PDA

View Full Version : Ray Legere playing his Nugget

AlanN
Jul-21-2010, 10:48am
Haven't seen too many of him, he is the man

Tbone
Jul-21-2010, 10:57am
What is it with Nuggets and A styles? His A's seem to be much more popular than his F's. Is it a Tim O'Brien thing? Both the guys I know that have nugs have A's. I guess one local player has one of each, but he usually plays his A.

Ray is the man, though.

blacktop
Jul-21-2010, 12:24pm
listen to him on "the young mando monsters" from 1995. same great tone and a couple of great tunes. i believe this is the mandolin he won by placing 1st at winfield in 1986. wow! he also stepped in for bill monroe once in canada when bill took ill. wow again!

AlanN
Jul-21-2010, 12:54pm
New Market Gap
Common Denominator
Back Against The Wind
Bluegrass In The Backwoods
Bow Fire

are just a few of the things he has done. In addition, he has made available many transcriptions of his work, so you can see how he does it. Does that mean you can do it? I can't :))

Skip Kelley
Jul-21-2010, 2:32pm
Thanks Alan! He can tear it up! Those triplets...wow!!!!

misterb
Jul-21-2010, 7:46pm
Ray is the man, though.
Ray and Allen Bibey did a mandolin workshop at the Valley Bluegrass Festival, earlier this month. They played about 5 songs together WOW magic moment!!!
db

mandolirius
Jul-22-2010, 4:27am
Emory Lester told a story once about having a triplet contest with Ray......and losing!

AlanN
Jul-22-2010, 8:25am
misterb, is there an audio of that Meeting of the Monsters floating around by any chance? That pairing must have been fabulous.

Ray has a knack for making the simple sound fresh and new. Tunes like Ragtime Annie, Arkansas Traveller, Grey Eagle just sparkle when he picks them...no fair!

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-22-2010, 8:33am
I think that with Nuggets,it IS a 'Tim O'Brien thing' going on (IMHO) & there's nothing wrong with that. Tim's Mandolin has always sounded stunning & Mike K's reputation really took off when Tim O. began playing his & letting people hear it. Personally,i love "A" styles & had it not been for a fault with the one i had,i'd still have it. As it is, i have 2 'F' styles & i'm afraid that's how it'll have to stay for the time being,but if i ever do get the necessary mazzumas together to buy one,i'll buy another "A" style. I'm looking forward to having a pick on another 'Cafe member's Heiden "A" style next Monday evening,& i expect nothing less that it being superb !.
Mike K.has aquired a reputation for building terrific "A" styles & i think that possibly,that's simply what people want in a Nugget,a great sounding Mandolin which just happens to be an 'A' style,
Ivan

Paul Cowham
Jul-22-2010, 11:29am
I think that with Nuggets,it IS a 'Tim O'Brien thing' going on (IMHO) & there's nothing wrong with that. Tim's Mandolin has always sounded stunning & Mike K's reputation really took off when Tim O. began playing his & letting people hear it. Personally,i love "A" styles & had it not been for a fault with the one i had,i'd still have it. As it is, i have 2 'F' styles & i'm afraid that's how it'll have to stay for the time being,but if i ever do get the necessary mazzumas together to buy one,i'll buy another "A" style. I'm looking forward to having a pick on another 'Cafe member's Heiden "A" style next Monday evening,& i expect nothing less that it being superb !.
Mike K.has aquired a reputation for building terrific "A" styles & i think that possibly,that's simply what people want in a Nugget,a great sounding Mandolin which just happens to be an 'A' style,
Ivan

I hope it doesn't disappoint Ivan, I love my Heiden A and look forward to meeting you :mandosmiley:
To get back to topic..,I really like that clip, hadn't seen Ray before and it is good to see an A being played, I am amazed at how much more popular F models are given that A's are so much cheaper for an instrument sounding the same, I guess it's down to Bill Monroe and human nature of following fashions...

AlanN
Jul-22-2010, 11:56am
Ray had picked on that A for many years, as someone pointed out. Sounds terrific in his hands. As a working musician, he probably has the best mandolin he cares to have...and the price was right :mandosmiley:

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-22-2010, 11:36pm
MM - If your Heiden "A" is only half as good as the "F" style i played ( my then known 2 chords) 14 years ago,it'll be excellent, & i think that you're right re.the Bill Monroe connection. I'm sure that if BM had played an "A" style,things would be the other way around - provided the "A" style that he'd be playing sounded good in the first place. However, i know of one of our 'Cafe colleagues
who just wouldn't trade in his 'F' for an 'A' because he loves the styling of the 'F' models - there's nothing wrong with that either,
Ivan