the screen is so small and hard to see. I hope they addressed this problem with the new version.

Tom Humphreys
Jul-27-2010, 9:31pm
Another happy H2 user here. I downgraded from the H4 (not the H4n) because I didn't need all the added complexity of 4-track recording and the tripod mount "sleeve" was kind of a POS. That H1 sure looks interesting! I actually find I don't use the four way mic'ing capability of the H2 very often.

JeffD
Jul-27-2010, 9:45pm
I really like my TASCAM DR-1. It does everything I want very easily, and a few things I can only dream of needing, with some effort.

Starrshine
Jul-27-2010, 11:07pm
Another vote for the H2. One thing that I do that quite a bit of fun, is to record a track and play it back thru this little amp that I have. I can then play over the top of the track. I put an 8 gig card in mine which gives me something like 12 hrs of recording ability.
Bob

Jon Hall
Jul-28-2010, 6:05am
I have a Tascam DR07 and use it daily while teaching my students. I download mp3s of the songs they are learning and play back thru an amp. The DR07 has slow down and key change functions enabling beginners to play along. It's funny...if you slow Taylor Swift down a whole lot she morphs into Johnny Cash.

Jim DeSalvio
Jul-28-2010, 8:15am
Mike,

I sent you a private message.

TonyP
Jul-28-2010, 4:17pm
After reading several threads here about the Zoom H2 I jumped on it. Being an old tape guy I'm very leery of the new stuff with it's small screens that just are not user friendly, or geezer friendly :)

It has turned out to be one of the most useful music tools I've bought in quite a while.

There's a lot to like, but the bottom line is it makes good recordings, and is totally easy to transfer to my pc. I just used it this morning to send other band members a run through of the new tune they all want to learn. It was so easy, I ended up sending 3 tunes!

John L
Jul-30-2010, 9:19pm
I really like my H2. Not sure how they can make it much simpler, but I will look at the H1s out of curiousity. I picked my H2 up for $80 used, and added an 8GB card when I found one on sale for <$20. Pretty cool little set up for under $100.

Rob Gerety
Jul-31-2010, 7:11am
I have an iPhone now for other reasons but the recording function is terrific. Long battery life and limitless disk space. Before that I used my iPod with a $50 speaker attachment. That also works great for the same reasons. I once had a H4 and it was fine but way more than I needed. I suggest when you are looking around keep in mind the price, the price for any needed extras, the battery life and the disk space. Be sure you will actually have enough battery life and disk space to do the sorts of things you are planning to do.

iPhone or iPod Classic are highly recommended for lots of reasons - recording function being only one.

John L
Jul-31-2010, 1:11pm
What format does an iPhone or iPod use, and does it record in stereo?

More comments in praise of ZOOM H2... the ZOOMs record in stereo, in WMA or MP3, with choice of quality depending on what you are using it for. The highest WMA settings are 24 bit. You can import WMA or MP3files into free software like Audacity, where you can edit or even add tracks. The unit itself can be used as a stereo mic for a computer. Forgot to mention another neat accessory, which is a mic-shaped thingy that screws into the bottom, allowing the unit to be mounted on a mic stand.

Martian
Jul-31-2010, 2:37pm
HI the martian here, want to thank all of you for your input and reviews of some of my many options with special thanks to desaljs. I just did my first trial recording,sitting in front of my stereo , holding onto my zoom H2. 2 thumbs way up. Easy to use, and wonderful quality, and probably far too many options for me to be able to use. Would recomend it to anyone.Thanks Mike