PDA

View Full Version : Another masterclass

margora
Oct-04-2004, 8:38am
This past weekend the Providence Mandolin Orchestra held a workshop/masterclass with Tamara Volskaya and her husband Anatoliy Tromifov (who plays the bayan, the Russian accordion). In the morning Tamara coached the PMO and in the afternoon we had the masterclass. Your faithful correspondent performed two pieces with his duo partner, Josh Bell: (1) the "Cafe 1930" movement from Piazzolla's "History of the Tango" (originally for guitar and flute, I played guitar, Josh played the flute part on mandolin) and Eileen Packnenham's "Lark's Song" (mandolin duo). Later that evening I had a chance to play through Victor's piece "Differencias" privately for Tamara and got much useful advice (as on tempo, mine being too fast, and phrasing).

vkioulaphides
Oct-04-2004, 8:53am
Indeed, dear Tamara wrote to me of this in an email today, with much laudatory comment for you, Robert. She knows musicianship when she hears it.

Incidentally, she also asked how she can announce El Malecón from the stage; she does have a rare knack for "tuning in" her audience with her charming remarks. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

A charming lady, all around. You are lucky to have spent some time working with her. Shamefully enough —the shame on ME, of course— and although we live in the same city, I see her rarely, all too rarely.

Jim Garber
Oct-04-2004, 9:03am
Speaking of which, Victor... Do you know if Tamara runs any workshops in or near the city or would you be willing to approach her about doing a workshop or master class?

I actually have a space available and quite suitable near to me that would be great if she were willing.

Jim

vkioulaphides
Oct-04-2004, 10:01am
I don't know whether she does, Jim. I could approach her or, if you wish, I could give you her email address and/or phone number. I am sure she would be happy to hear from either one of us.

Jim Garber
Oct-04-2004, 10:15am
Maybe you could start the ball rolling and see if she is at all interested.

Jim

vkioulaphides
Oct-04-2004, 10:16am
Oh, Jim... If I do so, I would be implying that I myself can actually make it to said masterclass. Now, my friend, you KNOW I have no life, don't you?

margora
Oct-04-2004, 11:59am
Victor: I'm thrilled! BTW, she runs a GREAT masterclass, very helpful to performers -- as I'm sure you know some masterclasses come from the dark side of the force. Note #1: I also had a chance to play her Pandini, a very nice mandolin, easy to play, loud, very nicely made. Note #2: there was a new domra there, too, courtesy of Tamara, brought back from Moscow (I think) for Mark Davis -- I played this one too, and it was great fun and very revealing. The neck was unvarnished, and very violin-like. Tremolo was not quite as easy to achieve (being a 4-string instrument) but violin music (eg. Bach) appeared to be easier to execute on the domra than on the mandolin (at least for me).