PDA

View Full Version : Bouzouki string gauges

Martin Jonas
Oct-04-2004, 5:54am
I've been having fun trying to find my way around my new Troubadour bouzouki (my first dipping of the toe in CBOM land). #I was wondering what string gauges/makes others have been using on that scale length (660m/26in). #For the time being, I'm going with GGDDAAee to minimise mental realignment, but might switch to GGDDAAdd at some stage. #Dave Kilpatrick recommends .11 to .39, i.e. a typical mandolin gauge. #The Newtone sets he sells are (just) long enough for the instrument and I've ordered a set. #I tried putting D'Addario J74s on in the meantime and found to my surprise that the wound strings are a few centimetres longer than the bare strings, with the difference being exactly in the critical range (i.e. the wound string fit but the bare strings won't).

Unfortunately, the actual length of strings doesn't seem to be advertised anywhere, so unless I go for a dedicated OM or mandola set (which presumably are going to be long enough), it seems like I have to stick with Newtones or take my chances.

All of the dedicated OM sets that are being sold seem to be heavier gauge than recommended by Dave for the Troubadour (e.g. J80s at 12-22-32-46). #Has anybody tried these gauges on a Troubadour?

Martin

Jacob
Oct-04-2004, 7:20am
The La Bella set is close to the recommended string sizes.
La Bella Irish Bouzouki Metal 8 String (http://www.juststrings.com/lab-ibz508.html): .011, .016, .028, .040
The wound strings use stainless steel.

Mandolin-AL
Oct-04-2004, 5:17pm
hi
I to have just got a Troubadour Zouk its great so thanks for the info on the strings .......and the other thing i just got from the same compney is tere Jumplead makes life way easier to tune up in the Class and the sessions too have a look at there site its well worth it!!

Keep pickin
Mandolin-AL